How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-02-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gia0202 View Post
Plisskin--- you need to have xtremly thick, course curly hair that naturally hangs down to get that look. next just brush out your own natural curls, blowdry your hair halfway, or put rollers in your hair and brish the curls out.

but if you naturally have a more typical fro---you can't get htat look.
Well that sucks...

But I'm still going to try and get that look. There has to be some way I can concoct/buy some type of moisturizer to get my hair like that.

14-02-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Princesse View Post
Out of curiousty what hair are you using; I'm asking because here in the UK our range is limited...
well, I used to use Sensationelle premium yaki gold, but it was shedding like no ones business. Now I buy mine online, and its a perfect match, where I'm natural and I only flat iron my hair

14-02-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by baRose View Post
I havenít straightened my hair in years but when it was straight from the flat iron, it didnít revert back. I had these weird pieces that wouldnít curl again. You may have to cut those damaged areas off.

I havenít used Miss Jessie's products and frankly turned off by the price AND the fact they wont list their ingredients online. I dont mind spending $$, but I want to know what I'm getting.

Thanks for replying!

I have another question that is an extension of my other one. The part of my hair at the top (its hard to explain the location) is kind of an undefined frizzy mess. Some part of it is curly, but it is mostly a lump of frizz. Its not at the ends, its just there. I want to know if its possible for this to be damaged too. Is all damaged hair straight, or could it also be frizzy? Or am I overreacting? I'm sorry I never had natural hair before and i'm young so I really don't know how to take care of hair.

15-02-2008
Aby
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadejack View Post
Thanks for replying!

I have another question that is an extension of my other one. The part of my hair at the top (its hard to explain the location) is kind of an undefined frizzy mess. Some part of it is curly, but it is mostly a lump of frizz. Its not at the ends, its just there. I want to know if its possible for this to be damaged too. Is all damaged hair straight, or could it also be frizzy? Or am I overreacting? I'm sorry I never had natural hair before and i'm young so I really don't know how to take care of hair.

OK, I'm not sure I understand correctly.

You want to know if some part of your hair is still with chemicals from the relaxer even though that hair is frizzy, right?

I guess it could still be, unless I'm wrong the only way to know is to "compare" by checking your roots with the rest of your hair. Same texture, same reaction after washing? Are the ends straight?

It's hard to tell really and I'm not even sure what I'm telling you is right.

17-02-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aby View Post
OK, I'm not sure I understand correctly.

You want to know if some part of your hair is still with chemicals from the relaxer even though that hair is frizzy, right?

I guess it could still be, unless I'm wrong the only way to know is to "compare" by checking your roots with the rest of your hair. Same texture, same reaction after washing? Are the ends straight?

It's hard to tell really and I'm not even sure what I'm telling you is right.
No, I cut off all of my permed ends. The hair that I'm talking about is not on the ends. I got it hot curled, and I want to know if it got damaged . Its frizzy while other parts of my hair is more defined.

19-02-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
does anyone else have this problem:
If i comb my hair out b4 rinsing out the conditioner, i lose ALL curl definition even after rinsing the conditioner out, drenching my hair.

do you think its cuz my hair is dry?
I have very curly hair, and if I plan on wearing it curly--when I'm the shower I let the stream of water detangle, but I don't comb it at all when I'm conditioning or after. This keeps the curls "clumped" together.

backstage pass

^ I have very curly hair, too, but I have never tried that. My hair is super!thick and I'm afraid it'll be a mess if I were to not use a comb (the water doesn't detangle anything). Would you mind showing a picture of your hair dry after the procedure? I'd like to see the results so that maybe I can try it out. Always looking for something new to do with my hair.

19-02-2008
V.I.P.

I NEVER comb my hair. it would cause me to have a big long frizz ball a la Diana Ross. I'm like cinnamon. I put conditioner in while in the shower and I don't completely rinse it out. I run my fingers through it while very wet then let it air dry. While it's still pretty wet, I put in Garnier Fructisse Hair putty or bumble and bumble curl conscious. There is a product by Kťrastase that's supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it yet.

Did i already run through this routine in this thread? whatever...I swear by it!

le rÍve est rťalitť...
20-02-2008
Aby
V.I.P.

^ I think I'll try that! Thanks for the input btw.

20-02-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Michelle Iman, if I were you, I'd stop relaxing it. why not straighten it with a flat iron instead? that works just fine. the relaxer will thin your hair out. i thought i had eczema on my head too--till i stopped relaxing it.

It's funny, after I posted that I cut all my hair off. I am now wearing it braided. Does anyone know a natural hair salon that I can go to? I'm tired of braids!

20-02-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfruit View Post
^ I have very curly hair, too, but I have never tried that. My hair is super!thick and I'm afraid it'll be a mess if I were to not use a comb (the water doesn't detangle anything). Would you mind showing a picture of your hair dry after the procedure? I'd like to see the results so that maybe I can try it out. Always looking for something new to do with my hair.
Just to give you an idea.... My hair is a lot shorter now--just bobbed it (in avi).... I'm on the left...

Aby
V.I.P.

^Do you let your hair (air) dry or do you use a hair drier with diffuser? And if so do you scrunch it or you just dry it randomely?

It's winter here and it takes forever to dry my hair naturally.

20-02-2008
fashion elite

cxinnamin , my hair s like yours--- but it hangs down more. thanks for the advice.

micheleiman-i just got an AMAZING blowput at medusa salon in parkslope, brooklyn. ask for anastasia. she is amazing. cost 55 for me (my hair is very thick and a lil past my shoulders) she is white--the whle salon is, but waay better than some dominican place. i also thin many of these black salons give you heat for going natural.

20-02-2008
fashion elite

aby, personally, i will put myhair in rod or reg rollers when its wet. i go under the dryer or sleep on it. it is amazing botticelli curls the next day.

20-02-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aby View Post
^Do you let your hair (air) dry or do you use a hair drier with diffuser? And if so do you scrunch it or you just dry it randomely?

It's winter here and it takes forever to dry my hair naturally.

I do both. In the winter and now that I know longer live in Miami (*tear*), I diffuse. I've found that when I diffuse, the curls "hang" more. When I let it airdry, my hair shrinks up a lot more once it's fully dry.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
african, black, hair, tips