How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

01-12-2004
ingenue

Sewing
so who sews their own clothes?

inspired by evexa's lovely wedding dress posted in the customisations thread, I realised that we really needed a thread devoted just to our sewing projects that we make from scratch, more or less. what have you made? do you have any forthcoming projects? do you draw out your own patterns based on your own design, or do you alter store-bought patterns to suit your personal taste?

for the record, clothing customisation should still go in the customisations thread.

01-12-2004
tea time

i hav this thing about jeans and when all the bottoms of them are frayed coz i like my jeans long! i change them into skirts get more out of them instead of throwing them out! i hav an obsesion with changing clothes!

anyway patterns since i'm only doing my a levels at the moment i havent learned how to draft a pattern yet. although at the moment for one of my coursework projects i am creating a 1920's flapper inspired dress. i usually buy the pattern and change simple things on it like the hemline or sleeves etc. although im going to hav 2 change the waistline to create the droped waist effect!

it wud b gud 2 hear bout how ppl hav managed 2 change patterns 2 suit their needs.

also any ideas wot to put into a portfolio when applyin for university advice would be great thanx

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/

01-12-2004
offline.

Clothes? no. Bags? yaaaa!

01-12-2004
desire, undefined

i'm sewing a lot. often late in the night, when i'm really angry or when i need to get my thought away from the real world. i sew pretty much everything, skirts mostly though, but last year i sew my own prom dress, and it turned out quite beautiful. i'll get some pictures on soon.

01-12-2004
V.I.P.

hmm I don't make my own clothes yet. I design them and have my mom or mee-maw (grandma who refuses to be called so) make it!

01-12-2004
ingenue

when I go home for the holidays (and return to my beloved sewing machine), I am planning to make a 'bustled' black miniskirt, like this one from http://store.virginthreads.com/.
I love the idea of the draped front and longer back. I made a costume by hand for a friend of mine recently that was a bit like this, but the fabric I was provided with was rubbish (recycled from a cheap rayon marks & spencer skirt)...so I'm determined to make one for myself, using nice materials and good finishing details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sowear_1818_18184975.jpg (23.6 KB, 217 views)

01-12-2004
backstage pass

I don't sew my own clothes. It would turn out into a disaster

01-12-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by utopia@Dec 1 2004, 04:37 PM
when I go home for the holidays (and return to my beloved sewing machine), I am planning to make a 'bustled' black miniskirt, like this one from http://store.virginthreads.com/.
I love the idea of the draped front and longer back. I made a costume by hand for a friend of mine recently that was a bit like this, but the fabric I was provided with was rubbish (recycled from a cheap rayon marks & spencer skirt)...so I'm determined to make one for myself, using nice materials and good finishing details.
[snapback]446247[/snapback]
That is so wierd, last nioght I just created a design for a bustled long skirt.
I think they should revive the trend - it hides my *** like a dream!

I got into sewing at the beginning of the year because my mother in law was a seamstress. The first dress I made ended up looking like a circus tent but I have gotten much better since
I'll post something soon.

GJ @ starting the thread!

Beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation.

01-12-2004
ingenue

Quote:
Originally posted by evexa@Dec 1 2004, 05:06 PM
That is so wierd, last nioght I just created a design for a bustled long skirt.
I think they should revive the trend - it hides my *** like a dream!
[snapback]446309[/snapback]
so true! they're really flattering and look quite unique. but it's such an obscure style, it's hard to find a decent version of it. hence why I am making one.

01-12-2004
front row

I like making some of my clothes, now learning to be a tailor so I can be more professional in my work I haven't made a lot of clothes, I also like to make my own bags and jewelry here's a link to some of my stuff:

http://www.folk.is/bettyboop/?pb=sidur&id=898377

01-12-2004
Proponent of Plaid

I make the majority of the clothing that I wear. A lot of my daily-wear stuff is on my webpage here, here, here, and here, in the vintage-inspired/replica section.. I've made other stuff...a lot of trousers that I can't photograph on my dressmaker's dummy, and some new stuff that I haven't posted yet, and some stuff for my sister that is going to be a gift, so I am not posting those yet, as she sometimes reads tFS.

01-12-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Boop@Dec 1 2004, 07:54 PM
I like making some of my clothes, now learning to be a tailor so I can be more professional in my work I haven't made a lot of clothes, I also like to make my own bags and jewelry here's a link to some of my stuff:

http://www.folk.is/bettyboop/?pb=sidur&id=898377
[snapback]446609[/snapback]

I love the red and black pants.

Beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation.

01-12-2004
stories everywhere

I make my own clothes all the time. I can't really sew well though, so they always look funny when I make them. So my mom does all the sewing for me.

02-12-2004
front row

evexa: thank you

02-12-2004
crossed wires.

I tend to make bags and lace jewelry, I do my own patterns for bags, but take inspiration from bags already on the market...i.e so i know where to 'dart' the fabric and so on

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sewing