How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

10-05-2006
V.I.P.

This Friday

I could probably do the choosing late at night, since we didn't really begin the Silhouette project last Friday--the results rather came on the weekend, I think. Or I could do it early Saturday morning, before I leave for my ferry... I'll probably wait till there are enough submissions...

Last edited by gius; 10-05-2006 at 12:40 PM.

10-05-2006
V.I.P.

I shoulod be able to do this one, Ill try and do it on Friday Night...

11-05-2006
front row

I've finally managed to complete an entry! My design is largely based on a Chinese brush - as marked out in Fig 1.1 of my design card which I have linked to below.

What my design (which can be seen in Fig 1.2) shows is a brush drawing out a black line on paper - the handle of the brush has been shrunk into the top part of the bodice (sectioned off by the sash) while the brush tip is represented by the bottom part of the bodice (which ends in a sharp tip). The bottom section is covered by a light flowing veil which is cut to about the same shape.

The bottom part of the design consists of a front and a back flap reaching the ground. The flaps are connected at the sides by arched-structures (as depicted in Fig 1.3) with gaps in between to create a stylised sort of side slit.
More can be found of the design card - the link is below:

http://www.unmanifest.net/hosting/de...echallenge.jpg

Hope it's ok. It's rather crudely drawn.

Last edited by EdanChrysler; 11-05-2006 at 04:28 AM.

11-05-2006
scenester

My work is based upon this image of a turban shell that I found. The dress would me made out of white silk organza, because that is the only material that I know of that would hold the shape that I want. In the upper left corner of the dress would be some pleats to represent the spirals of the top of the shell. Then there would be various tucks at the bottom and around the back. The dress would be held up by nicobar spindle shells, conch shells, and two different shapes of diamonds.

11-05-2006
front row

So basicallly I've taken the inspiration from the Louis Vuitton Turquoise Theda, I wanted to try to capture the main components of the bag the hardware and trims with contrasting Gold and Turquoise colors, and try to transform the Satin that I used to also try and imitate the Lush Goat suede of the bag...

I wanted to go all out for this one, but I thought I'm more of a Functionality, and Wearablility over Aesthetics designer, I would never try compromise a person's comfortability for the "look" of what I wanted, even if it was "brilliant"....so this is what came out...

KHOI
Attached Images
File Type: gif Theda-Dress.gif (174.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Teal-Theda.jpg (17.2 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by Khoipond89; 11-05-2006 at 04:38 PM.

13-05-2006

^wow such a great idea khoi!

13-05-2006
V.I.P.

Well, this project... there were only four entries

Jun3machina I thought your description was interesting, especially that you added boning to it. The headdress makes it a little costume-like but the rest definitely fits "cocktail."

EdanChrysler I really liked your diagram. The object you chose is cute. The only thing I would say is that the black is quite harsh against the rest of the other details... just because it takes up a lot of the body. It appears heavy among the top "softer-looking" materials.

Pg_graffitti I thought you chose very interesting silhouettes! I also like how you incorporated some of the objects' details into the outfit. I was wondering if it would be comfortable to wear the shells hanging on the collarbone, but you could even border them with fabric to make it soft on the skin.

Khoipond's idea was also really cool!! Interpreting a bag into a dress. The details are very nice. I agree with you in keeping the comfort and wearability of fashion, but I do think you can have these together with "aesthetics" and not look like a mess

The winner will have to be...
Pg_graffitti
I felt you were very close to the project guidelines.
I love the objects you chose--the colours/materials are fresh and even fit with the trends of the season (shine, white, embellishment, balloon shape...).

My project might have been a little unclear to some people...
The silhouette is really just the "outline" of a shape. You could just keep this outline and decide to dismiss the object's details. (ex. an egg would be an oval, and instead of white colour for the inside, you might use pink with crocodile scales, or something like that.)
Anyway congratulations!

Last edited by gius; 13-05-2006 at 11:34 PM.

14-05-2006
V.I.P.

Congratulations Pg_graffitti
Sorry I didnt enter, but ive been very busy...
I guess Ill be missing the next few weeks too...

14-05-2006
V.I.P.

That's ok^ JR1 Take care!
Like your icon by the way. I wonder if Miuccia used to play tennis a lot when she was a kid... (ah off-topic!or is it?)

14-05-2006
V.I.P.

Not off topic, it could inspire the next theme

14-05-2006
V.I.P.

^That's what I was getting at

14-05-2006
fashion icon

Congrats pg_graffitti . Well-deserved win - your concept and design were very unique .
Can't wait to see what this week's theme is !!

14-05-2006
fashion icon

im sorry for missing out so much
my internet was down for two weeks =(
what's worse is that i lost my beloved sketchbook..sigh

congrats gius and pg_graffitti =)

14-05-2006
scenester

thanks guys and thank you very much gius...i will post the next theme in a couple of minutes

14-05-2006
scenester

And without further ado, the next theme will be based upon

les parapluies de cherbourg
(the umbrellas of Cherbourg)
is one of the greatest French movies ever, both because of the fact that everyone sings beautiful songs and that the clothing of the mother and daughter is to die for. For those of you who have not seen the film, here is a summary of it provided by www.imdb.com and a trailer for the movie:

Geneviève, 17, lives with her widow mother, who owns an umbrella shop in Cherbourg. She and Guy, an auto mechanic, are in love and want to marry.But her mother does not agree : she thinks Geneviève is too young and Guy is not wealthy enough. Guy leaves two years for the army, and Geneviève is pregnant. She still loves Guy, although she has little news from him, but because the baby needs a father she marries Roland Cassard, a rich gem dealer, who fell in love with her at first sight and promised to bring up the child as his own... A movie whose dialogue is entirely sung.

http://videodetective.com/home.asp?PublishedID=6796

However, since Miuccia is on everyone's mind, the design must be able to fit into the recent Prada Fall 2006 collection, perfectly combining French and Italian style.
http://www.style.com/fashionshows/collections/F2006RTW/complete/slideshow/PRADA

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
game, project, runway, thefashionspot