How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Vintage Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-09-2008
there is no fear

wow,thanks and i agree "The Style Council" should've included Anna,but it's great anyway

23-09-2008
V.I.P.

i have a question:does the new yorker have the fashion issue every year?

btw..i want to steal this issue from my school library....

V.I.P.

This is sooo fantastic, love every bit of it, thanks a million for posting all of it rh85.

23-09-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper! View Post
i have a question:does the new yorker have the fashion issue every year?

In the 90's when Michael Roberts arrived to the magazine as fashion director it had a fashion approach but right now I think there's an official style issue.

Quote:
(NEW YORK) The anticipated style issue of the New Yorker hits newsstands today. This season's cover features a cat gazing at a feathered shoe--but more importantly, it contains a profile of the relentlessly fascinating Marc Jacobs entitled "Enchanted: The Transformation of Marc Jacobs" by Ariel Levy. The issue also includes a piece by Patricia Marx entitled "Sole Sisters: For Women Who Can Never Have Enough Shoes." A bit of takeaway: Jacobs left the CFDA Awards early to have dinner with Victoria and David Beckham at Nobu; he also identifies with frogs. (No wonder he fashioned them into handbag clasps this season.) The Daily caught up with editorSusan Morrison to discuss!

What role does the style issue serve?
We do a handful of special issues throughout the year--one in the spring and another in the fall as a new season is getting underway. It's a way of pulling things together thematically. To me, the fact that we have this juicy intelligent piece about Marc Jacobs--and then John Updike on makeup--really represents its breadth.

What do your readers care more about--the designers or the personalities?
The people who have the most interesting stories to tell. Our coverage is so much deeper. These pieces are thousands of words and they aren't photo-driven. There has to be something there you can sink your teeth into.

Is there a designer you have been trying to secure that remains elusive?
No. People like to be in the New Yorker. They know people read it really carefully. Chances are, these are the stories that will represent them for generations to come. What is new is the time commitment of being profiled in the New Yorker. It's not going and having a plate of pasta and one conversation and going home. You are allowing someone to be a fly on the wall. That's why these stories have texture.

24-09-2008
there is no fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper! View Post
Do it

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1994, fashion, issue, november, yorker