How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

08-02-2006
backstage pass

Join in this week Muxu! And two_months_off too! there's still a couple days before friday... what about Cosette and Hye Park Lover too? just a quick sketch and scan is all it takes, remember the game is based on the design/concept, not the illustration!

08-02-2006
fashion icon

^cool..sure..im kinda lost..so what's the theme for this week?

08-02-2006
V.I.P.

^ Here it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfashion
Okay, here goes:

as you all know the Oscars are coming up.

Your assignment is to choose a Best Actress Nominee and dress her for her big night. Be sure to give us a brief explanation of why you chose to design what you did!

And the nominees are...

Judi Dench
Felicity Huffman
Keira Knightley
Charlize Theron
Reese Witherspoon

More info here: http://www.oscar.com/nominees/bestactresscategory.html

The winner will be chosen on the basis of the appropriateness for the actress chosen as well as the success of the design.

09-02-2006
fashion icon

i just did mine in around 15 mins and took maybe 10 mins to color on photoshop..so it might look kidna crappy..=T oh well..i ll have a better try next week!

so i chose keria knightly..i think my picture is pretty self explanitory..so..but the pic is kinda blurred..so..the details are kinda lost..blah
enjoy!

09-02-2006
fashion elite

^ Beautiful and the same goes for everyone else's entries.
I'm going to drop out of this round, I'm so tired and I've totally got no idea what I'm going do, but I'll definitely come back for the next round.

09-02-2006
windowshopping

SO my design is for Keira Knightley.

(Please don't mind the suck factor of the coloring of the dress...Im kind of new at coloring in my designs on Paint Shop Pro.)
So basically, I feel this would fit Keira's body type perfectly. Its fitted in the bust and then just flows out. Its made of silk/silk charmeuse. The 'wrap' of the two different colors are just for some flair and gives it a some-what retroesque look. I think Keira would look absolutely stunning in this dress. I feel the deep red color would compliment her skin tone, hair color, eyes quite nicely. I would just love to see her in something this color.

(Oh by the way. I'm new here...and this is a really cool idea!)
Christie

10-02-2006
backstage pass

Muxu, could you describe the fabrics and the type of embellishment on the dress for me? I'm curious. A few sentences describing your design decisions would be really helpful.

Thanks so much for joining the game Muxu and Runway Scene I'll wait until this afternoon to write my reviews in case there's any last minute entries...

10-02-2006
backstage pass

Welcome muxu and Runway scene.

10-02-2006
Eat me, drink me

I'm gonna have to pass on this week's; but I'm looking forward to the next one. Lovely work from everyone!

10-02-2006
backstage pass

Any more entries on their way?

10-02-2006
backstage pass

ok, I'm just going to go for it...

Hana N

I love the pockets!! That way she doesn't need a purse on the red carpet! In full skirts pockets are a very good idea.

The shoes were certainly a risk, purple and red I find a difficult combination to pull off and it seems to me like Reese doesn't often mix her colours like that very often. They also could be considered "a scrolldown" by the go-fug-yourselfers ... I'm just saying... could Reese pull it off? And would they get visually lost on the red carpet?

You've really responded to Reese' taste. She often chooses square necklines and empire waists, and as she's a petite girl she looks very good in that. I've often seen Reese in shorter sleeves but now I think the elbow length would look great on her as well. Your design is feminine yet not complex, a simple design works well with such sumptuous, detailed fabrics, and the light colour scheme keeps it looking light. The ribbons are the perfect, girlish touch. Great job!

JR1

What a dramatic, gorgeous bombshell dress for Charlize! She's a pretty sexy star, so I love how the draped pleats over the bust and hips of the dress will really emphasize her feminine physique.

I'm not sure about the fullness and length of the skirt. This kind of dress is quite amazing in still photographs, but very difficult to look elegant in when being filmed, for instance if she won, as you must either pick up the dress or sort of kick it along as you walk. Charlize is an experienced actress who could no doubt handle this kind of full skirt, but in practice she seems to favour sleeker, shorter gowns.

That said, I love the gradiated colour scheme, I think that's a very striking effect and I love how the lower, fuller part of the skirt is white while the top is black, balancing the visual weights of the gown. The shoulder strap detail is very striking and I think it could really highlight an expensive choker to great effect. Well done!

Sieriyu

A sexy dress that Charlize Theron would just look fabulous in. I'm glad you say that the yellow is more ivory :p Ivory and green would really be a chic combination, I like it.

Some of the dress confuses me. It seems tight in the front but with a loose cowl in the back, and I'm not sure if the ivory ruffles are continuing from the front to the back, or whether the back is assymetrical, it looks different than the ruffles at the front? I like how you've shown design details on both the front and the back but it also seems like an awful lot of different stuff is going on here?

I often see Charlize seems to like rather simpler designs, though she could certainly pull off a flamboyant gown like this. Plus she loves to show off her body too so the decollatage front and back are definitely a plus. The matching purse is like the cherry on top! Nice work!

Runway Scene

This is an excellent dress for Keira. She's a very adventurous, young actress who is very confident and not afraid to show skin, even at the oscars. Your design is very modern and streamlined, but you're right, in the sense that we are "postmodern" now, it does seem a little retro. I like how the design details emphasize the female figure, and of course a well-toned back.

It is a very deep red colour, I think you're right that Keira can pull it off, though I can't recall ever seeing her in such a strong deep colour. I think that if Keira is a brunette at the time (as drawn in the picture), but these days I think she's a darker blonde (not sure?) and I don't know if the colour would have the same impact. In any case she's a brave girl and I doubt highly she's afraid of colour! The white detail next to the skin helps to create contrast that helps keep it from totally blending in with the red carpet.

Though it's a simple gown, it really makes a statement. I like how you included the back view and a clutch to go with the dress, and described the fabric and what you were thinking when you designed it.

muxu

I love how you've created a "total look" for Keira Knightley. The shoes are to die for! I wish I had a pair =).

I wish you had described the fabrics and the embellishment a little bit more. From the drawing I can tell that the details are well-placed, and suit the gown very well, but I can't tell if they're beading, embroidery or contrasting fabric. Don't be afraid to "sell" your design a little like I did for Dame Judi Dench in my example, though you're right the drawing certainly does a great job even on it's own.

What can I say, the pleating or tucking gives a wonderful sense of structure and texture, while the skirt seems light and flowy, contrasting in texture but not colour. The detail emphasizes Keira's tiny waist and the accessories totally cinch the look. I can definitely imagine Keira wearing this dress.

Out of all of your amazing designs I have to pick only one of you to create the next challenge! And it's very very difficult. I can imagine all of these dresses at the oscars. I think that the most successful design was muxu's. The colour, the shape and emphasis, and the accessories combined made this one a look that would definitely put Keira on my best dressed list. Congratulations!

Now you get to create the next challenge!

10-02-2006
V.I.P.

congrats muxu
and finalfashion - AMAZING reviews

10-02-2006
backstage pass

thanks JR1... it was actually quite difficult to pick only one entry... I wanted to be honest and constructive. It took me a whole hour! I just want to thank everyone for playing my challenge. I'm looking forward to the next one!

10-02-2006
fashion insider

I am somewhat confused with the game. Anyhow, here is an illustration if it qualifies for anything:

BTW: The mask was a bad attempt!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dress.jpg (175.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Tourni; 10-02-2006 at 06:19 PM.

10-02-2006
fashion icon

wow!! i won(?)...XD awsome!!
so i get to create the next challenge?..ok..let me think about it..i ll get back asap! =D

oh..and yes ma'am..i ll include other details next time!

Last edited by MUXU; 10-02-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
game, project, runway, thefashionspot