Sewing - Page 15 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
12-07-2005
retro queen

Amazing sewing! Karma to everyone (that I'm allowed to give it to).

12-07-2005
ingenue

aww, thank you chanel, sos, francesca, softie, and charlotte.

so much fabric, must keep busy.

14-07-2005
windowshopping

Fabulyss -- I would suggest hashing out your ideas with an artist or a fellow aspiring designer with sketching skills. From there you can work with someone who can sew.

utopia -- Love the brocade.

I'm thinking of removing the damn motor on my ancient singer (totally no speed control, totally horrific for a beginner) and reverting to the pedal thing. Anyone here still use a machine the old fashioned way?

14-07-2005
ingenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by saloPedantic
I'm thinking of removing the damn motor on my ancient singer (totally no speed control, totally horrific for a beginner) and reverting to the pedal thing. Anyone here still use a machine the old fashioned way?
well my sewing machine used to be my mum's - she got it in 1978, so it's several years older than me. hey it works even if it's extremely old fashioned and a bit harder to work!

btw thanks

Last edited by utopia; 14-07-2005 at 01:12 PM.

14-07-2005
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saloPedantic
Fabulyss -- I would suggest hashing out your ideas with an artist or a fellow aspiring designer with sketching skills. From there you can work with someone who can sew.

utopia -- Love the brocade.

Hey, just practise a bit... Practise makes perfect, you need to learn to control the beast...

My sewing machine is positively ancient, I bought it years ago 2nd hand; the user guide has instructions for electric as well as manual models... :p

But I'm not complaining, it's absolutely excellent! Perfect stitches and everything, an extremely solid piece of machinery!

15-07-2005
windowshopping

Manual ones are the non-electric ones right? I'm trying not to sound that clueless but I gotta start somewhere right? Thanks to you both, you're very encouraging.

Last edited by saloPedantic; 15-07-2005 at 02:48 AM. Reason: typo

29-07-2005
tea time

right at this moment i am sewing a waistcoat since it seems to be a trend at the moment and i really wanted one

i had to adapt a pattern from one of my mothers old burda magazines but its going great so far *fingers crossed*

i am making it plain black with a bright red satin lining

i dont know whether to go for small buttons or big ones i'll probs just see what i can find!

promise to post pictures when i've finished

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/

31-07-2005
V.I.P.

Ok Here is something i made, I had loads of scraps of ribbons and thread and materials so i put them to gether in a kind of stripey patchwork and made a make up bag. Kind of random but it killed alot of time.

THe other week i had to be up at 4am so i needed to get to bed early but it wasnt dark enough for me to be able to sleep so i ran up an eye mask it only took like 10 mins which is why its so messy. I drew the eyes on it with a fabric pen.

These were little felt monster things i made using scraps of felt and stuffing. Ok not fashion related but fun to make neither the less.

31-07-2005
offline.

Usually.. the older/heavier the machine.. the better it will work.

31-07-2005
offline.

utopia and lolita.. i'm impressed!

31-07-2005
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiamaria
Ok not fashion related but fun to make neither the less.

And that's what's important, enjoying it! You've been getting creative all over the place from what I've seen in different places, keep it up!

31-07-2005
elementary.

tiamaria tht bag is cute !
& i love felt

31-07-2005
tea time

great sewing there tia cant really see the monsters though which is a shame got a bigger picture?

ok so i took the pictures of my waistcoat i made

i had to modify the pattern from an old burda one that my mother had ( pics included)

it was a test run but im really happy with the results. i love to put bright satin linings in my clothes even when they are plain i find it fun and i have a ton of that red left

the back panels are a lining material which is a contrast to the front which is plain black cotton. i was going to go for big buttons to fasten it up but then thought that alot of smaller buttons wold look better ( i think they are very underated at the moment)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w.jpg (114.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg w1.jpg (151.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg w2.jpg (124.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg w3.jpg (97.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg w4.jpg (91.9 KB, 8 views)

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/

31-07-2005
V.I.P.

Thanks every one for your comments ill make the pic bigger and boots ... sorry elegance love the waistcoat, i like the lining :p

31-07-2005
backstage pass

elegance! that waistcoat is super cute! can we get a pic of the back? the contrasting textures of the fabrics sound really nice!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sewing