How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

03-12-2004
urd
tfs star

i'm studying tayloring as well. most of the stuff i still buy from stores, but it fits better if you do it yourself

03-12-2004
front row

No, but I would love to learn because it sounds so romantic!

03-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by utopia@Dec 1 2004, 01:37 PM
when I go home for the holidays (and return to my beloved sewing machine), I am planning to make a 'bustled' black miniskirt, like this one from http://store.virginthreads.com/.
I love the idea of the draped front and longer back. I made a costume by hand for a friend of mine recently that was a bit like this, but the fabric I was provided with was rubbish (recycled from a cheap rayon marks & spencer skirt)...so I'm determined to make one for myself, using nice materials and good finishing details.
[snapback]446247[/snapback]
That skirt is very nice in person

I try to sew, I'm quite pathetic with the machine and cuting

03-12-2004
backstage pass

I am planning to make this soon:

It's going to be multi-layered extremeply light cream chiffon with shiny green embroidered leaves

Sorry for the crappy drawing - doesn't show what it looks like in my head exactly

Beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation.

03-12-2004
no photos, no photos

evexa--if you didn't see it in the customisations thread, Gorgeous wedding dress, Great Job!
I've been sewing since I was 14 (18 yrs). It all started with the Jams trend of the mid 80s. My mom refused to pay money for them and made me a pair. When I wanted more, she didn't have the time and showed me how to do it myself....and I never looked back. I think I got the best of both worlds because my mom is very crafty (more crafty than fashionable) and my dad can put anything together just by looking at it. According to my birth numbers I am a process person which fits in perfectly. I have very little training, and am pretty much self taught. I must say, I think I'm pretty good. For lack of a serger, I do everything with French seams, but lately I have been putting the seams to the outside and leaving them raw. I draft patterns from scratch for simpler pieces. More tailored things I start with a store bought pattern and alter it for details. I use a lot of old 60s and 70s patterns when making shirts for myself because menswear was so much trimmer then. Unfortunately, I have a hard time making nice dress pants that fit me properly.

03-12-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by purechris@Dec 3 2004, 03:58 PM
evexa--if you didn't see it in the customisations thread, Gorgeous wedding dress, Great Job!
I've been sewing since I was 14 (18 yrs). It all started with the Jams trend of the mid 80s. My mom refused to pay money for them and made me a pair. When I wanted more, she didn't have the time and showed me how to do it myself....and I never looked back. I think I got the best of both worlds because my mom is very crafty (more crafty than fashionable) and my dad can put anything together just by looking at it. According to my birth numbers I am a process person which fits in perfectly. I have very little training, and am pretty much self taught. I must say, I think I'm pretty good. For lack of a serger, I do everything with French seams, but lately I have been putting the seams to the outside and leaving them raw. I draft patterns from scratch for simpler pieces. More tailored things I start with a store bought pattern and alter it for details. I use a lot of old 60s and 70s patterns when making shirts for myself because menswear was so much trimmer then. Unfortunately, I have a hard time making nice dress pants that fit me properly.
[snapback]449427[/snapback]
Thank you for the compliment! I just read the thread.
That is awesome, I loved the stuff you posted in the other thread too. You can get sergers pretty cheap in the US - where are you based?

Beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation.

04-12-2004
windowshopping

Hi,

I'd really love to learn how to sew except that I don't have the time or resources to take an actual sewing class. Do you think it's realistic to self-teach myself how to sew? I went to the library and checked out some books about sewing. I've never picked up a needle and thread in my life so I really have no experience.

Also, if you have taught yourself how to sew, are there any particularly good books out there? The ones I got from the library are just kind of so so.

And to any Bostonians out there, do you know of any good and cheap (and accesible by T) sewing stores?

Thanks!

04-12-2004
offline.

it's realistic to teach yourself. I bought myself an educational sewing machine... they're used in classrooms

04-12-2004
no photos, no photos

It's actually pretty simple to learn by yourself. You must have patience! I would check with your local fabric stores to see about classes. Most machines come with a tutorial video to get to know your machine. Talk to the employees at the fabric stores to get suggestions on Easy patterns and fabrics to work with for beginners.

Have patience with yourself. Even the most experienced sewers have to rip seams out every once in a while.

04-12-2004
fashion icon

I took some sewing classes in middle school and absolutely hated it...which sucks because I really wish I knew how to deconstruct items of clothing and customize them the way I like it.

06-12-2004
ingenue

Quote:
Originally posted by Spacemiu@Dec 3 2004, 12:03 PM
That skirt is very nice in person
[snapback]449032[/snapback]

evexa, I cannot say it enough, I love the design for your new dress! the leaves remind me a lot of art nouveau. absolutely stunning.

09-12-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by utopia@Dec 6 2004, 08:47 AM

evexa, I cannot say it enough, I love the design for your new dress! the leaves remind me a lot of art nouveau. absolutely stunning.
[snapback]453158[/snapback]
thank you <3
We shoudl team up

09-12-2004
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I used to sew Barbie's clothing (but not my own).

I don't suppose that counts?

09-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

look at the GORGEOUS new scarf that purechris made for me...i just got it...and i can't wait to wear it...!!!

thanks chris!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (214.2 KB, 414 views)

09-12-2004
no photos, no photos

Oh my! I'm glad you like it. I can't seem to get enough of it and I have it in 2 diff plaids and am thinking of another.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sewing