Vintage Magazine Discussion Thread - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
07-02-2015
backstage pass

I think that account is from VFiles themselves. They sold them and other issues [Interview, XY, Per Lui etc] when they first published the scans.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsession1990 View Post
Hey guys, here an interesting site VFILES This user uploaded gorgeous vintage issues (very rare)

https://www.vfiles.com/users/90smagazines/vfiles
Thank yous o much for posting this. What a treat to leaf through some of these issues.

07-02-2015
backstage pass

Quote:
Hey guys, here an interesting site VFILES This user uploaded gorgeous vintage issues (very rare)

https://www.vfiles.com/users/90smagazines/vfiles
They also have one for 80s magazines:

https://www.vfiles.com/users/80smagazines/vfiles

Plus, if you click on the tags (say, for the year), it allows you to browse for other users who have the same tag (and thus to browse their files). There are a couple good ones, that I've found.

backstage pass

I found amazing lookbooks (Chanel, Armani, Versace and others)
Surfing through the tags is a good tip, thanks!

08-02-2015
backstage pass

Spent the last twenty minutes watching all those Escada catalogs going for insane money on eBay. I put in some realistic money but I was outbid on all of them.

08-02-2015
backstage pass

I'm very close to having a hairdryer session with the last LV and all my Face issues after I clean my dump of a room. The LV will be put up on here, the Faces are to be adorning my walls.
Then I'll probably take a break from scanning with the exception of a British Vogue issue and probably my tabloids until I have another eBay haul. My last haul was spent on more books than magazines, and the only magazines I bought were newspaper supplements from 1993-4.

fashion icon

Ditto on that amazing vfiles link. that '98 copy of Cheap Date looks amazeballs, along with that Bob Richardson lensed issue of BIG. the covers alone are uber rare, let alone the content!

As far as 'scanning tips' i like usin fingernails and bare feet. Let me explain

PREP the page you want to remove with something to score along each side of said page to help pry apart the glue on the binding.

I normally just use my fingernail. but any precise yet not overly sharp or wide tool should work, as long as you're not roughing up or creating little tears on the opposite page as you score the binding.

This step is important, so I usually make several passes on each side to ensure a clean tear. Ideally you should see partial circular holes like a perforated edge along the page where the thread in the binding was holding the page in.

Another tip is to flex open the entire magazine away from the page you wanna remove. thicker issues are more challenging. (When i'm done I take the entire mag and roll the binding into one direction so it lays more evenly).

REMOVE your socks, straddle the magazine with both feet holding down both sides with the page to be removed in the middle. Apply gentle yet firm pressure with your feet and carefully tear out the page. The page should give way without much effort. Sounds lewd and crude but logistically speaking and pressure-wise this makes perfect sense when you do it. Clean feet are preferred!

As far as the actual scanning, I also like using a piece of Black construction paper on top to prevent bleed through of the image on the other side of the page. Fiddle with the settings, sometimes the photo or document settings yield better results.

V.I.P.

I guess I've been prepping magazines for scanning wrong all this time!

backstage pass

LylaScans If you like Fashion Columns from Newspapers check Mario'ns site. It's amazing!

http://www.marionhume.com/category/columns/page/6/

09-02-2015
fashion icon

The Price of Periodical Preservation and Beauty

Seriously it works. Someone give it a go!

My hair has been in various states of bedhead since I was a child. The thought of a blow dryer anywhere in the vicinity frightens my low maintenance hair ethos

Plus I don't like the wa wa effect of simply folding and flattening open the entire magazine and scanning. I just can't...unless anyone has tips on how to get the cleanest scans without tearin up the mag, which admittedly does make me sad, hence my selective scanning history.

fashion icon

Oh yes Marion's site is bloody fantastic!
I stumbled on it a few years ago when I was searching for some 90s Oz Vogue issues. As the former EIC of V Oz there's tons of super rare issues, which should't be missed. The only extensive site from a former fashion EIC i've com across.

V.I.P.

^ people would have a kinipshin if they knew my how / what / why of scanning techniques! LOL....

10-02-2015
backstage pass

Quote:
LylaScans If you like Fashion Columns from Newspapers check Mario'ns site. It's amazing!

http://www.marionhume.com/category/columns/page/6/
Have to admit I bought the supplements for celebrities instead of fashion, but that site is actually quite cool.

ell, the construction paper technique also sounds nice. I'll use some black card of mine.

backstage pass

Yes, the black construction paper or similar really makes the difference.

01-03-2015
V.I.P.

Hi everyone.
Are the vintage threads going to become a ghost town because of the copyright infringement issues? Thoughts?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
discussion, magazine, thread, vintage