How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-10-2010
windowshopping

The best advice I can give is to just take photos. Play with your camera's settings. Experiment with harsh angles and harsh lighting. Some of it might work. Try not to copy others because you'll just get frustrated when you can't achieve a similar look.

As others have said, most editorial images - in fact most fashion images - are touched up. Almost to the point where the original would be unrecognisable (and sometimes not even very good.)

Even though it might not be the best idea to copy photographs you like you should certainly draw inspiration from them. If you find yourself liking all the shots of models with big hair then get a model with big hair. If you were bowled over by an image of a gentleman in a suit in the woods then maybe think about photographing something that seems out of place - medieval dress in the city?

When I first started getting into photography I used modelmayhem.com. It's a directory of models/photographers/stylists/make up artists etc. I found a few models though it, in my area, who were willing to work TFCD (time for CD). This basically means that you shoot them and give them a CD of images as payment. So essentially you are getting a model to work for free so you can both build your portfolios.

A big part of fashion/editorial photography is the technical side. To get to know photoshop/gimp etc. Google 'tutorials.' You should be able to find loads of tips, tricks and how to guides that will take you through the photo editing process. Through these tutorials I taught myself PS.

Hope that helps! I'm always happy to chat about photography!

11-07-2011
Fashion Designer

Is this some effect you can get with your camera or is it retouched? I like the softness of the edges and the blurred background.

petite-lapine.tumblr.com

25-07-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellat View Post
Is this some effect you can get with your camera or is it retouched? I like the softness of the edges and the blurred background.
The blurred background you can absolutely do with the camera if you have some level of manual control. If you set a wide aperture (as low a number as you can get, really), the camera will automatically throw the background out of focus. It helps to have your focal image a little distance away from the background.

31-07-2012
V.I.P.

i have purchased a acetate slide plate negative. Itís a press only item of a band I like. I want to make a huge print of the image.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Should I just drop it off at a photo place and ask them to do it? or does it require more specialized equipment?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
photography, tips