How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Vintage Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-08-2003
V.I.P.

I like it. I knew it was her when I saw it. She doesn't bother me like most celebs/singers, but I still don't want to see her on covers.

19-08-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by ignitioned32@Aug 15 2003, 07:11 AM
Beyonce is overrated. Why is she becoming so popular? I even think Kelly Rowland is so much better in the way she isn't media-hungry and is simpler. Train on the track is much better than Crazy in Love.

As for the cover, FROU FROU!
[snapback]83088[/snapback]
I agree!!!!!!

19-08-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by chickonspeed@Aug 13 2003, 09:51 PM
I'm still really wowed by this cover choice. I think, if I may be so bold, that V represents everything that is right with fashion today. Putting a black celebrity on the cover of a major September issue is a huge step in the right direction. V may not be InStyle or Vogue, but I still think this is a big shocker for many in the publishing/fashion industry.

I'm still fuming over the snub that Janet Jackson got from US Bazaar in February. They put Gisele on that issue's cover, after using celebrities almost exclusively for the year preceding that, then gave Ms. Jackson a paltry, yet still stunning, spread somewhere in the middle of editorials. My point is, she could certainly have pulled off a cover of Bazaar--especially since the Van Lamzweerde/Matadin pictures of her were so perfect--but the powers that be decided that though they were desperate for the power of a celebrity, they weren't desperate enough to use a black actress/artist. Rather sad.
[snapback]82863[/snapback]
Its rude and tells me a lot about society still.

19-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by chickonspeed@Aug 13 2003, 08:51 PM
I think, if I may be so bold, that V represents everything that is right with fashion today.
[snapback]82863[/snapback]
You are quite bold . I think V started out incredibly well, yet it's turning into another mainstream publication. I'm sorry, but how long can I hear about LV and DG and Jacobs in every damn issue of it? I'm also disappointed about them not bringing outside talent and freelancers in. Tabitha, Mario, Tabitha, Mario, my head is spinning I have yet to make up my mind about Vmen, but the whole thing seems just like a high school clique.

I like Gan's book "Where will we meet next" though...

19-08-2004
Heated

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Aug 19 2004, 11:39 AM
You are quite bold . I think V started out incredibly well, yet it's turning into another mainstream publication. I'm sorry, but how long can I hear about LV and DG and Jacobs in every damn issue of it? I'm also disappointed about them not bringing outside talent and freelancers in. Tabitha, Mario, Tabitha, Mario, my head is spinning I have yet to make up my mind about Vmen, but the whole thing seems just like a high school clique.

I like Gan's book "Where will we meet next" though...
[snapback]338468[/snapback]
That post was from a year ago, dear faust. A year later, I think V is going quite downhill still. My opinion changes everyday though. The new Alicia Keys issue is such a snoozer, though it does feature some nice looks outside of the usual LV, Dolce, etc.

19-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by chickonspeed@Aug 19 2004, 10:45 AM
That post was from a year ago, dear faust. A year later, I think V is going quite downhill still. My opinion changes everyday though. The new Alicia Keys issue is such a snoozer, though it does feature some nice looks outside of the usual LV, Dolce, etc.
[snapback]338471[/snapback]
Oops, my bad So, is it worth opening? I pass right by it these days...

19-08-2004
Heated

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Aug 19 2004, 11:48 AM
Oops, my bad So, is it worth opening? I pass right by it these days...
[snapback]338473[/snapback]
Maybe. But definitely not worth buying. The David Sims ed has Chalayan, Demeulemeester, Galliano, Lanvin, Yohji, and Comme, I think. Nice ed, too. But much of the rest is bland.

19-08-2004
trendsetter

I was at some design conference about a year ago at Cooper Union and the owner/publisher of Visionaire was there.
She kept talking about being on the cutting edge, using the newest hottest talent out there, breaking boundaries....every cliche you could name....and I foolishly believed her. Went out and bought V....I think spending that money on coffee would have given me more of a rush than spending it on V...
it was boorrring...starting from the articles to the design/layout.

19-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugo@Aug 19 2004, 10:51 AM
I was at some design conference about a year ago at Cooper Union and the owner/publisher of Visionaire was there.
She kept talking about being on the cutting edge, using the newest hottest talent out there, breaking boundaries....every cliche you could name....and I foolishly believed her. Went out and bought V....I think spending that money on coffee would have given me more of a rush than spending it on V...
it was boorrring...starting from the articles to the design/layout.
[snapback]338479[/snapback]
Are you sure it was the owner? The owner is a guy. Yea, you should've bought coffee

And also, what's up with all these magazine raising newsstand prices? V is $6.95 now, and so is Surface?! I'd rather go with i-D for $10 and Wallpaper for $8.75.

19-08-2004
trendsetter

No no...it was a woman...she used to model....trust fund kid was the word in the audience
i'll get you her name...shas.

19-08-2004
Heated

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Aug 19 2004, 11:55 AM
Are you sure it was the owner? The owner is a guy. Yea, you should've bought coffee
[snapback]338484[/snapback]
Probably Cecilia. She spoke at the Tokion Creativity Now conference last year. Was that it, Sugo?

19-08-2004
trendsetter

Cecilia Dean
there we go
yep!

(and faust, I am not even going to mention what I spend on art magazines...I only buy a fashion magazine if i see it looks interesting design wise.)

23-08-2004
V.I.P.

So I checked out the last V.

Contents - garbage
Editorial photography - bland
Editorial styling - superb!

Not worth buying, you were right COS.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2003, beyonce, knowles, mario, september or otober, testino, v#25