How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

20-09-2010
V.I.P.

actually my color is not orangy it s stawberry blond then at the bottom it's blond

20-09-2010
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

FASHIONLOVA, strawberry to light on bottom doesn't sound as bad of a jump. especially with the trend of two tone hair . Sky Ferreira's hair in her Vogue Italia interview reminds me of that. the strawberryness is at her roots(not highlights), it doesn't go down as far but it kinda fits her style. i always thought that the more natural hair like the roots would be easier to bleach. or at least that seemed to be the case for me. roots vs colored parts might need different amounts of time with bleach though. maybe Voltaire's toner idea is not a bad idea. i hope you can get advice from another HD you know or guy who works in the beauty supply store. if you do decide to try that, i suggest getting a brush to paint it only on the strawberry parts and watch to see how its reacting. i think my hairdresser left mine on for about 30 minutes. she said: we're going to leave on for 30. i think she checked on me 20 mins in and said that we would indeed need 10 more minutes.

mmhmm my sister had the same issues with the salon she went too because its owned by her boyfriend's aunt. she did ask to go back to fix things and it was fine, though it's different for everyone depending on the relationship dynamics. and like i said some hairdressers pride themselves on how your hair turns out and want to make you happy. then there are others aren't so invested in their clients...they're invested in your pockets but not your hair

ugh, someone should make a well stock beauty supply site with international shipping!

my blonder pieces are around the hairline/sides of my face because my hair is naturally lighter there and doesn't hold the dark dyes as much. i feel like my hair has gotten more muted the more i wash so that's goood.

~

Daria Werbowy
the color fade is nice and her hair texture looks so soft

ohnotheydidnt

Last edited by kissablekae; 20-09-2010 at 10:51 AM.

20-09-2010
V.I.P.

well when i look at the mirror i hate that the top is not as blond as the bottom.

but it's weird because when i leave the salon it's fine then few weeks later it changes. it washes out and turns to this ugly color that i absolutely hate.

20-09-2010
fashion icon

Lara Bingle's hair is really nice, love both the color and the cut

20-09-2010
trendsetter

^
shame it's on her head though.
& FASHIONLOVA. if you get free visits to the hairdressers, go and see him about putting a toner through your hair to take the brassiness off, or to correct it, whatever it is you are after. the experts are the best hon xxxxx

20-09-2010
V.I.P.

ok guys here s a picture of how it is, i think in daylight it looks even more orangy ughh i just noticed now that i took pictures. i need to get it fixed asap i hate it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa.jpg (327.6 KB, 4 views)

20-09-2010
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

^ i don't think it's bad. def more strawberry than orange to me. believe me i've see girls who had hot orange hair. its has gradual fading like the better version of the two tone style(the 'bad' version is when it's blocky with too high contrasting of colors).

i think the way this color is styled with help a lot, waves and possibly small wardrobe changes.

20-09-2010
V.I.P.

thanx for the input.
ya my hair doesn t wave much, on the pic, it s been in a bun braided and in rollers

if u go few pages back u can see how my hair was few years ago, that s the blond i ve had for a long time. and that s what i wanted when i went to get it done

20-09-2010
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

no problemo

i like how waves looked when i was blonde but my hair is naturally straight. i have long hair too so it takes foreverrr to curl. i like the waves coming from the roots like Sky's.

i didn't see your hair pix a few pages back, can you link the post?

Last edited by kissablekae; 20-09-2010 at 03:26 PM.

20-09-2010
trendsetter

Fashionlova, your hair is not bad love xxx it's actually really nice. i can imagine you may be frustrated with it, i mean we all become frustrated with our own hair lol, but i like it.

21-09-2010
lovely but empty

Agreed! Fashionlova, your hair looks fine. Just give it time to grow.

25-09-2010
backstage pass

I got this image from the Lauren Conrad thread:

I LOVE her shorter ombre hair.. my hair is about the same length.

I absolutely LOVE being blonde but I do hate the upkeep that comes along with it.. my natural hair colour is that mousy light brown dark blonde colour, so it either needs to be lightened or darkened, and i prefer to keep it light.

