How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-10-2011
trendsetter

It is a big difference though! Looks great!

I'm trying to decide if I need highlights. I saw the back of my head in a mirror last week. Can you say roots? Not pretty. It blends in fine in the front though so I had no idea.

18-10-2011
Riot Bug

Psylocke many thanks for the encouragement

lafindesiecle looking for the same color sorta... but you know how is get rid of dark colours... a baby steps process... I'm thinking about giving a lighter touch on November... kinda counting the days... haha
We'll get it

trendsetter

My hair looks so yellow today! Sometimes I wonder if I am just paranoid about it looking too yellow.

19-10-2011
Simplethings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphine View Post
I'm trying to decide if I need highlights. I saw the back of my head in a mirror last week. Can you say roots? Not pretty. It blends in fine in the front though so I had no idea.
i had the same problem. i looked okay from the front but in the back it looked like i was wearing a little hat maybe partial highlights? i have that now and it's easier on rootage

Snejana Onopka

fashionweek.com.ua

19-10-2011
trendsetter

Not to mention partials are always way cheaper. I have a work event in a month, so I am trying to put off any salon-related things until right before that.

19-10-2011
Riot Bug

I blame the blond change colour over the shampoos, the water quality,... & so on... can't wait for my next fixing i saw mine really really dark... meh

trendsetter

It's totally the water, and it's gotten worse since I moved apartments a year ago. I feel like I have to continually be lightening my hair just to keep it looking fresh.

20-10-2011
backstage pass

this probably isn't a thing you'd want to do if your hair is multiple colours of blonde or is quite long, but i freshen up my girlfriend's platinum pixie cut by mixing bleach powder with a really weak developer (like 10 or sometimes 20, with the 20 i'll sometimes also dilute it with some conditioner which i think used to be called a 'soap cap') and slapping it on for 5-10 minutes... works great to neutralize some of that dullness, lifts maybe half a level but not enough to dry the hair.

i've also done it to even out the colour when she leaves the toner on too long and gets those weird blue/grey streaks on the more porous parts, same deal, just breaks the colour enough to brighten and even it out a bit.

20-10-2011
V.I.P.

I wanted to lighten my hair just a little bit because I wanted to go from black to dark purple again. Since my natural hair color is a dark blonde and I hadn't touched up my roots in a while I tried not to put any of the lightener (I used Schwarzkopf L1+) on my roots but for some reason they still turned bright yellow I didn't want to use the purple dye over this because I fear my roots would turn really, really bright purple. So I put some brown dye on my roots but now they're orange, lol. Total fail. Not leaving the house tomorrow Is there anything I can do other than dying it all black again?

20-10-2011
backstage pass

i'd wear a cute hat tomorrow and call your favourite hair stylist ASAP

20-10-2011
V.I.P.

I think I'm too embarrassed to go see a hair stylist Luckily, now that my hair is dry it doesn't even look that bad anymore. But I will probably still have to see a hair stylist.
If I had something like a favorite hair stylist I would have had it done by them right away but I don't trust any of the ones I've ever been to. A lot of my DIY adventures have turned out much better than what they have done to me at the hair salon

20-10-2011
trendsetter

I hate stylists who try to invoke shame for home hair projects. It's like they can't leave well-enough alone.

I've tried the soap-cap thing before, but I am waiting til my hair gets to a length I am happy with before I start busting out the hardcore bleach, but just so you know. It's not hard to lighten your hair a half-step just using 40 or 50 volume developer, and not adding in any ammonia/bleach powder. It can itch though and is hard to leave on your head for a long time, but doesn't give off the same noxious fumes.

21-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphine View Post
I hate stylists who try to invoke shame for home hair projects. It's like they can't leave well-enough alone.
I know, I hate them, too. Before I posted here I googled some other hair forums and on each and every one of them there were hair stylists calling people stupid for trying stuff at home. And they wouldn't even help and answer the questions I like experimenting with my hair and I really don't care if the result isn't perfect. And even if I messed it up really badly and had to chop off all my hair my world wouldn't be over, it's just hair. And it's my hair and I can do with it whatever I want without having a professional telling me that the color doesn't match my complexion or that my bangs are uneven, etc.

Seeing my hair in the daylight I think the disaster isn't as big as I thought it would be. Since it's not sunny at all atm my roots don't look as bright and I actually love the color my hair is now. And I'll always have the problem of my roots being brighter than the rest of my hair because my natural hair color is so much lighter than the colors I dye my hair, haha.
I think I'll wait a few days and see a hair stylist next week, but only if people around me make fun of me for having orange-y roots :p But I can easily cover them anyway, clipping back my bangs or wearing hats.

Is the soap cap thing similar to a bleach bath or does the bleach bath work differently?

21-10-2011
backstage pass

yeah, psylocke, the black hair with dark red or purple roots thing can actually look sort of cool when i think about it.... sometimes it might look a little too "teenage goth at the mall" but that's not always a bad thing! i think you can definitely run with it if you're allright with it. plus so often the "OH MY GOD WHAT DID I DO" shock has more to do with looking so different and not with it actually looking bad!

i think a soap cap is pretty similar to a bleach bath, just a somewhat weaker way to strip colour/lift a level or two without damaging hair too much! i've heard a lot of different terms for similar processes.

Last edited by lafindesiecle; 21-10-2011 at 01:47 PM.
22-10-2011
V.I.P.

I hadn't really thought about that possibly looking nice. I think your roots would have to be a bit longer for it to look good, no? But with all the two-tone fascination going on at the moment I think pretty much everything works
I did some further damage control yesterday because after washing my hair the orange hairline got even brighter so I put some black semi-permanent Stargazer dye on it (since those dyes aren't damaging) and used the purple dye for the rest of the hair. It looks quite even now because the orange+black turned into a nice purple shade, too :p I'll probably continue using the semi-permanent dye for my roots for a while and slowly go back to my natural shade this way so I can be a blonde again by next year. (<--Just so this post isn't entirely off-topic, haha)

And thanks for the info about the soap cap. There do seem to be quite a few different ways how to bleach your hair. But I don't think I'll use any of these at-home kits to bleach my hair in the future, it's too nerve wrecking because I never know how it ends up looking.
Though I must say if it wasn't for the f'ed up roots I did a pretty good job with the rest of my hair!

Last edited by Psylocke; 22-10-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, blonde, hair, thread