How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Vintage Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-03-2005
JHB
rising star

question about the 1992 april Vogue US Cover
Does anybody know why Stephanie Seymour and Helena Christensen didn't appear on this cover?, I have always thought the cover is not complete without them.

At that time Stephanie and Helena were more super than Niki Taylor

any opinion?, maybe Anna Wintour hates Helena C, she never appeared on the cover of US Vogue.

Last edited by JHB; 16-03-2005 at 02:40 PM.

16-03-2005
backstage pass

Helena actually did appear on the cover of US vogue....
it was another multiple girl cover (like 6 girls in a huddle) shot by Herb Ritts... they were all wearing red tops...

and i'd have to argue about the Niki Taylor comment. She's had more US vogue covers than both Stephanie and Helena... she was the youngest model ever to appear on a vogue cover... and the youngest model to land a cosmetics contract... with covergirl...

but I would say that Helena and Stephanie were both bigger models than Yasmeen Ghauri or Elaine Irwin, who were both on the cover...

16-03-2005
front row

I believe in the editor's letter of that issue Ms. Wintour discussed how difficult it was to get all of the girls together for the cover due to their hectic schedules...it is possible that they were considered for it but not able to appear due to the timing, etc.

16-03-2005
JHB
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nueva
Helena actually did appear on the cover of US vogue....
it was another multiple girl cover (like 6 girls in a huddle) shot by Herb Ritts... they were all wearing red tops...

and i'd have to argue about the Niki Taylor comment. She's had more US vogue covers than both Stephanie and Helena... she was the youngest model ever to appear on a vogue cover... and the youngest model to land a cosmetics contract... with covergirl...

but I would say that Helena and Stephanie were both bigger models than Yasmeen Ghauri or Elaine Irwin, who were both on the cover...
Oh yea!, I had forgot it, Stephanie and Helena were on that cover along with Claudia, Naomi and Christy.

I wonder when we will see again gorgeous girls like that famous generation in Vogue Magazine.

16-03-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet100
I believe in the editor's letter of that issue Ms. Wintour discussed how difficult it was to get all of the girls together for the cover due to their hectic schedules...it is possible that they were considered for it but not able to appear due to the timing, etc.

good point violet...
this is probably the true deciding factor...it's not so easy to co-ordinate everyone's schedules...these girls are all over the world shooting editorials and campaigns...and they are all super busy...so getting a day to bring them all together is actually quite a feat...!!

that is true today as well...but now we have the magic of photoshop which means you can fake certain things more easily and shoot the girls separately ..or at least in smaller groups... and then strip them all together ...i've seen that done quite a bit now ...

16-03-2005
backstage pass

oooh.. that would make sense, I'd never though of that softgrey. I always thought it would be difficult to do group shots, because one would imagine that some girls would look better in some shots that other girls wouldn't..and to get all of them together would be difficult due to hectic schedules.. but I guess with such naturally beautiful girls that there is bound to be those good few shots that they all must look great in.

those girls look like the epitome of beauty to me in that cover! and they all have aged wonderfully too. can't wait to see all of their children grow up!

16-03-2005
JHB
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
good point violet...
this is probably the true deciding factor...it's not so easy to co-ordinate everyone's schedules...these girls are all over the world shooting editorials and campaigns...and they are all super busy...so getting a day to bring them all together is actually quite a feat...!!

that is true today as well...but now we have the magic of photoshop which means you can fake certain things more easily and shoot the girls separately ..or at least in smaller groups... and then strip them all together ...i've seen that done quite a bit now ...
that doesn't make sense, the supermodel cover of the last year was AWFUL, that copy-paste work was terrible, the magic is to capture the whole bunch of mega models at the same time and at the same place.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1992, april, cover, question, vogue