How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-03-2008
fashion elite

Better hair without conditioner?
so this is kind of weird, i think, as they always say conditioner is supposed to make your hair better etc..

when i wash my hair with shampoo only and dont use conditioner, its nice and fine. however, when i DO use conditioner, my hair gets greasy, turns into a mass of randomness (and unhappiness!), and is generally very undesirable.

this is weird, and i wonder if by not using conditioner now i am damaging my hair in the long-run.

08-03-2008
tfs star

i don't use conditioner anymore either. without it, my hair has a lot more volume and stays cleaner looking for longer.

08-03-2008
The future is stupid

I don't use it either. You might be using too much conditioner and/or not rinsing it out well enough...but regardless you get build up. If your hair is OK then go w/out...you'll save time & money.

08-03-2008
V.I.P.

I would say just as long as your hair doesnt get very weak .. some people dont need to use it.. maybe a light spray in one etc??

09-03-2008
scenester

It could be because your conditioner has a lot of silicone in it - have a look at the ingredients and anything that ends in 'cone' is a silicone.

Some people's hair love cones and others' don't. You could try a 'natural' conditioner that is mostly oils.

09-03-2008
fashion elite

thanks guys! i guess my hair just might be the type that is better without conditioner, which yeah thats good (saves me money!).
i am also curious about oil treatments, which i think i will look more into!

21-03-2008
tfs star

I think it is fine. Sometimes I put conditioner on the ends of my hair then apply shampoo so i washes the conditioner out! If you are worried about damage maybe just condition once a week or something.

21-03-2008
i'm almost ready..

i dont use conditioner either...although my hair is very short (pixie cut) so it tends to not need it...when it was longer i did...but i made sure it was an organic, all-natural conditioner so my hair didnt get all that yucky build up....i think as long as your hair isnt dry and stringy you probably have enough natural oils to condition your hair without needing to use it....so be happy!...

21-03-2008
V.I.P.

depends on the shampoo for me. some shampoos contain enough cones to leave the conditioner out, while others left my longish hair stringy and dry, where i simply HAD to put conditoner in to have my hair manageable.

sure enough, since i got a buzzcut, i don't have such issues anymore

21-03-2008
Diamond

Does anyone with color treated hair (specifically bleached hair) skip conditioner entirely? Or do you all have "virgin" hair?

~Madeleine Albright
21-03-2008
V.I.P.

when i had my over chinlength hair permed, i couldn't live without conditioner. i found it helped to define my curls.

22-03-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipkitten View Post
Does anyone with color treated hair (specifically bleached hair) skip conditioner entirely? Or do you all have "virgin" hair?
I skip sometimes but mine is dyed a reddish colour. I think with bleached hair it needs conditioning.

22-03-2008
V.I.P.

^I agree with you, mine's dyed dark red and I sometimes skip conditioning, but with bleached hair I think you should use conditioner.

22-03-2008
trendsetter

I think I'm the opposite. I can't imagine not using conditioner. And when my hair was longer I'd sometimes rinse it and use conditioner but not shampoo everyday. Maybe my hair is drier though. Also I get split ends so I feel like I need the nourishment. I use Aveda products though so I doubt my conditioner has much by way of -cones. Actually since my hair has been short I'll skip washing it altogether for a few days and just rinse with warm water in the shower. After a few days not washing it looks best. And I just spray on the refresher stuff afterwards. Too each his own I guess.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShariEma View Post
It could be because your conditioner has a lot of silicone in it - have a look at the ingredients and anything that ends in 'cone' is a silicone.

Some people's hair love cones and others' don't. You could try a 'natural' conditioner that is mostly oils.
i'm going to find out how many "cone" is there in my conditioner.... could anybody advice such natural conditioner, please?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
conditioner, hair