L'UOMO Vogue July/August 1998: 30th Anniversary by Steven Meisel - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Vintage Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-07-2017
tfs star

L'UOMO Vogue July/August 1998: 30th Anniversary by Steven Meisel

Ebay Italy

Special issue with 1000 pages! The cover was styled by Karl Templer. I think it's a fold-out.

Last edited by ivano; 04-07-2017 at 04:39 PM.
09-08-2017
tfs star

full cover

Ebay it

09-08-2017
tfs star

one pic of the main ed:

Ebay it

08-09-2017
tfs star

CONTENTS

COVER + THE MEN - 14 pages edit with fullpage photos by STEVEN MEISEL

2 WEEKS IN ANOTHER TOWN - 26 pages edit with fullpage photos by BRUCE WEBER
JUST ME - 12 pages edit with fullpage photos by ELLEN VON UNWERTH
ATELIER PORTRAITS - 20 pages edit with fullpage photos by PAOLO ROVERSI
PICTURE YOURSELF - 10 pages edit with fullpage photos by CRAIG MCDEAN
LOOSE-END MOOD - 8 pages edit with fullpage photos by COMETTI
UNUSUAL ART TYPES - 12 pages edit with fullpage photos by MILES ALDRIDGE
PRECIOUS - 8 pages edit with fullpage photos by MILES ALDRIDGE
ODD RUDD - 8 pages edit with fullpage photos by MAX VADUKUL
NYC-MAY 19TH 1998 - 24 pages edit with fullpage photos by PETER LINDBERGH
STYLISH - 6 pages edit with fullpage photos by PETER LINDBERGH
ATTITUDES - 8 pages edit with fullpage photos by DAVID SIMS
MEMORIES - 14 pages edit with fullpage photos by DAVID BAILEY
WARM COOL - 8 pages edit with fullpage photos by NATHANIEL GOLDBERG
TIMELESS - 18 pages edit with fullpage photos by ARTHUR ELGORT
LEFT BANK - 8 pages edit with fullpage photos by DEBORAH TURBEVILLE
JASON FEDELE - CONFIDENCE - 6 pages edit with fullpage photos by MICHEL COMTE
PAUL JASMIN - 8 pages edit with fullpage photos by BOB RICHARDSON
STICKING OUTLINES - 10 pages edit with fullpage photos by STEVEN KLEIN

1095 pages

SOURCE: Ebay Italy

09-09-2017
fashion insider

I remember this issue.

I didnít buy it because I didnít want to carry it around all day in school. Iím reminded just how regretful I feel for not picking it up back then. So tempted nowó especially with LíUOMO folding by the end of the year. Itís a piece of high fashion history.

Itís such a strong presentation of male beauty and high fashion dreambuilding. So inspiration, and motivating to work harder on your body LOL

Nowadays, the standards of male beauty has plunged to an all-time low. Of course it's great to see more diversity, both racially and in body types. But the standard of beauty, has clearly been lowered than ever before to appeal to as many kidz as possible, it seems. And for that, no wonder these kidz arenít motivated or inspired to be better than what they are... sigh...

10-09-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
I remember this issue.

I didnít buy it because I didnít want to carry it around all day in school. Iím reminded just how regretful I feel for not picking it up back then. So tempted nowó especially with LíUOMO folding by the end of the year. Itís a piece of high fashion history.

Itís such a strong presentation of male beauty and high fashion dreambuilding. So inspiration, and motivating to work harder on your body LOL

Nowadays, the standards of male beauty has plunged to an all-time low. Of course it's great to see more diversity, both racially and in body types. But the standard of beauty, has clearly been lowered than ever before to appeal to as many kidz as possible, it seems. And for that, no wonder these kidz arenít motivated or inspired to be better than what they are... sigh...
So true, thatīs why it saddens me to only see Instagramers and this new gen of kids in magazines/runways/ad campaigns instead of REAL strong, tall, muscular, skillful fashion male models.

fashion insider

^^^ A hard worked masculine body will always be appreciated LOL

Personal preference aside, I don't think classically handsome men is the only option of course. Look at the popular male aesthetic of the late-60s and late-70s for example: There was a preference for a younger, even androgynous male presence, with a leaner body and longer hair. But they still had a strong sexual magnetism to them in the way they were shot. These days, all the bland-looking pubescent boys are shot with flat-lighting and their blank stares looking so neutered. Creativelyó or lack there of, the high fashion aesthetic of this decade in general is the weakest when we look back on it.

The mid-90s to the late-2000s were the most creative, daring, unapologetically sexual presentation of high fashion to date; referencing the best of the looks of 1950s, 1960s and 1970s in the most modern manner without ever coming across retro. It really was a time when that magical mixture of premium beauty, unleashed creativity in design and presentation all came together so gloriously with strong photographers. This generation of photographers are simply weak in creativity.

Oddly enough, Iím really appreciating how Giampaolo is capturing men on film. Thereís this timeless smoulder, and always strong masculinity to the way he shoots men. I take back what Iíve posted about him in terms him lacking any skills and talent. I donít think heís up there with the greatest nor do I like him, and heís still awful when he shoots women, since thereís such a disconnect, even disdain, with absolutely no passion, just all cold mechanics in his images of women. But his shots of men areÖ classically gorgeous.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1998, 30th, anniversary, july or august, luomo, meisel, steven, vogue