How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

11-03-2005
V.I.P.

I have two very high tech sewing machines at my home (one is the usual normal one, and the other I think is called overlock or something). My mom studied to become a designer at Lasalle College back in the days. She's very good at it, I still ask her to make a few of my stuff now and then, but she's too lazy to do so. And she can't just look at a picture and re-copy the clothes exactly, she needs a sort of mannequin on which you can pin the fabric.

I want to buy one mannequin, but I heard they're incredibely expensive.

I actually do know how to sew by hand (though it's REALLY bad) and by machine (though I have LOTS of trouble). Do you think that with a lot of perseverance, I could be able to make stuff like this by myself (without courses):

I've seen a lot of designer collections in which the clothes look quite amateur-ish and the cuts look very unfinished. Maybe since I am REALLY and amateur I could make something like that? Or does it take skills to actually make piece of clothing look unfinished?

11-03-2005
front row

I have a Pfaff and I love it! They are expensive, but worth it!

Kimkhuu, i just got a dress form as a present from my parents, it was something like $200 something US dollars.

11-03-2005
V.I.P.

^ a dress form-ation or a dress pattern?!

11-03-2005
offline.

i think she means dress form.. as in a mannequin.

You can usually get them at decent prices in the city. if you know where to go.
As for sewing.... my mom used to make all of her clothes... so i guess i picked up a bit of my skills from her.... but sewing leather to make bags is so much different than sewing clothes.

A la mode, that's awesome that you have a Pfaff. I have a 31 15 Singer industrial ... love it.. since i bought my own i've gotten to be almost perfect with my stitches. Before I had my own.. i was a distaster.

Kim... I'd say go and buy one of those educational sewing machines... the ones that make it so easy to thread and everything.. that you don't have much trouble.

And those dresses appear to be sort of simple.. I'm sure with some practice you could be making your own in weeks.

Last edited by luna; 11-03-2005 at 12:49 PM.

11-03-2005
front row

Sorry, yes I ment to type dressform as in a mannequin you can pin the fabric to. I am just starting to experiment with it.
Luna, thats so awsome you sew hadbags! Do you know of any good places where you can buy leather on-line? I live in the middle of nowhere so its hard to find leather/fashion fabrics.

11-03-2005
offline.

Ehh... Leather online? I'm not sure. I'm spoiled by living in the city.. everything is everywhere... I wouldn't buy leather online... I like to be able to touch it... and check for flaws.

11-03-2005
tea time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkhuu

i think you could make these they seem simple as they have no darts or from what i can see hems. if you buy a jersy knit stretch fabric (which most plain t-shirts are made from) which these seem to be made of you can leave the edges raw and the fabric wont fray.

if you dont want to make them from scratch you could always buy an oversized t-shirt and cut it and customise it to look like the dresses above. i.e. take the side seems in, cut the sleeves off, cut and create different neck lines and adjust the length by giving it a snip. or for the one with the waist band cut it to t-shirt length then. size the waist band around your hips then pin and sew to ur t-shirt length top then add the bottom skirt bit. i think the key to these dresses are dont make it precise but fit it to yourself which is quite easy or you could get someone to help you with that bit.

hope all that babble helps

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/

Last edited by cowboyboots; 11-03-2005 at 01:24 PM.

11-03-2005
front row

Who is the designer?

12-03-2005
V.I.P.

Thanks a lot for the advice cowboyboots, I'll try that out!

Alamode, those clothes are by Patrik Rzepski.

Actually my mom, an ex-"so called"-designer, accepted to give me sewing lessons next week for a full week!

12-03-2005
V.I.P.

Also I have a question, if I buy let's say a blazer from a cheap store that is not very well fitted, is possible for me to make it fit me better?

And what about a coat?

12-03-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Also I have a question, if I buy let's say a blazer from a cheap store that is not very well fitted, is possible for me to make it fit me better?

And what about a coat?
A blazer would be easier to fit than a coat, however u ll have to undo the lining and take in from the side seams of the blazer and u can either leave the lining with the original fit or redo it as well, a lining shouldn t be too tight so it s ok if u leave it as it is.
have fun

13-03-2005
tea time

Quote:

And what about a coat?
as lolita said you would have to take away the lining if it had one. but i find if im fitting something to myself i put on inside out(if its a jacket dont forget to button it up all the way) so the seams are facing outwards and pin them to achieve the desired effect. its easier to start fitting the existing seams take it in abit all over or in certain areas such as the waist.

hope that helps

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/

17-03-2005
V.I.P.

Thanks a lot cowboyboots and lolita!

30-03-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
i also have a bernina...it was recommended to me as being the high end of the affordable home machines....should last a lifetime i'm told...

i just got basic functions...no digital...electronics have a tendency to have complications and knobs usually don't...or so i'm told...
Softie, I am currently shopping for machines and take your advice very seriously. I wanted to know why the Bernina is considered the high end of home machines? I want to make sure I get the best machine possible for my buck. Thanks.

And anyone else who wants to give input...please do....thanks so much.

P.S. If everyone could pleeeease list your sewing machine brand and model I would be forever grateful. I am seriously researching and trying to come up with the best machine to purchase and want to make a good lasting decision. Thanks soooooo much.

Last edited by *Happiness*; 30-03-2005 at 08:42 PM.

30-03-2005
V.I.P.

Okay,

I think I have made a decision on the brand...looking at Janome.

What do you all think about these models???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...177551735&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...179636159&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...181547291&rd=1

For someone who hasn't sewn with a machine before....let alone shopped for one.

Thanks for all input.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sewing