How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-11-2004
windowshopping

Ripping / cutting / distressing Jeans
How do you guys rip your jeans? What do you use to rip jeans?
And where do you rip?
I sometimes go overboard and makes it look really horrible. I messed up several pair of jeans. I don't know where I should cut so it is just right, I always rip too much or too little.

My method isn't the best and easiest. I'm hoping someone could share theirs to make my life easier...
What I basically did was.. get the sharp end of sisscors and scrap the jeans until there was a hole. Then put them in the washer. I learned this somewhere but it was pretty difficult for me and the results were never what I wanted them to be...

Also how could I alter my jeans to I can shorten the length without making them look too weird. Just cutting the ends off always look a bit odd. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance...

03-11-2004
V.I.P.

If I want ripped/cut/distressed jeans, I buy 'em that way.

Regarding shortening the length, buy a sewing machine and learn how to hem. It's really easy.

03-11-2004
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by AlexN@Nov 3 2004, 04:17 PM
If I want ripped/cut/distressed jeans, I buy 'em that way.

Regarding shortening the length, buy a sewing machine and learn how to hem. It's really easy.
[snapback]416769[/snapback]
I buy mine that way also, but sometimes I just wear and abuse them enough were they rip on their own.

05-11-2004
windowshopping

Just wash them all the time, whenever you do laundry, even if they aren't dirty. The constant drying will wear them in no time.

And if you're REALLY desperate for some nice natural-looking tears and rips around the knees ... put them on and fall on your knees (as if you tripped) on concrete. I know this sounds ridiculous , but it works. Never tried it on purpose, though. Just be careful not to bang up your knees too bad.

06-11-2004
rising star

i have friends who've done the cheese grater & sandpaper thing. i have yet to try it, but in addition to those, i'm also going to try a pumice stone as well.

06-11-2004
windowshopping

the best way i have found for distressing boring blue jeans is a four step porcess:

1. take a cup of lemon juic and 1/4 salt, and 1/4 water, mix it all around in a bowl then use a paint brush to spread the mix over the parts of the jeans you want faded. Then, lay them in the sun for about two-four hours or until they are dry.

2. after you have the initial fade on them, get them dirty. Find someone with a truck (4wd) and tie the pants to the end of the truck with some rope so they drag behind it. Take the truck off road and get the pants as muddy and grungy as you can.

3. fold the pants into thirds so that the front knees are on top, turn the pants face down, with the knees in graval, run over the pants with the truck a couple of times, and if you want really extream distress, try pealing out a couple of times over the jeans.
once you achieve the rips you want lay the jeans in a patch of grass, spray them down with a hose, stomp on them a little too if you want grass stains. let them dry,
and then wash them on heav duty cyle with no detergent, let them sun dry again and then wash and wear as usual!

I did this with a boring pair of gap jeans a couple of weeks ago, it worked perfectly!

front row

My friend makes a little snip where he wants the ripped effect, then patiently picks the threads out.. to his desired size. and trust me, they look really good and 'professional' if i can call it that.

07-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Judea@Nov 6 2004, 03:06 PM
...Find someone with a truck (4wd) and tie the pants to the end of the truck with some rope so they drag behind it. Take the truck off road and get the pants as muddy and grungy as you can...run over the pants with the truck a couple of times, and if you want really extream distress, try pealing out a couple of times over the jeans...
[snapback]420690[/snapback]
I'm seriously laughing so hard.

07-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by kealoha@Nov 6 2004, 05:38 AM
i have friends who've done the cheese grater & sandpaper thing. i have yet to try it, but in addition to those, i'm also going to try a pumice stone as well.
[snapback]420304[/snapback]
My friend's done that too. I thought she bought them distressed!

But yeah, I'm crap at these things. I buy them ripped/distressed.

front row

Quote:
Originally posted by kealoha@Nov 6 2004, 10:38 AM
[snapback]420304[/snapback]
Could you explain it please? Cause mine end up looking really bad too...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Judea@Nov 6 2004, 03:06 PM
the best way i have found for distressing boring blue jeans is a four step porcess:

1. take a cup of lemon juic and 1/4 salt, and 1/4 water, mix it all around in a bowl then use a paint brush to spread the mix over the parts of the jeans you want faded. Then, lay them in the sun for about two-four hours or until they are dry.

3. fold the pants into thirds so that the front knees are on top, turn the pants face down, with the knees in graval, run over the pants with the truck a couple of times, and if you want really extream distress, try pealing out a couple of times over the jeans.

I'm going to try those two steps... only with a 2000 Chevy Lumina

07-11-2004
windowshopping

I've tried the cheesegrater idea and although its kind of time consuming, it can work pretty well. I like the way mine came out, but I still like the pair I bought better. I personally feel like they look better with more of the thread visible, like on the store bought ones, and its hard to achieve that by hand unless you spend crazy amounts of time on it as far as I know. I'd say if you've got some extra money you might be happier just buying a pair.

07-11-2004
More Old Skool Than You

I destroyed a pair of a girlfriend's jeans by doing a burnout on them. 450 pounds of torque made quick work of her Guess jeans.

rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by SpookyGirl@Nov 7 2004, 02:20 AM
Could you explain it please? Cause mine end up looking really bad too...
[snapback]421413[/snapback]
they've taken the grater to any part of jeans they want & scraped away to the desired effect. as for sandpaper, it's best to use a course & fine grit to scuff the fibers nicely.

to create the holes, i know one friend has sliced a horizontal hole w/a box cutter, & then done the cheese grater & sandpaper thing over it. toss in the washer & dryer for the frayed effect.

i've also considered soaking them overnight in a mixture of water & coffee for a stained effect. i'm hoping the pumice stone will also distress them nicely. i haven't tried it yet, but that's a project for this week.

08-11-2004
Storm & Sommer

Quote:
Originally posted by Judea@Nov 6 2004, 04:06 PM

2. after you have the initial fade on them, get them dirty. Find someone with a truck (4wd) and tie the pants to the end of the truck with some rope so they drag behind it. Take the truck off road and get the pants as muddy and grungy as you can.

once you achieve the rips you want lay the jeans in a patch of grass, spray them down with a hose, stomp on them a little too if you want grass stains. let them dry,
and then wash them on heav duty cyle with no detergent, let them sun dry again and then wash and wear as usual!

I did this with a boring pair of gap jeans a couple of weeks ago, it worked perfectly!
Woah that's some serious manhours involved in that process..
can't decide if you're being sarcastic Judea..or

pinterest : hanneonpin
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cutting, distressing, jeans, ripping