How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-08-2008
dream a little dream...

the idiots guide to photoshop
How do i make avatars!? hahaha i used to be so good at making them, then i got a new computer without photoshop on it and ive made do without it ever since.
but im doing a trial version of photoshop elements, because i dont have cash right now, and randomly wanted to remember how to do it.
All i remember is that you open the image, set the mode to fixed aspect ratio and then put it either 1:1 or 2:1 depending on if its a wide avatar or an 80x80. THEN, you use the marquee tool to select the part of the image that you want tohave your avatar be...and then i forget.

haha, i know some people just crop a whole image, but if i wanted to make multiple avatars (and i know theres the avatar thread, but im just stubborn and frustrated that i used to know and now forgot, so im determined to re-learn...) from one image then i wouldnt have to crop it. so im wondering..if this sounds familiar to any avatar makers, let me know! fill me in the rest! i would be eternally grateful (and geeky)

10-08-2008
V.I.P.

are you saying you want to resize pictures so that they fit in an avatar ? instead of cropping

10-08-2008
dream a little dream...

hm..essentially.
but nevermind! i was extremely focused on finding the answer and i figured it out.
so its no longer a problem!

turn and face the strange

anyone know of some good tutorials on Layers/color correction online? I'm looking for the types of techniques used in LJ icons, etc (except more subtle). If you're not familiar, it's a glowy type of processing that almost looks like crossprocessed film but not that literal or extreme.

attempts so far:

17-09-2008
V.I.P.

could u show the original photo? (one or two)
so we can see the difference

17-09-2008
turn and face the strange

ah sure, I should have done that in the beginning to show what it is I wanted to change!

I tried using fill layers, curves, and all that good stuff. Just wondering where to find other help on the subject.

24-02-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourboltmain View Post
I like taking pixelated shots, like 1600 ISO or so and then ADDING grain in Photoshop to make it look like old film. The trick is to get it black and white, no greys. Then separate the lows, mids and highs.

'But wait FBM! You said no greys!'

I did! Your greys are now determined by density, if you get my drift. Then I separate them with the magic wand and add all kinds of harsh grain to the darkest, then less to the mids, and a little less to the highs. Then SMACK! You flatten that b!tch out and you have just stuck vector info (the grain, believe it or not) onto a raster file (the bitmap) that actually fools the eye into thinking you have resolution in the disguise of grain.

If you're talking about putting putting those nifty frames around the shots with the film ID, like 'ILFORD HP5 >> 5 >>', add an outside stroke in black and then go back and find a font that looks close. I find Swiss 721 works best: http://www.fontpool.com/fonts/bitstream/swiss_721.html

And, to get that Hasselblad effect, just cut the corners on the shots. I've been taping off the corners on my Holgas just to peeve the Hassie fans.

Of course, the best way to get the mid format look is to use one and scan your images in for tweaking. You can get an RB67 for $300 on fLeabay!
thanks for sharing fourboltmain! i will do a bw photoshoot soon and this would be helpful

24-05-2011
oh! darling

How does one get this coloring?

movescript-endings.tumblr.com

Fashion Designer

with curves, you'll need to convert your picture to CMYK settings and then with curves elevate the black and magenta levels, a bit of blue I would guess too, but mostly magenta.

25-05-2011
trendsetter

#98 I think it's called 'Lomo', here's a tutorial from youtube.

I tried to make it.

pic by me

26-05-2011
oh! darling

Hey, not bad! Thanks for the help.

Lomo. Will be remembering that. It makes everything look so vintage-y.

trendsetter

Thanks fot he video tutorial, it is amazing.
In Ligthroom, you can make these effects but it is more easy.

backstage pass

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked, I didn't see if it was!
Are most photoshop platforms created semi-equally? In other words, if I follow instructions on how to do something for a different PS, can I do the same thing on mine (as in the buttons/brushes/etc)? Granted some PS do more than others - but for general things.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
illustrator, photos, photoshop, qanda, retouching