Vogue Paris October 2005 : Gemma Ward and Du Juan by Patrick Demarchelier - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Vintage Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-09-2005
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau
or they're just reading too much into it...right?...like i did with that chinese vogue september cover where gemma's star power overpowers the other 5 chinese models because they are, in a way less important...

if thats the case then i'm suprised to see the likes of sneja or sasha in any clothes at all...i mean why is sasha even wearing any clothes in the prada campaign?...approprite to her status at the time she should have been allocated a nylon bag to cover her bits at most.

it is gorgeous, at least the white supremist thing isn't as overt as it was here

Because it's traditional for new models to be in Prada/Jil Sander campaigns but they rarely appear on the cover French Vogue first thing. But don't let that stop you - little conspiracy enthusiast you.

Anyway, I think Du Juan is presented as every bit as beautiful as Gemma on that cover.

28-09-2005
V.I.P.

If Gemma had brown eyes and black hair, I would have mistaken her for being Asian first glance......

29-09-2005
frozen

a bigger pic of the cover, from models. com

Muse

^ Gemma has such a resemblance to Kate in that cover. scary.

princely

I see it too..

kaschemme , great review! anyone have scans of morgane and du juans editorials? i especially want to see the biography on Du Juan.

04-10-2005
don't look down

Styling of no substance
Now, I don't know if it's because I've been listening to the French Vogue negativity at fashist, or if it's because someone's standing over my shoulder munching food while I look at it, but I have the magazine in my hands - and it's the worst issue I've seen for some time. A lovely cover, and some of the shots from the leading edit are nice, but I get the sensation that this magazine is having a laugh at my expense (or at least at the cover price I paid for it).

For example, the editorial with Natasha Poly has her wearing jackets on the top of her head, draped in suggestion of a nun's wimple - and while it's amusing in concept, it looks stupid in practice, like an artist that tries to pass off something slapdash as a work of genius. I think that's the whole feel of this issue - styling and concepts of no substance, dressed up as a package we're supposed to take seriously. I don't usually have this feeling about French Vogue, but Carine's gone too far in presentation with too little in content this issue, I think.

However, there are a lot of superb ads, so I'll be ditching the edits to enjoy the rest of the issue as it should be savoured.

04-10-2005
boop

Quote:
i hate how gemma's hair is covering the asian models face, its kinda like its saying that shes less important.
Exactly. I don't like the vibe on this cover or on the Chinese Vogue cover, it reminds me too much of Gwen Stefani and the Harajuku girls. Both girls look beautiful but there's something unsavory about the image.

04-10-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ I was going to mention the same thing about the hair. I'm surprised they chose that exact shot...

04-10-2005
Unveil Yourself....

Oh my, Du looks wonderful! She my favourite new girl, this runway season... Seeing her on such a gorgeous cover warms my heart

twitter.com/ErikP87
04-10-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge
Now, I don't know if it's because I've been listening to the French Vogue negativity at fashist, or if it's because someone's standing over my shoulder munching food while I look at it, but I have the magazine in my hands - and it's the worst issue I've seen for some time. A lovely cover, and some of the shots from the leading edit are nice, but I get the sensation that this magazine is having a laugh at my expense (or at least at the cover price I paid for it).

For example, the editorial with Natasha Poly has her wearing jackets on the top of her head, draped in suggestion of a nun's wimple - and while it's amusing in concept, it looks stupid in practice, like an artist that tries to pass off something slapdash as a work of genius. I think that's the whole feel of this issue - styling and concepts of no substance, dressed up as a package we're supposed to take seriously. I don't usually have this feeling about French Vogue, but Carine's gone too far in presentation with too little in content this issue, I think.

However, there are a lot of superb ads, so I'll be ditching the edits to enjoy the rest of the issue as it should be savoured.
Agreed. That's what I feel very often for French Vogue

12-10-2005
Unveil Yourself....

Does anyone have scans of the Du or Morgane eds inside? I really want to see them, since I cannot find this issue anywhere in the Netherlands.

Thanks!

twitter.com/ErikP87
14-10-2005
Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaschemme
+ diamond advertising featuring Morgane Dubled (10 pg)
I bough the issue finally, but I do not see this in it and I double checked, where should I look?

twitter.com/ErikP87
15-10-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Dale
I bough the issue finally, but I do not see this in it and I double checked, where should I look?

Between page 178 and 179, this is called "Diamant : éloge de la sensualité"
photographer : Eric Maillet
style : Claire Dhelens
(credited as "Promotion Condé Nast/Vogue")

you can see two photographs on whynotmodels' site

here they are :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morgane1.jpg (87.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg morgane2.jpg (96.4 KB, 16 views)

15-10-2005
clever ain't wise

by Patrick Demarchelier (scanner credit to Liv). For more, check out the Gemma thread - just posted some more of this ed there.

16-10-2005
Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaschemme
Between page 178 and 179, this is called "Diamant : éloge de la sensualité"
photographer : Eric Maillet
style : Claire Dhelens
(credited as "Promotion Condé Nast/Vogue")

you can see two photographs on whynotmodels' site

here they are :
Ok, that is so strange. There is something completely different on pages 178 and 179 in my issue. Perhaps because I bought it outside of France?

twitter.com/ErikP87
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2005, demarchelier, du, gemma, juan, october, paris, patrick, vogue, ward