Sewing - Page 22 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
12-12-2005
windowshopping

Hello! Newly joined sewer. Have been sewing since I was 8 (I'm 25 now) and am venturing away from mixing and matching patterns into maybe drafting my own.... Will try to get some pics on here soon. Have been cooing at your various creations while I should have been working hard!!

Hyde Park Lover: you may want to consider sari weight poly viscose (try Shepherds Bush) or silk habotai to get the sheen that is in the pictures...

and Urd.. I'd like to make a skirt like below for my brother's wedding but can't find any patterns at all. The puff's in the shops seem to have their hems gathered onto a less-full and slightly shorter lining fabric. Is that it? Do you know how to make it so drapy and full? Making it in thai silk or dupion should help...Would tulle help do you think?

Thanks for your help and happy sewing !!

12-12-2005
fashion elite

cheers very much strawberry! welcome to tFS

12-12-2005
urd
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by strwberrydelight

and Urd.. I'd like to make a skirt like below for my brother's wedding but can't find any patterns at all. The puff's in the shops seem to have their hems gathered onto a less-full and slightly shorter lining fabric. Is that it? Do you know how to make it so drapy and full? Making it in thai silk or dupion should help...Would tulle help do you think?

here is a buff skirt I made. it has about 3 metres of cotton fabric and the same amount of tulle.

I think tulle will definetely help, and also that you get enough fabric. and the lining should be short enough compared to the skirt fabric.

I think you should take a picture of the skirt you want to create to the fabric shop, and ask help from the sales people. I think it would be more helpfull that my poor advices in my poor english..

12-12-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasscam
I'm taking a sewing course next year
I can't wait!
Wow that sounds awesome!! So not fair!!

My fave models: Gemma, Sasha, Stammy, Trentini, Vlada <3

12-12-2005
about to fall or fly

hey hye

maybe linen would also be nice for that type of dress? it's loose and falls really pretty. i'd love to see the finished product, whenever you have it done i have about a billion sewing projects that i swear i'm going to get to soon

mouko, that skirt is really nice and it looks awesome on your friend.

urd, i love that chocolate mint dress and i think it would be so beautiful as a pouf!

12-12-2005
tfs star

I just bought 40-ish silk scarves, and I'm gonna go on a skirt-making spree as soon as they are washed (thrift store). There are some such awesome ones- lots of long, thin, jewel-toned ones, along with massive bright ones with place-names and big doodles on. Many dotty ones too.

-G.

12-12-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargirl52
I just bought 40-ish silk scarves, and I'm gonna go on a skirt-making spree as soon as they are washed (thrift store). There are some such awesome ones- lots of long, thin, jewel-toned ones, along with massive bright ones with place-names and big doodles on. Many dotty ones too.

-G.
Wow can't wait to see the finished results!!!!

12-12-2005
tfs star

Nor can I cardboardboxed... they smelt bad so my mother is washing them... twice. It will be worth it though. There's one that's huuuge and says 'A Souvenir From Panama' and has all these picture of scenes there, that's gonna be a flicky square skirt.

-G.

12-12-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargirl52
Nor can I cardboardboxed... they smelt bad so my mother is washing them... twice. It will be worth it though. There's one that's huuuge and says 'A Souvenir From Panama' and has all these picture of scenes there, that's gonna be a flicky square skirt.

-G.
Hahah twice?! wow... I love square skirts, my best friend in hs had an amazing one.. when she wore it she looked like a fairy... I can't wait to see how it turns out, I may have to copy you teehee

12-12-2005
tfs star

Done one skirt- from a Panama scarf. It's slightly deformed, but it only took me 2 or so minutes to make. It's for really-hot-day-or-beside-the-pool-in-Fiji wear.

(Yep, I'm aware of the fact that I'm modelling it with jeans and dotty socks, but I couldn't be bothered changing and it's so cold.)

I took a photo while I was spinning, and it makes me feel drugged to look at. Had to post it.

I plan on making another, but the scarf is from Malaysie, and pink, yellow and green. Same weird pictures.

Comments??

-G.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panama.JPG (25.3 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg Panama-crazy.JPG (14.3 KB, 277 views)

12-12-2005
Proponent of Plaid

New skirt, front and back views respectively. Click on thumbnail for full-size image.

This is made of two pieces of scrap fabric. The brocade is an upholstry fabric and the mustard color solid is a suit-weight boucle. I would have preferred this to be a jacket, but I didn't have enough boucle or brocade for that. It makes a perfetly acceptable skirt, however.

12-12-2005
backstage pass

Ohhh both of you, they're so cool!!

13-12-2005
backstage pass

love your post stargirl52.
what a wonderful day!

13-12-2005
windowshopping

I just got given a load of vintage fabric, tartans and men's silk suit lining and all manner of pretty prints... now just having to decide what to do with them all... the boyfriend's not too happy about teh volume of fabric i'm piling up - does anyone else get in trouble for fabric hoarding?!!

13-12-2005
front row

Here is a top I made, my "edie" top

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sewing