How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Vintage Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-06-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eword View Post
she has a nice breast actually
that's really strange, before she had nothing and now a little more, there are two options, a very good wonderbra or simply got implants

Quote:
(anyway, i have a question for you, one of these days i'll pm you)

04-06-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
^ in my opinion that's one of her worst covers ever. most of her american 2004 things are very bad. yet, ppl continue to see her in that way even if she's almost another person from then...

anyway, i don't want to take more space in this thread about cosmopolitan,
I'm sorry -- you're logic isn't very clear. Do you know Daria personally? How do you know the person she is now vs. the person she was "then"? You're evaluating the real Daria based on the type of editorial you see her in?!? Give me a break. It's all fantasy... none of it is real. She's a freakin' modell!!! Whether it's a glamorous Michael Thompson W Cover or a grungy David Sims editorial, the fact is they're all fabricated stories... and she's playing a role... fantasy... not real. None of it is necessarily indicative of who she is as a person in real life. Daria is an amazing model... that's why she is as successful as she is. I know... I've worked with her. She can do all sorts of work... from intellectual Prada to glamourous beauty campaigns like Lancome to sexy Cavalli. And I'm not saying that she would be right for cosmo in it's current state. I know she wouldn't do it in it's current state obviously! But if they did a complete overhaul and used important fashion players, like Mario Testino, to give Cosmo a new look --- then yes, I think Daria would make an awesome Cosmo covergirl. I'm not saying that she would be the best option, but she certainly has the type of "model power" they would need to take them back to where they once were... to reestablish the iconic stance it once had.

And by the way if you don't want to "take more space in this thread about cosmopolitan", then maybe you shouldn't post in a thread entitled "The COSMO Cover"

04-06-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nueva View Post
I've worked with her.
may we know what is your job? sounds interesting

Quote:
And by the way if you don't want to "take more space in this thread about cosmopolitan", then maybe you shouldn't post in a thread entitled "The COSMO Cover"

05-06-2007
V.I.P.

^ did anyone got a bit nervous? calm down, nueva! hahaha! :p ciao!

backstage pass

Quote:
^ did anyone got a bit nervous? calm down, nueva! hahaha! :p ciao!
no rebuttal? yeah, that's what i thought.

05-06-2007
V.I.P.

^^ Oooh, Nueva! You've worked with Daria? Lucky!

V.I.P.

Quote:
no rebuttal? yeah, that's what i thought.
maybe i wasn't clear enough, so i'm compelled to say that again and i apologise with all the ones who come here to read about cosmopolitan and find a debate about daria.

a) mine was a remark about your idea of a cosmopolitan cover by someone like testino with daria styled like a new linda. i find this idea still depending on the way daria was promoted 3-4 years ago, but rather at odds with her most recent editorials.
b) of course i don't know her personally. when i'm talking about her being almost another person, i'm just making a reflection that comes from the evidence.
c) i'm not particularly impressed by you working with her. i have collected other direct experiences, so i just take yours like one of those.
d) i think a better place for having a long and articulated debate about daria and her versatily/kind of beauty is her own thread, that's why i didn't want to continue to talk here about that after 2-3 replies.
e) if you want to know details about my method and logics (that's just a bit different from making assumptions on her real life from editorials), have a look at my blog.

i hope that can help to understand each other.

backstage pass

Quote:
maybe i wasn't clear enough, so i'm compelled to say that again and i apologise with all the ones who come here to read about cosmopolitan and find a debate about daria.

a) mine was a remark about your idea of a cosmopolitan cover by someone like testino with daria styled like a new linda. i find this idea still depending on the way daria was promoted 3-4 years ago, but rather at odds with her most recent editorials.
b) of course i don't know her personally. when i'm talking about her being almost another person, i'm just making a reflection that comes from the evidence.
c) i'm not particularly impressed by you working with her. i have collected other direct experiences, so i just take yours like one of those.
d) i think a better place for having a long and articulated debate about daria and her versatily/kind of beauty is her own thread, that's why i didn't want to continue to talk here about that after 2-3 replies.
e) if you want to know details about my method and logics (that's just a bit different from making assumptions on her real life from editorials), have a look at my blog.

