How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-10-2007
fashion insider

Upholstering furniture
Actually I have NO idea where to post this. I've been searching the web for weeks with no results, and I figured since a lot of TFSers are creative and handy with scissors and tools then somebody here might know the answer to my question.

So I'm building a studio for my business and my once beautiful 2 seater couch has been destroyed, completely. A combination of cats, cats, cats and boyfriend with dinners. So I want to re-cover it. the problem is, all the tutorials on the web, ALL of them, deal with couches that have removable cushions and well, mine doesn't.

Actually I can't figure out how they made it at all, since everything is sewn down. I got it from a cute asian couple who make couches as a hobby. I've attached a picture of me pulling apart the two seat parts as far as I can.

Then there are the second set of chairs.

Two chairs that were thrown out from the set of this TV show in NZ (shortland street), I love the shape, they're uber comfy but again, the fabric is destroyed (wtf did they do on set?). They're such an odd shape though, so any suggestions as to what I could do to cover it and how difficult it would be...

Ugh and don't even get me started on what colours and fabrics to use

Anyway, picture time!

(how sad does my poor little couch look even the feet are bent out of shape)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THECOUCH.jpg (74.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 274.jpg (64.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 278.jpg (57.2 KB, 1 views)

05-10-2007
stories everywhere

I think the legs are movable on both those pieces, after that what i've seen done is take apart the outer shell in one piece, then use it as a pattern and put it back on again and then using a combo of tack strips, spray adhesive, sewing, stapling and glue... it gets done.

the couch is that one from ikea right? I think you can buy slipcovers that fit it perfectly so maybe you could use that as a pattern if you dont like their fabric options.

fashion insider

It's not an ikea one, it's handmade. Also we don't have ikea in New Zealand

21-04-2009
Fashion Designer

i just found out the cutest furniture website ever. its a little ott, i know, i know but i think if only one piece on a neutral color space will look amazing. they are a little (actually ridiculous) overpriced (2600 bp for a couch) but im thinking take it to the upholster and giving him tons of different prints and color fabrics to mix and match. heres a sample fromt heir website...oh im in love. and the best thing is that there wont be another like mine! they have mirrors, end tables, bed frames, lamps!

squintlimited.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
furniture, upholstering