How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Vintage Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

18-06-2010
there is no fear

1990. A super svelte Monica Bellucci shows off an early iteration of what would soon become designer Hervé L. Leroux’s easily identifiable signature: the Hervé Léger ‘bandage’ dress. Founded by Leroux in 1985, the House of Hervé Léger was ultimately sold to the BCBG Max Azria Group in 1998, where, after its relaunch by Azria in 2007 the line became a go-to choice for every young star from Rachel Bilson to Kate Bosworth. (July)

elle.com

18-06-2010
there is no fear

1991.In only her second year modeling, a then 15-year-old Niki Taylor graced more than a dozen pages in three separate fashion stories for ELLE’s first issue of 1991. While the rest of us were sitting in a classroom worrying about tomorrow’s geometry quiz, here, the sunkissed teen (who was also the issue’s cover girl—her first of two for the year) takes her gingham Gottex bikini for a wade in St. Tropez waters in the Bardot-inspired swim shoot, “Baby Doll!” (January)
Love this so much. Couldn't believe this girl was only 1 year older than me! I sure didn't look like that

scanned by me

18-06-2010
there is no fear

1991.In the 39-page fashion epic “It’s Spring Again!” ELLE staff stylist Fanny Pagniez dresses a model for a pretty portrait in head-to-toe Yohji Yamamoto, including an asymmetric, off-the-shoulder jumpsuit with rope detail ($2,310) and an “aerodynamic” white linen hat ($1,385) (February)
Kirsten

elle.com

18-06-2010
there is no fear

1991.In the days before fashion magazines were meant to, above all, sell clothes, there was the opportunity for the occasional nude cover model. Here, a radiant Fabienne Terwinghe wears nothing but her Estée Lauder moisturizer (with SPF, of course) and a smile. (May)
Beautiful

elle.com

18-06-2010
there is no fear

1991.One of the stunning works of beauty art Shiseido makeup artist Serge Lutens created especially for ELLE in the beauty story “Making Faces: The Master of Makeup.” Lutens describes the theme of this collection of original shots as “a fantastical, sophisticated jungle—like the jungle of New York, in which this woman is the ‘natural’ beauty of the imaginary jungle.” (December)

elle.com

18-06-2010
there is no fear

1995.Actress and icon Isabella Rossellini goes all faux for Fall in the 10-page Bensimon-shot spread “Animal Instincts,” which conveys an Edie-Sedgwick-on-safari feel. (September)

elle.com

18-06-2010
you soft and only

I love how quickly this thread is growing!

Everything about Elle back then seemed so fresh; I don't think I could think of a magazine today that has that level of lightness that Elle had back then.

18-06-2010
fashion icon

Great thread! These pictures (and the stories behind them) have taken me on a trip down memory lane. I can remember some of trends in fashion and makeup during late 80s.
And what a body on Niki Taylor!

24-06-2010
windowshopping

this is all really great. can't wait to see more.

05-07-2010
there is no fear

Gah, i need all their covers from 83 to 92 on my wall asap.

07-07-2010
backstage pass

I like all the covers layout. Its so modern.

09-07-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

I love the close cropped covers..they were awesome!!

16-01-2012
V.I.P.

Vintage Elle
Quote:
Elle is a worldwide magazine of French origin that focuses on women's fashion, beauty, health, and entertainment. Elle is also the world's largest fashion magazine. It was founded by Pierre Lazareff and his wife Hélène Gordon in 1945. The title, in French, means "she".
Quote:
History

Elle was founded in France in 1945. In the 1960s it was considered to "not so much reflect fashion as decree it", with 800,000 loyal readers and a then famous slogan : "Si elle lit elle lit Elle (If she reads, she reads Elle)".[1] In 1981, Daniel Filipacchi and Jean-Luc Lagardère purchased Hachette magazines, which included the then-struggling Elle. Elle was then launched in the U.S. (News Corporation owned a stake in the US edition until 1988), followed by 25 foreign editions.
It is now the world’s largest fashion magazine, with 42 international editions in over 60 countries.[2] Technologically speaking, the Elle brand is a global network encompassing over 20 websites. Subscriptions account for 73 percent of readers. With the remaining 27 percent purchasing single issues, Elle is the only fashion magazine to have increased its newsstand sales in the past five years, most notably with an 18 percent increase in the first half of 2006. There are 27 Elle websites globally, which collectively attract over 1 million visitors and 26 million page views per month[3] Elle reaches over 4.8 million readers. The vast majority (82 percent) of Elle's audience are women between the ages of 18 and 49. Elle readers have a median age of 34.7 years.[2] Forty percent of readers are single, and the median household income is $69,973.[4] "Our readers are young enough to think about life as an adventure and old enough to have the means to live it," said Robbie Myers, editor in chief.[5] Elle owes its graphic signature to Art director Peter Knapp[6][not in citation given]
Elle is owned by the Lagardère Group of France. It is published in the US by Hearst Magazines, in Canada by Transcontinental Media, in Brazil by Grupo Editora Abril, in Mexico by Grupo Editorial Expansión, in Argentina by Grupo Clarín, in Singapore by Mediacorp, in Serbia by Adria Media, in Germany by Hubert Burda Media and other countries including Portugal and Spain. The first UK edition was published in November 1985.
As an international magazine, Elle has offices in New York City, London, Paris, Toronto, Mexico City, Istanbul, Brussels, Tokyo, Warsaw, Belgrade, Oslo, Helsinki, Bucharest, Athens, Delhi, Madrid, Milan, Munich, Jakarta and other metropolises.
wikipedia

16-01-2012
V.I.P.

This is thread is of Vintage Elle (1940-2000), post here your fave eds & covers of this mag back in time of the most important issues are (US/France/UK).

Elle France May 11th, 1987: Estelle Lefebure by Marc Hispard

"Maillots 87 - La performance des matières"
Photographer: Marc Hispard
Models: Estelle Lefebure & Talisa Soto
Stylist: Brigitte Langevin
Hair: Guillaume

"Préparez-vous à bien bronzer"
Model: Estelle Lefebure
Photographer: Marc Hispard
Stylists: Michèle Pacquet-Beaurenaut & Anna-Séverine Liotard
Hair: Guillaume

automne-roi20.livejournal.com