How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Vintage Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-05-2007
don't look down

I also think there's been a shift in the way the magazine addresses the idea of sexuality - instead of articles suggesting how to please yourself, these days it appears to be all about how you can please others.

The cover stars these days might be showing less flesh, but in a way, in terms of the advice offered, the whole Cosmo package now is more of a step backwards for women's sexual expression.

So when I look at those old covers, I see a magazine that doesn't insist women accept being constrained by having to be some 'perfect machine' that scores A grades while giving the best oral sex while having immaculate blonde highlights while planning the perfect dinner party. Such is the Cosmo timetable in 2007.

Those covers belong to a time when you had to fight more for your rights. So I see a certain pride in those covers, an encouragement to women at the time that they could take on the world and still be deeply female, and unashamed of their own sex appeal. Not the case in this more neurotic day and age, where the worries are trivial in comparison (and so are the covers).

Last edited by tigerrouge; 30-05-2007 at 08:13 AM.

30-05-2007
V.I.P.

I love these covers with Helena but they are so far from any Comso concept... maybe except black and white...
I find them sexy but sexy in a healthy way;-)

ebay.com

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 03-06-2007 at 05:38 PM.
30-05-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
I also think there's been a shift in the way the magazine addresses the idea of sexuality - instead of articles suggesting how to please yourself, these days it appears to be all about how you can please others.

The cover stars these days might be showing less flesh, but in a way, in terms of the advice offered, the whole Cosmo package now is more of a step backwards for women's sexual expression.

So when I look at those old covers, I see a magazine that doesn't insist women accept being constrained by having to be some 'perfect machine' that scores A grades while giving the best oral sex while having immaculate blonde highlights while planning the perfect dinner party. Such is the Cosmo timetable in 2007.

Those covers belong to a time when you had to fight more for your rights. So I see a certain pride in those covers, an encouragement to women at the time that they could take on the world and still be deeply female, and unashamed of their own sex appeal. Not the case in this more neurotic day and age, where the worries are trivial in comparison (and so are the covers).
Interesting idea, Tigerrouge. You might be right. But I think here in the USA we've become a whole lot more up-tight about sex than we were back then. For sure AIDS had a lot to do with that. But there certainly are a lot of self-appointed guardians of the public morals out there who are going to do all they can to make sure people aren't having too much fun. I've heard that there are groups, especially in the "red" states, that regularly monitor all the major fashion magazines to make sure they are showing anything "inappropriate" or too "hot".
Herewith a few more COSMO covers - my own scans (several versions of each). Click on thumbnails for BIG pix.
April 1974: Kathy Speirs

October 1977: Clothilde, a model with class to spare, she was a favorite of Ralph Lauren, and was featured in the RL ad campaigns for a number of years running, from the late 70s into the early 80s.

Both of the above by Scavullo
COSMO (the Spanish edition for the USA, Mexico & South America) kept up the heat longer.
December 2001: Yamila Diaz-Rahi (photog Richard McLaren)

May 2002: Molly Sims (photog Patrick Demarchelier)

30-05-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bob View Post
I've heard that there are groups, especially in the "red" states, that regularly monitor all the major fashion magazines to make sure they are showing anything "inappropriate" or too "hot".
I can vouch for this: I'm on a state that is red (barely! we're slowly turning blue) and I've noticed magazines like Cosmo and Glamour put behind a placard when there's a sex-oriented blurb on the cover. All you can see is the magazine's title, the rest of it gets blocked.

03-06-2007
backstage pass

Another thing to keep in mind when viewing the classic Cosmo cover is the time period. On the back end of the Sixties and completely entrenched in the Seventies, many people only remember the decadence of that time. But it was also a revolutionary time period. This is the era that debunked the entire myth that woman had to be either a buttoned-up June Clever virginal housewife or a harlot.
Cosmo reflected the Womens Movement of that time, being the idea that woman can be confident, well educated professionals and have a healthy outlook about their bodies and sexuality.
And not all those cover were "trashy". Two of my favorites from that time is the December 1977 issue with Rene' Russo looking like a fairytale princess; and the September 1979 issue with Janice Dickinson looking positively demure (can you believe it?!).
[Scans done by me, from my personal collection]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cosmo-1977-12.jpg (497.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg cosmo-1979-09.jpg (475.8 KB, 25 views)

03-06-2007
backstage pass

what they should do is get a new editor-and-chief or creative director, and give the magazine a complete overhaul. they should bring it back to it's glory days: sexy, iconic glamourous photos, supermodel bombshells, and beautifully art-directed styling and backdrops. they should get someone like Mario Testino to do the covers and so something sexy and glamourous. Who would be great cosmo covergirls today?

