How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

26-12-2008
trendsetter

I agree that both are beautiful. I am more partial to the golden-blonde, but it's just my personal preference, as you look lovely with both golden and cooler tones.

Kissablekae made a good point; since both colors flatter you equally, the choice is more about the image you want to project. Golden blonde is more playful and bohemian (think Sienna Miller, Kate Hudson), while cool, pale blonde is more refined and fashion-forward (think Gwyneth Paltrow, women in Hitchcock movies).

26-12-2008
Adore You

thanks GasolineRainbow, i love your user name! i love seeing rainbows in gasoline puddles

this morning i tried the Pantene Silver Expressions shampoo which is purple. its okay. im not expecting any change so much as NO change to my hair! i just got it done on Saturday so really i just want my highlights to stay ash. i plan to use this shampoo once a week for maintanenece.

* clean : i suppose its okay but i dont really know i dont use much hair products and i wash my hair daily.

* moisture : actually quite drying! i would suggest a strong condtioner or maybe even hair mask after.

* scent : i dont love it. i dont hate it either. its not quite fruity or citrusy but its sharp but bareable if im using once a week. i prefer soft neutral scents like Sheer Blonde. since i use my Sheer Blonde conditioner afterwards i end up smelling like that and not Pantene.

* stains : no purple stains on my hands, nails or hair. most reviews said this shampoo doesnt stain but other brands have been known to do so be careful!

27-12-2008
rising star

I've naturally got tannish strawberry-blonde hair, and just last week I've gone almost blonde! I got a full head of highlights, I really love the colour and I think it suits my complexion a lot more than darker hair, which I've done before and was contemplating. I think next time I'll get my hair completely dyed blonde rather than jst get the highlights.

Any really good products anyone could recommend for DIY hair lightening? Just something discreet and subtle, 'cause I think I'd like my hair just a bit lighter than it is.

27-12-2008
Adore You

^ i dunno man i wouldnt mess with my hair myself if im going lighter! id just go to my hairdresser. but its better to not too much to your hair at once. i wait at least a month between. soft, touchable hair is sexy!

29-12-2008
front row

Right now, I'm obsessed with Scarlett Johansson's hair color in Vicky Cristina Barcelona... But my own hair color is more similar to Hannah Murray's in Skin (mid-blond, kinda golden, but with some slightly darker roots). Not sure it would be possible to change my color that easily without bleaching... What do you think ?

29-12-2008
In Bloom

I'm not even sure if I'm blonde anymore. It's kinda like a golden non-colour. Like Snejana's, only less red. I think I miss being blonde...but I sure don't miss the roots

we were in love

29-12-2008
V.I.P.

I recently went from my natural brunette to blonde (so many compliments!) , but the thing is, it's all one tone, which is kind of dull. And it came out warmer than I expected. I bleached it twice (i know, i know, shame on me) and it looked horrible so I bought medium ash blonde colour and left it on for about 15 minutes and the colour came out looking really nice and natural! It's just not as cool as I wanted it to be, it's on the warmer side sans any highlites. Is there a way I can make it cooler like the photo kissablekae posted of Vlada? At this point my hair looks like Toni Garrn's sans the dark undertones. Thanks!

29-12-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine View Post
I recently went from my natural brunette to blonde (so many compliments!) , but the thing is, it's all one tone, which is kind of dull. And it came out warmer than I expected. I bleached it twice (i know, i know, shame on me) and it looked horrible so I bought medium ash blonde colour and left it on for about 15 minutes and the colour came out looking really nice and natural! It's just not as cool as I wanted it to be, it's on the warmer side sans any highlites. Is there a way I can make it cooler like the photo kissablekae posted of Vlada? At this point my hair looks like Toni Garrn's sans the dark undertones. Thanks!
Use a toner!

I used to be bleach blonde, PLATINUM, and now I'm kind of like a lauren conrad blonde/ sarah jessica parker blonde. I like it, but i miss the bleach effect. Sigh

29-12-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinella View Post
Right now, I'm obsessed with Scarlett Johansson's hair color in Vicky Cristina Barcelona... But my own hair color is more similar to Hannah Murray's in Skin (mid-blond, kinda golden, but with some slightly darker roots). Not sure it would be possible to change my color that easily without bleaching... What do you think ?
Without seeing your hair colour now, I would assume you would need to bleach and tone it.

29-12-2008
V.I.P.

Doesn't toner wash out though?

30-12-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine View Post
Doesn't toner wash out though?
Nope!
You mix it with a peroxide...

30-12-2008
Adore You

Satinella, i think bleach. i havent seen the movie but i think it looks pretty from what ive seen in the poster and promo stills. her hair was also nice in The Island

The Ida, i would still consider that blonde! i really like Snejana's medium blonde hair, it suits her. the strawberry is nice on her but generally i dont like strawberry blonde hair as much as golden/ash. roots drive me crazy too! week four i get antsy and week five which is the longest i'll go its just torture...i dont know how people go months and months without touch ups! but i have a supercute like dark lavendar knit hat i wear when my roots show

Katherine, i think bleach and tone as well. my former hairdresser who i HATE(its strong word but BZ screwed me over) told me that toners will wash out before. i dunno i dont think of toner as the same as hair dye like it will noticeably fade. so say if its too warm/gold then it wont really get better with time(because blonde does tend to go warmer due to outside elements) so i would definitely run ash toner over it!

so basically ive gone to hairdressers to tone & dye and its a good change for sure but its not dramatic at all and never got as ash as i wanted which is more like that Vlada photo i posted. last Saturday i got more full weaved in ash highlights, ooo i love. im still working towards the solid blonde look like Vlada & Snejana but not completely i like the subtle texture i get from highlights. but in general i hate highlights at the roots cuz i see the lil blocks of color, im so anal about that kind of stuff! blend blend blend!

Last edited by kissablekae; 30-12-2008 at 02:54 AM.

30-12-2008
In Bloom

The thing with toner is that if you have bleached hair, some of the toner will remain in your hair. I toned my hair medium blonde (it said so on the box), but it turned out brown But when the toner started to fade, I had the loveliest dark blonde hair. I might try a strawberry blonde toner, but I don't know if there's bleach in it, and I might wait until summer...and until I get a haircut.

I just hate that the bottom of my hair is blonder than the rest due to sun exposure Does this happen to others - you go out in the sun, and suddenly your hair is lighter?

we were in love

30-12-2008
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
I just hate that the bottom of my hair is blonder than the rest due to sun exposure Does this happen to others - you go out in the sun, and suddenly your hair is lighter?
I have naturally blonde hair and have found that, by the end of summer, the top layer has lightened significantly compared to the rest of my hair. I don't mind, myself - the contrast between the light top layers and darker bottom layers is neat, especially when I style my hair so that you can see both shades.

Last edited by seanutbutter; 30-12-2008 at 10:40 AM.

30-12-2008
trendsetter

^I love golden-blonde hair that gradually lightens towards the bottom and is lighter around the face than in the back. It's a marker of natural color, and many hairstylists actually strive to create that effect artificially.

To anyone getting highlights, don't get them done right at the roots. It looks great for about three weeks. It's better to get them done in various distances starting at least a couple of centimeters away from the roots, concentrating on the middle layers within the hair, and lightening the ends and front hairline strands the most.

Do this, and if your natural haircolor is light enough, your highlights won't need to be redone for up to six months. In fact, they'll look even better as they grow out.

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 30-12-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
blonde, hair, thread