However, if you look at Lauren's hair in the photo, the darker colour she has at the top is very close to my natural colour. i would LOVE to get ombre hair done, but the problem is I don't have a hair stylist I trust and it's so hard to find a good one i find SO many hair dressers try and use reverse psychology and tell you the results they've achieved are what you asked for.. and then you don't realize until you've gotten home and actually think about it that you dislike it! i prefer honesty.. if what i want will be difficult or impossible to achieve in one visit.. tell me!

does anyone know of any good hair stylists in the Toronto area?

this is my current blonde, i was staying last week i needed to get it redone. but i would really really REALLY like to do the ombre look.. i just know i would never attempt it myself!

this is my current blonde.. you can see the regrowth at the top and this picture isn't the most recent, just the most recent one i have in natural lighting..

i would love to hear from kissablekae on this one

25-09-2010
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

hey teenagexvanity hey!

i haven't see Lauren's hair short till you posted. it's cute! i think when she first started doing ombre it was too long then she trimmed it and looked much less like Barbie doll hair.

girl, you're telling me! i have a friend who is a hairdresser and he is always playing with my hair. if i go past the 4 week touch-up, i'll never live it down! only time i went past 4 was when i had the flu and he didn't see me . he has been keeping track of my current highlights too, about 2 and half weeks lol

i love your natural color. i always liked mousy brown/blondes...not to be confused with dishwater blonde . the color is just so soft looking. your regrowth is not bad.

Lauren's ombre doesn't look like it would be too hard to do on you since you have the ideal base already. you can just let your hair grow and then worry about getting balayage highlights on top later when its really grown out or you can start with highlights on the top portion from chin down like Lauren's. balayage : free hand hair painting, no foil. so you can start further/far from the root and it looks more natural and less streaky.

i don't know about Toronto but i looked online and found a place in my city that does Balayage. the reason i didn't go to that salon is i don't know anyone else who has been there and there aren't many reviews online yet... i'm not exactly starting with ideal base so i don't wanna come out of with hot orange balayage highlights...at least with my hairdresser, we know each other well and will work through all the challenges together.

for Lauren's hair i would say to do heavy highlights or a bleach out on the 'underbelly' of the hair. the part that shows when you bring it forward. and lighten the very fine strands in the front bang area. your bangs look long enough to pull off this look. the reason why i didn't like the Laetitia Casta-esque bang highlights is because i was still growing out my bangs but typically i do like them, its like a halo . the highlights i mentioned earlier on the top/outside of the hair starting from chin level down i think are optional for you. you don't have to do it since you are starting with good colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenagexvanity View Post
i find SO many hair dressers try and use reverse psychology and tell you the results they've achieved are what you asked for.. and then you don't realize until you've gotten home and actually think about it that you dislike it! i prefer honesty.. if what i want will be difficult or impossible to achieve in one visit.. tell me!
^ i hate that too that's why i usually am talking with them throughout to make sure they got the message. take your time looking at your hair when they are done and address anything you don't like verbally. you can have them fix right there(minor things like toner, if its a disaster...you might not want them to ever touch your hair again lol RUN GIRL!) or you can go home and think. so if you call them up again the next day or so, it won't be a surprise for them and they can't 'deflect' blame(i don't think it's good to have a negative i-need-blame-the-hairdresser outlook but sometimes it IS their fault because they weren't listening etc). don't pretend to love it if you don't... shoot! i never do lmbo and i'm a nice client and i tip well.

you should discuss a 'game plan' with the hairdresser. this does not guarantee that you will go back to them, its more insurance for you! a lot of them won't tell you if they can't achieve what you want in one go until you're leaving unhappy or underwhelmed. i also ALWAYS have pictures, don't tell me you gave me what i want, when i put the pix next to my hair and the different is night and day, gold and ash!

of course if they got nasty attitudes then you can tip accordingly and not give them anymore business.

one time i saved my sister from a hairdresser f'n up her hair...i met up with her at the salon. she asked for light brown highlights and the hairdresser thought she wanted all over dye. he starts painting her head with dye. my sister doesn't know much about doing hair thats why i offered to drop by to oversee. i went in and was like "WTF! i thought you wanted highlights". lmfao you should have see the looks on their faces! he gave her a discount.

25-09-2010
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

^ oo i left out a whole chunk!

i don't know if you wanted to darken your top layer of hair to match your roots? i'm assuming you only want to have two colors for ombre. your root color on top then the lighter blonde bottom half/underbelly.

so you would be dying the top layer to match your roots and leaving light parts you already have alone.

28-09-2010
front row

Does anyone know anything about semi permanent dye?

Im super new to this, and havent coloured my hair before, but over the decades it has got a little darker, which i am told is now an ash blonde. My complexion is cold/cool, so i was wondering if it would be a good idea to try going a touch lighter in a similar tone, but cant commit to the idea of permanency.
Does semi permanent not go lighter? Im sure i heard this somewhere...

Anyhow here is a little sample of my hair :

(my pics)

If i dye it, i guess i can kiss goodbye to my natural colour for life, right?
Too big a risk?
Thinking of consulting a stylist for advice today.
Also my hair is naturally wavy with some curl, which i usually blow dry straight.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
blonde, hair, thread