i hope that can help to understand each other.
a) Well get over the 3-4 year thing. And don't get caught up in her "recent" editorial... it's not real. She can be styled in whatever way a fashion editor dictates.
b) "Evidence"? Evidence of what? If you're referring to her current editorial as "evidence", let me remind you... it's not real.
c) My intent was not to impress you, nor do I care to impress you. Just trying to substantiate my point of view with my first-hand knowledge of who she is and what type of model she is through my working experiences with her. (Rather than blurting out non-sensical opinions with a "voice of authority", yet nothing really valid to back it up.)
d) This is a cosmo thread and my viewpoint was in regard to Daria as a cosmo covergirl. You called out your Daria opinions in this thread... expect to defend them in this thread.
e) uh, no thanks.

05-06-2007
V.I.P.

^ i think there's no definitely way to understand each other.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 05-06-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Please refrain from personal criticism.
05-06-2007
clever ain't wise

Please stay on topic.

I don't think that W cover has anything to do with Linda Evangelista, and everything to do with Patti Hansen and the glorious 70s Cosmo covers.

05-06-2007
front row

I remember those covers from the 1970s--not knowing anything about anything at the time (which hasn't changed that much) I thought they looked like the same cover over and over again.

Now seeing them again--a zillion thanks to Capt. Bob--I realize that they defined that decade, especially for young women, as much as anything.

05-06-2007
backstage pass

those cosmo covers rocked... and scavullo rocked!

06-06-2007
V.I.P.

Peace Peace Peace

I love Darya but she is definitely not a best option for Cosmo...but she can be very sexy too... Sexiness is not really a certain thing... as time goes by we all consider it differently... especially in the era of huge technical development and global warming ;-)

but I could never imagine models like Maria Carla (who I really really love) on Cosmo...

Honestly really bored with HollyF..k celebs... feels like no difference from one year to another...

I think from new models... Doutzen could work as a Cosmo girl... but Actually I am quite bored with New Comsopolitan, even poses are similar and these pink and red colors make it look so cheap...

Not sure about 90 supermodels... probably they are too good for current Cosmo.... but I think Cindy could make out some gr8 and hopefully change this one-way world of Cosmo... But can not imagine Naomi or Helena on the cover of Cosmo again...

Actually all said is a shame for a lawyer whose speech should be well constructed and reasoned ;-) but this is how modern fashion world looks like ;-)

Last edited by KissMiss; 06-06-2007 at 03:47 AM.
06-06-2007
V.I.P.

[quote=Joseph26;3197342]

today is the opposite way around, you see a decent model on a cover cover but you know that it's pure photoshop,

I think Photoshop becomes disgusting... u may hide some wrinkles but not make person looking 100% different... even hardly identifiable...That is very very fake...

so I 100% prefer to see a gorgeous J.Lo on the cover than any other boring model.

Actually really bored with J.Lo's, J. Simpson's, etc. They look fake too…

06-06-2007
front row

One of the great things about those Cosmo covers from 30 years ago was that the look depended much more on what the model and the photographer were able to create at the moment the photograph was shot. Today every --every-- cover on every fashion magazine is photoshopped, sometimes into unrecognizable genericness (genericity perhaps?). Why bother hiring a model or jumping through the hoops necessary to book a celeb if that is the final result?

I don't want to sound like a curmudgeon who thinks that everying in the past is better than everything now because it certainly isn't. But I think that one of the reasons the Cosmopolitan covers from the 1970s are so appealing is that, in a very odd way, they were closer to the reality of what someone looked like.

Covers were retouched, of course, but the tools that exist now simply weren't available then.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cosmo, cover