How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Vintage Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-05-2007
V.I.P.

uk cosmo scans
by me

26-05-2007
clever ain't wise

Cosmo's demise is perhaps one of the most glaring examples of the trauma of AIDS on the fashion world. So many people dying, and the tide changing - FAST - from decadence, fun and kittenish sexiness to something far more boring...first healthy, strong looking people and then those frightfully boring mid/late 90s years, although thanks to Scavullo US Cosmo had decent covers during that time for the most part. The covers from the 70s and early 80s look like the answer to the question "How can I look fun and ravishing", while the corresponding 90s question would be more like "How can I wear something that couldn't possibly offend anyone"? Lord knows what it is now...."How can I get popular in high school" maybe...

Photographically speaking, of course, Scavullo was a master. The covers from the 70s are riveting, exciting, perfect yet unique looking poses, beautiful facial expressions. It's just another game than today's covers.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 26-05-2007 at 10:54 AM.
26-05-2007
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMiss View Post
Is the model on the first cover Rene Russo?
It sure is, and that is one gorgeous cover. The pose, not to mention that the hair, glow of her body and her pose are perfect matches to the outfit.

26-05-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMiss View Post
Is the model on the first cover Rene Russo?
Yes It's Rene Russo from March 1978.

27-05-2007
V.I.P.

Thank you for Russo...

What is my opinion about covers... You may like one today but Iconic is the one you remember always without pushing your brains ...

I don't remember an US Vogue Covers (just 4 or 5) from the last 10 years period and I think this is awful...

Why don's singers sing... Actresses do some acting and models do their job...
It is same as if I would ask my lawyer college to perform plastic surgery on my body;-) At least this is how it looks like...

Jerry's cover is especially electic and I love one with water melon... very natural and sexy...

27-05-2007
V.I.P.

Cosmopolitan is a magazine for women, right? Usually straight women? Then why should there be an almost naked woman on the cover? I could understand if there was an almost naked man. Just my two cents.

clever ain't wise

Because it's beautiful and because women enjoy looking at gorgeous women with whom they identify. And then there's the purely aesthetic aspect, of course, the covers from 1995 and before were little masterpieces of hair, make-up, lighting, posing...beauty photography. And then there is that hypothesis that a lot of women are not 100% heterosexual...

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 27-05-2007 at 04:38 AM.
27-05-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.j. View Post
uk cosmo scans
by me
That's a beautiful collection of vintage covers. Wish we had HQs of each individual cover.

27-05-2007
fashion insider

Thanks m.j. for the UK cover scans

27-05-2007
tfs star

Some more sleazy, trashy, sexist COSMO covers from the old days, as scanned by me (several versions of some scans). Click on thumbnails for BIG pictures. All covers are by Scavullo, unless otherwise noted. Enjoy!
Nov 1982: Lisa Vale

Dec 1982: Terri Narr

July 1983: Nancy DeWeir (one of my favorite models from that time)

Sept 1983: Christie Brinkley (along with bio page - photo by Demarchelier)

Jan 1984: Annette Stai - along with her bio page. She was everywhere back the the early 80s, including many editorials in American VOGUE.

Feb 1984: Nicollette

27-05-2007
tfs star

LOL! Those older covers look like ads for high-price call girls.

27-05-2007
tfs star

Some more sleazy, trashy, sexist COSMO covers from the old days, as scanned by me (several versions of some scans). Click on thumbnails for BIG pictures. All covers are by Scavullo, unless otherwise noted. Enjoy!
June 1984: Françoise Moëns - along with her bio. OMG what an outfit. Where do you wear something like that - aside from maybe in a bordello? And I wonder what ever became of Françoise? As far as I could find out, this cover was the beginning and end of it!
I tried many times to get this cover just right.

March 1985: Renee Simonsen Another big model from the 80s, she was everywhere, including all the VOGUEs (US, France, Italy). I believe she still does some modeling.

May 1985: Kim Alexis - another one of the greats from the late 70s to mid 80s. It is alleged that she refused to do, and never did do lingerie! Curious idea for a model to have, no?

November 1986: Frederique van der Wal

Jan 1989: Frederique van der Wal

Last edited by capt_bob; 27-05-2007 at 04:02 PM.
27-05-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhuri View Post
LOL! Those older covers look like ads for high-price call girls.
Che vorrebbe? Scavullo was Italian!

29-05-2007
scenester

I miss the classic Cosmo covergirl style so much! The backgrounds and the way the women were styled, Scavullo was a master of colors and textures.

29-05-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
the exuberence and decadence of the 70s,80s&90s when models and therefore all women were expected to look like that;in one word:F***able are gone(such blatant sexit,covers ) !And as a woman i thank god for that.

And its very interesting that "homme" created this thread,(no offense to the person in question;i am just saying).

the genre has nothing to do, even generic women prefer to look healthy, that's why Jennifer Lopez and Salma Hayek are goddesses, hardly a normal woman wants to look like an alien, sorry Gemma/Sasha.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cosmo, cover