How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

06-12-2006
trendsetter

The best way to advertise is to get young hot people to wear your clothes.

07-12-2006
scenester

The problem I have found with most young hot people is once you do that they never want to pay also they honestly do not tell otheres where to get it from because they want to keep you a secret once they find out about you ..

And no I just could not pay girls to come in and do that too chezzy. I think it would make me look bad. If they can;t recongnize then FU*&EM!!!

12-12-2006
trendsetter

haha

13-12-2006
trendsetter

Oh my god, I cannot wait until my grandma gives me her old sewing machine! I want to make clothessss!

14-12-2006
trendsetter

^ thats what I thought until I got mine. I'm quite possibly the WORST sewer. I have no patience for that old uncontrollable thing!

15-12-2006
backstage pass

I have a sweater (knit obviously) that I want to crop and I was wondering if a normal hem will work...most sweaters dont have a hem and im wondering if it will look weird. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

16-12-2006
rising star

Location: Roseville, CA (but you can't take the New Yorker out of my blood!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aime_la_mode
I have a sweater (knit obviously) that I want to crop and I was wondering if a normal hem will work...most sweaters dont have a hem and im wondering if it will look weird. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

I suggest you sew matching grosgrain 3/4 to 1" ribbon on the right side where you want the edge to be cut. Stitch it down several times by machine in a few parallel lines, using both a straight stitch and then zigzag. Cut the hem off the sweater (the machine stitching should easily hold the knit and keep it from unravelling). Next, turn your ribbon under and stitch that down by hand on the wrong side with matching thread, making every effort to avoid having the stitches show on the right side. Voila--you're top should be successfully cropped.

BTW, when you stitch and cut knits, it's officially called "Steeking."
Amy

16-12-2006
tea time

dress i made bit of a bad photo since its the one i used for styling but you get the idea.

it was for a uni project looking at youth trends so i based it on new rave hence the neon and the space invaders
Attached Images
File Type: jpg invader laura 1.jpg (43.2 KB, 15 views)

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/

18-12-2006
front row

new dress I made it's a recycled sweater and Christmas-y plaid with lace

18-12-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Louise
I suggest you sew matching grosgrain 3/4 to 1" ribbon on the right side where you want the edge to be cut. Stitch it down several times by machine in a few parallel lines, using both a straight stitch and then zigzag. Cut the hem off the sweater (the machine stitching should easily hold the knit and keep it from unravelling). Next, turn your ribbon under and stitch that down by hand on the wrong side with matching thread, making every effort to avoid having the stitches show on the right side. Voila--you're top should be successfully cropped.

BTW, when you stitch and cut knits, it's officially called "Steeking."
Amy
Thankyou so much!!

18-12-2006
trendsetter

criticsdarling- Do you use patterns for all the clothes you make or do you free hand everything? You've got talent girly!

23-12-2006
V.I.P.

Yesterday I started to make an mens jacket out from an huge black cape. Easy and fast since I don't have to sew a lot, the collars etc are already ready. The cutting was more of an problem but it worked out eventually.

23-12-2006
rising star

I thought I'd contribute to this thread. Here is a skirt I made for class (ignore the mismatched top). My first pattern made completely from scratch. It also has inseam pockets.

23-12-2006
rising star

It can be worn up...

or down to reveal the contrasting fabric

Last edited by porkchopgirl; 23-12-2006 at 03:43 PM.

23-12-2006
rising star

And a tank top, also my own pattern

PS--Does anyone else here hand sew? I have to do hand sewing on almost everything, because I think it looks nicer that way. But I noticed most RTW stuff is just machine stitched on top, obviously, because it's faster. Hand sewing is a pain, and it takes longer, but does anyone even notice/appreciate it?

Last edited by porkchopgirl; 23-12-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sewing