How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-07-2009
backstage pass

That look can be achieved either through using a film camera or photoshop.

The first question is, do you have photoshop or a program like it?

Ex: Gimp, paint.net, and photoscape are all free.

Once we get that clear, I can maybe whip you up a little tutorial.

It's taken me a while to figure it out, but it's neat. I love that look in pictures.

13-07-2009
front row

^^ i have gimp and photoshop. any help would be greatly appreciated!!

17-09-2009
THE STRANGER

Flash doesn't make photographs look tacky. You just have to chose the right occasion. A speedlite REALLY helps.

Riot Bug

One essential tip white balance is soooooooo important!!

rising star

I need a bit of help too. I am really keen to learn how to take great portrait/editorial style photos and I hve all the camera and equiptment, but....... I am absolutely crp at working the camera, I know basically what partrait is and that is all.
I am trying to get in heaps of practice with my forever obliging friend but it always seems to have just that one thing wrong with it every time.
Anyway, the main problem is 1. the lighting 2. the angle although I think this is my best 'natural' ability with photography. 3. my general ignorance I have no idea what a shudder/shutter?? speed does for a pic.

Here are some that I would love nowing how I can achieve similar results. I know I don't have a crew of models and make-up artists to help and I am no Miesel but hopefully I can get something alike:

Any help would be much appreciated.

All pics i got from the specific models link on the website herfamedgoodlooks.com

22-10-2009
Riot Bug

3 , 4 and 5 seems quite whitey so in purpose but... All those shoots are very photoshopped... the first and SECOND ONE are clearly big time retouched...and the others too...colors faded and all.
You can try to get some nice shoots but A) don't copy and while working with phtoshop must be a clean work which means time... unless you want just enhance a bit the light or fix some lil' imperfections... otherwise... on editorials pictures go by too many filters...

Try to get a simply knowledge about photography to try things... there's not a recipe...specially when every cam and every people tastes are different... and so the light of the day and so how much you can change all of that with a photoshop surgery... im not a fan of that massive surgery personally...
So its not too difficult to find information on the net about anything these days... also helps know your camera well... so you can get the most of it... And like my dad always told me you gotta "see it"... if not you can know all the rules but you wont get anything touching.

Which camera do you have? Do you have problems to find some basic principles about photography?
Im sorry if my reply disappoint you but you know most of the things u see on mags are fake right? I like old school...but thats a personal taste! hehe

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Of Love View Post
I need a bit of help too. I am really keen to learn how to take great portrait/editorial style photos and I hve all the camera and equiptment, but....... I am absolutely crp at working the camera, I know basically what partrait is and that is all.
I am trying to get in heaps of practice with my forever obliging friend but it always seems to have just that one thing wrong with it every time.
Anyway, the main problem is 1. the lighting 2. the angle although I think this is my best 'natural' ability with photography. 3. my general ignorance I have no idea what a shudder/shutter?? speed does for a pic.

Here are some that I would love nowing how I can achieve similar results. I know I don't have a crew of models and make-up artists to help and I am no Miesel but hopefully I can get something alike:
As ediewho pointed out, almost all photographs in magazines are edited in some shape or form. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. The thing is, you don't need to take photographs like Meisel, or any other photographer for that manner. If you're truly interested in photography, which I suspect you are, your own personal style will begin to show over time, just like it did with Meisel.

What I'd do in your situation is start from scratch: Learn about photography basics, like aperture, shutter speeds, and ISO (this article from Photo.net is helpful); read your camera's manual from front to back, and most importantly, take pictures every day.

Riot Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanutbutter View Post
As ediewho pointed out, almost all photographs in magazines are edited in some shape or form. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. The thing is, you don't need to take photographs like Meisel, or any other photographer for that manner. If you're truly interested in photography, which I suspect you are, your own personal style will begin to show over time, just like it did with Meisel.

What I'd do in your situation is start from scratch: Learn about photography basics, like aperture, shutter speeds, and ISO (this article from Photo.net is helpful); read your camera's manual from front to back, and most importantly, take pictures every day.
wise words seanutbutter

rising star

Seanbutter and ediwho you are awesome, thanks!
I have a canon 400d with a 75mm and 35mm lense

27-10-2009
The future is stupid

I agree with what edie & seanutbutter both said... but I'd also like to add that it doesn't matter what kind of camera you have. I've seen beautiful images taken with disposable cameras & iPhones. Powerful images are created by people... not cameras.

28-10-2009
Riot Bug

^its right what MissMagAddict says its important learn how to see, see the picture... you wont find that on any book but in your own personal experience... & you can have the most expensive camera, lens whatever but if you cannot see the picture is not gonna work...
i did started with not the best equipment... & I was like complaining I couldnt make it that well as others... then a friend told me something very wise: "you have THIS... get the most of it..." And some of my pictures have been chose before other that have been taken with more complete equipments...

You need to start to know some basis cause photography is light... its playing with the light... what we see is light... so once you start learning about luminosity of the lenses, white balance, speed,... i mean you can get that info really easy and believe me how much more you learn its getting out there and practice... work your a** off in what you want... then you can get lots of good captures...
One of my biggest inspiration has been my dad cause our favourite photographer is (rest in peace) the greatest Henry Cartier-Bresson and his idea of catch that moment!

"The simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as the precise organization of forms which gives that event its proper expression... . In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotif." — Henri Cartier-Bresson

I hope this encourage you a bit more

fashion insider

I was wondering if you guys think its necessary to have a reflex or can you still take good pictures with a bridge? (ok that question sounds very simple and the obvious answer will be as long as you take good and like the picture a bridge will be fine but i looking for a deeper answer )

also whats a good free programto retouch pictures?
And finally, if i post pictures here does anyone think they can help me find the right settings and photoshop steps?

karma to anyone that can help!

backstage pass

^Well I can help you on the free retouch part of your question:

Paint.net, Gimp, and Photoscape are all excellent programs to edit photos. I use all of them still, even though I recently got photoshop.

And it doesn't hurt to try posting pics. You might get some good feedback.

fashion insider

okk ill download those

here i go: i wanted to know how to get polaroid effect, and this pictures light effect Also how to catch diffracted light...?
it just annoyes me sometimes with new camaras, that you get so clear images, like i tried taking this place with a special lighting i saw my camara caught then all of a sudden on the picture i took there was nothing it lost its charm...

pic: style.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zmf39e.jpg (67.0 KB, 5 views)

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea.RL View Post
okk ill download those

here i go: i wanted to know how to get polaroid effect, and this pictures light effect Also how to catch diffracted light...?
it just annoyes me sometimes with new camaras, that you get so clear images, like i tried taking this place with a special lighting i saw my camara caught then all of a sudden on the picture i took there was nothing it lost its charm...

pic: style.com
In regards to the lighting on this picture, it is easy to see that the light is directly behind the subjects head. That creates the halo effect. The rest of the inquiries are things that come with a mix of lots of practice and reading your camera's manual while playing around with aperture, shutter speeds etc.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
photography, tips