How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

01-01-2005
tea time

fingers crossed that this works! and if it does it jus proves it pays to read the instructions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spotty.jpg (117.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg throw.jpg (173.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg superman.jpg (113.0 KB, 9 views)

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/

01-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection

it works!!!

very fun!!

01-01-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

To take my mind off things I'm going to try and make a shirt-dress out of an XXL Polo Ralph Lauren shirt I got for free. My girlfriend 's a polka-dot and bow-a-holic so there will be much over-liberal use of said bows and polka-dots.

02-01-2005
V.I.P.

Can some one recomend a good sewing machine for under $200?

02-01-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

the original photos worked for me-just had to wait a minute. anyway, very cute cowboy boots!!! and poc, let us know how the dress goes. it sounds like it could be very viktor and rolf.

02-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemiu
Can some one recomend a good sewing machine for under $200?
I think the best ones are by Janome/New Home - I don't think Singer and Brother have made good budget machines for a while....I've used the same Janome machine for around 15 years and although it was fairly expensive for back then, it's still the best machine I've ever used. If you're ever looking for an overlocker/serger, I'd also recommend them.

Have a look on Ebay, there seems to be a ton of Janome machines under $200

02-01-2005
tea time

thanx guys ! they were things that i made for my AS textiles coursework. wish i hadnt made the quilt so big though it was really hard to sew! and dont get me started on the quilting!

03-01-2005
no photos, no photos

Space--look for a place that you can buy used. Bernina makes the best machins IMO. I've had a basic, solid metal one for over 15 years that works on the finest silks and leather. I was actually offered $200 to trade it in for a new one the last time I seriviced it! Check yard sales and thrift stores and take it to a reputable dealer/repair center to make it good as new. A basic service on a machine shouldn't cost more than $80 and you can find the machine for less than $50. Also, said shops sell refurbished machines for reasonable prices. Old Singers are great as well. I don't know about new, actually, didn't they go under? Not that that should discourage you from a used machine. My mom's is still up and running from the late 60s.

04-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection

i also have a bernina...it was recommended to me as being the high end of the affordable home machines....should last a lifetime i'm told...

i just got basic functions...no digital...electronics have a tendency to have complications and knobs usually don't...or so i'm told...

04-01-2005
crossed wires.

i've got a janome i think it was about 170, works well and isn't at all difficult to figure out

04-01-2005
backstage pass

I use a Singer from the 50s/60s and it seems to work the best for me. I am not fond of the newer machines as the computerized functions and the plastics they are made from always seem to be breaking or overheating (unless you want to pay a packet).
Can't go wrong with singers from 1960 and below IMHO.

04-01-2005
misschloe

I sew and would sew more if I had time. For now I have sewed myself pants and I'm working on a hoodie right now.

08-01-2005
front row

It's actually a "new year's resolution" of mine: to start sewing clothes for myself. Until now I have had my mom make me TONS of clothes, some of which I designed. I've always STARTED making something for myself....but never finished .

Wish me luck with it this time around!!!

09-01-2005
tea time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUGA
It's actually a "new year's resolution" of mine: to start sewing clothes for myself. Until now I have had my mom make me TONS of clothes, some of which I designed. I've always STARTED making something for myself....but never finished .

Wish me luck with it this time around!!!
hope you stick to it maybes you can post a pic when you've made something!

maybes start with small things first

09-01-2005
Proponent of Plaid

The best first-project for a new dressmaker is an A-line skirt with an back or side zip and a faced waist. That is the easiest thing you can make that still looks like a stylish garment.

Simple trousers with a back zip and a faced waist are also good for a beginner project.

Probably next you could do a top with faced armholes and a faced neckline and a simple, buttoned front to get the practice making buttonholes. Then do a top with sleeves, so you can learn how to ease in sleeves.

Once you can sew a straight seam, lay a zipper in flat, do a decent buttonhole, and ease without leaving puckers or wrinkles, you are ready to do pretty much whatever you want. Just follow the instructions, take your time, and re-do stuff that doesn't come out right.

Patience is the main ingredient for successful sewing.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sewing