Gisele Bundchen (like a modern day Cindy)
Doutzen Kroes (modern day Claudia)
Angela Lindvall (modern day Patti Hansen)
Raquel Zimmermann (modern day Jerry Hall)
Daria Werbowy (moden day Linda)
Hillary Rhoda (modern day Brooke)
Diana Dondoe
Lara Stone
Anja Rubik

all these girls could bring back the cosmo covergirl!

03-06-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfl-001 View Post
Another thing to keep in mind when viewing the classic Cosmo cover is the time period. On the back end of the Sixties and completely entrenched in the Seventies, many people only remember the decadence of that time. But it was also a revolutionary time period. This is the era that debunked the entire myth that woman had to be either a buttoned-up June Clever virginal housewife or a harlot.
Cosmo reflected the Womens Movement of that time, being the idea that woman can be confident, well educated professionals and have a healthy outlook about their bodies and sexuality.
And not all those cover were "trashy". Two of my favorites from that time is the December 1977 issue with Rene' Russo looking like a fairytale princess; and the September 1979 issue with Janice Dickinson looking positively demure (can you believe it?!).
[Scans done by me, from my personal collection]

Truer words were never spoken. And thanks for the fabulous HQ scans. Renee & Janice (who now looks like an Egyptian mummy) look gorgeous! Wow, I'm glad I started this thread. It's finally come alive!

03-06-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nueva View Post
what they should do is get a new editor-and-chief or creative director, and give the magazine a complete overhaul. they should bring it back to it's glory days: sexy, iconic glamourous photos, supermodel bombshells, and beautifully art-directed styling and backdrops. they should get someone like Mario Testino to do the covers and so something sexy and glamourous. Who would be great cosmo covergirls today?

Diana Dondoe
Lara Stone
Anja Rubik

I couldn't agree with you more. It's hard to believe, but US COSMO never had Gisele or Adriana on the cover. Or Eva Herzigova! And all of them would have been perfect. Scavullo would have loved them all. In any case, loose the second and third rate actresses & singers and bring back the models.
And speaking of photogs, how about Sante D'Orazio!?!?

04-06-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:

Diana Dondoe
Lara Stone
Anja Rubik

i can't see what current daria has to do with all this...
and she's stopped being the new linda since at least two years and half...

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eword View Post
i can't see what current daria has to do with all this...
and she's stopped being the new linda since at least two years and half...
What do you mean you "can't see what current Daria has to do with all this?"... She's not the only name I mentioned you know. I think Daria could be a great cosmo covergirl if done right. She can do sexy and glamourous real well. Think of her W cover... that was very cosmo like.

and as far as you claiming that she's "stopped being the new Linda" ... well I guess that's just a matter of opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dariawcover.jpg (395.8 KB, 4 views)

04-06-2007
don't look down

Never mind nostalgia for Cosmo - I wish W covers were still like that.

V.I.P.

Quote:
What do you mean you "can't see what current Daria has to do with all this?"... She's not the only name I mentioned you know. I think Daria could be a great cosmo covergirl if done right. She can do sexy and glamourous real well. Think of her W cover... that was very cosmo like.

and as far as you claiming that she's "stopped being the new Linda" ... well I guess that's just a matter of opinion.
i meant what you meant posting that pic. that cover dates back to 2004. daria is a very different model now. of course you never know what the next editorial or advertisment will look like, but have you seen her string of latest editorials? just an example below. very little to share with a cosmo cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg androdaria 1.JPG (24.6 KB, 1 views)

clever ain't wise

Claearly, Daria would pull off a vintage Cosmo cover if she wanted to (she was doing the exact same thing in the very Chris von Wangenheim F/W Cavalli campaign of 2006), even if her current calling is a grungier look. But don't worry, she most likely never will, so...

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 04-06-2007 at 11:20 AM.
04-06-2007
fashion insider

Daria has no boobs as to appear on a Cosmo Cover

Besides the fantastic of the 80's and early 90's covers is that the models of their covers were also spectacular in real life, it was pretty much what you see is what you get.

today is the opposite way around, you see a decent model on a cover cover but you know that it's pure photoshop, in real life the girl is fugly. so I 100% prefer to see a gorgeous J.Lo on the cover than any other boring model.

04-06-2007
V.I.P.

^ in my opinion that's one of her worst covers ever. most of her american 2004 things are very bad. yet, ppl continue to see her in that way even if she's almost another person from then...

anyway, i don't want to take more space in this thread about cosmopolitan, but joseph, she has a nice breast actually, a natural breast that follows gravity laws... maybe it's her most feminine feature.
(anyway, i have a question for you, one of these days i'll pm you)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cosmo, cover