How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

09-12-2004
V.I.P.

that scarf!!

10-12-2004
Swim Upstream

lovely scarf -I like the tartan

10-12-2004
no photos, no photos

thanks guys!
That's THE scarf that I'm always wearing. Most of the time I actually wear it the whole day at work since it's always cold in here.

10-12-2004
fashion icon

Very nice scarf, i've said it before and i'll say it again chris you have some serious talent.

10-12-2004
no photos, no photos

thanx FTB!

10-12-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Dec 9 2004, 05:04 PM
look at the GORGEOUS new scarf that purechris made for me...i just got it...and i can't wait to wear it...!!!
thanks chris!!!!
[snapback]458620[/snapback]
Oh its lovely!!

GJ purechris!!

Beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation.

23-12-2004
stories everywhere

so... I'm not sure if this is the right thread to put this in...

I was wondering if there was any way to find patterns for past runway or couture clothes. I would love to try my hand at playing with some amazing patterns. I am so tired of the basic sillouttes that are offered in the patterns at my local clothing store. I mean come on, how many slipdresses, princess cut, empire waisted or shapless sacks made out of cotton does a girl need to make before she can start playing with something more interesting!

23-12-2004
ingenue

yep this is the right thread for questions about patterns, oceanharlot have you tried vogue patterns? some of their patterns are from the runways, though there are only a few that are terribly current...but they're still pretty good. their website is: http://www.voguepatterns.com

they have patterns by oscar de la renta, anna sui, marc jacobs, donna karan, issey miyake, among others...some of them are quite nice. makes me wish I was a more advanced seamstress.

a recent oscar de la renta pattern:

23-12-2004
ingenue

this one by issey miyake is stunning as well...

23-12-2004
no photos, no photos

utopia--that miyake pattern is actually quite easy. I helped a friend with it. It says 2 way stretch knits only, but we did it in a stretch woven on the bias. It took quite a bit of fabric, but it turned out wonderful because of the frayed edges on a woven instead of the rolled edges of a knit. Keep in mind that some of the sizing of manufactured patterns is off. I used an Anna Sui pattern that was a size 4 for a friend and it was more like an 8 when finished.
I remember a few old posts on here that you could download patterns from past season McQueen and Galliano I believe. It was only a single item though, and printing it out would be quite a hassle, so I never saved the link.
Like I said earlier, check out the thrift stores for old patterns and doctor them up. I have some really fantastic 70s Givenchy ones that I'd love to try out, but don't really have a reason to.
I took a draping class YEARS ago and it was quite interesting, but incredibly difficult. You need a model or a dress form and you just drape, cut and sew.
You could try drafting your own. It's a bit time consuming, but not that difficult once you understand garment construction. Search Amazon.com for pattern making books. A friend of mine just bought one that is actually useed for schools from there.

23-12-2004
ingenue

I know which site you're talking about, purechris, with the galliano and mcqueen patterns. I'd forgotten all about that - it is located at http://www.showstudio.com/play.html... very very cool patterns imo.

I've been curious about that issey miyake pattern for a while now...I can definitely see how a stretch woven would turn out really nice as opposed to a knit. it sounds as though it turned out well. but I definitely agree about sizing - most patterns, designer or not, tend to run really big, so it's best to make a toile/mock-up out of muslin so that you can tweak it and fit it, before investing in really nice fabric for the final project.

23-12-2004
stories everywhere

utopia, i think i love you...

23-12-2004
I loved you

speechles... thank you Utopia...

23-12-2004
backstage pass

Evexa, the dress ( and sketch ) are wonderful! Id love to see it when its done. Please post it when completed.

23-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

i've wanted to try the issey pattern too...i bought all this snap twill tape...
but i don't even know where to begin..i guess i'm just a bit intimidated...
i made a skirt that came out so great...and looked great on the hanger...but it fit like crap!!!..

all that time spent...and then it didn't even fit...i find it very hard to pin on myself and i have no one to pin for me...boo!...

even my friends who know how to sew..fully admit that they are to lazy to actually do it...or my friends who do live far away...grrrrr...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sewing