How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-08-2008
windowshopping

Fixing damaged hair.
Has anyone used any products or maybe some other kind of method that has actually helped fix their damaged hair? Besides just cutting it off, what can you do?

16-08-2008
front row

^Hair can really benefit from a protein treatment and some good deep conditioning afterward.

07-09-2008
V.I.P.

I just bought Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture shampoo & mask treatment conditioner and my hair loves it. My hair is very dry due to being wavy in nature and I color it a lot. It seems to just soak this stuff in. It is very affordable, to boot!

16-10-2008
scenester

I’ve always had shorter coarse, kinky, darker strands of hair that stick up which I think is pretty normal, but recently I’ve seen a LOT more than usual. It’s not just breakage as well, but longer strands of hair that have become frizzy. I was wondering if anyone knew what caused this? I’ve also noticed a lot more breakage in general (that hasn't necessarily changed texture). Is this just hair damage? I do blow-dry the front of my hair every second day. I’ve also been under more stress than normal too.

18-10-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperheart View Post
Iíve always had shorter coarse, kinky, darker strands of hair that stick up which I think is pretty normal, but recently Iíve seen a LOT more than usual. Itís not just breakage as well, but longer strands of hair that have become frizzy. I was wondering if anyone knew what caused this? Iíve also noticed a lot more breakage in general (that hasn't necessarily changed texture). Is this just hair damage? I do blow-dry the front of my hair every second day. Iíve also been under more stress than normal too.
Well, it could be a number of things since unfortunately you are under stress lately, but you may want to check whether you have hard water. I believe that mineral content in water can cause breakage & frizzy hair. A way to combat it is to get a filter that strains out minerals & chlorine. Also, try to use a heat protectant to blowdry, deep conditioning treatments weekly, and try to take multivitamins & and omega oils as well. Good luck on your way towards healthy hair and with overcoming what is causing you stress.

19-10-2008
scenester

thankyou for that!! i didn't even think about a heat protectant
the stress isn't caused by anything serious, just end of year exams. hopefully my hair will improve afterwards!

20-10-2008
V.I.P.

so, this is what my mum (hairdresser) learned me to do for healthy hair: cut an avocado into half, mash and mix it with some honey & oil (i use olive oil but i'm quite sure you can also use any other oil). then put it into your hair & cover it with a towel (the warmth should intesify the effect). the longer you leave it in, the better. then just rinse it out with water & wash your hair as usual - that's what i (try to) do every 2 weeks and it really works! my hair is quite thick & healthy but it's quite bleached form the sun & the ends are split. as i want to grow it out, i don't want to cut it and so this mask is my "emergency-hair-treatment" haha

fashion icon

I use an Indian hair oil made from gooseburys 3 times a week and also putting some olive oil on your hair and leaving it for a while before you wash it out is good for hair

02-11-2008
scenester

I really like Redken Butter Treat.

And I swear by coconut oil. I have naturally dry hair which I make worse by using a straightening iron (I use a Chi, but it still dries out my hair.
I put coconut oil on my hair whenever I can when I'm at home. I just slather it on and leave it on for as long as possible. Then I wash it out and it really makes a big difference.
I do this at least once a week

06-03-2010
THE STRANGER

Any tips for frizzy, thick, dry and rebellious hair?

11-03-2010
V.I.P.

My brother is 12 years old and he has dandruff... any help?

11-03-2010
THE STRANGER

^Massage a bunch of oil (Joboba, Olive, Coconut... They'll all work fine) into his scalp, leave it on for about 30 ~ 60 mins. Shampoo it off in the shower, and there should be significantly less dandruff the next day. Keep up this routine for a while - it will eventually rid his hair of dandruff!

11-03-2010
V.I.P.

Thx michyed, I will give it a try

24-03-2010
front row

Redken anti snap has helped my hair go a lot longer between cuts. After I towel dry my hair I work a bit of that and some Bumble and Bumble leave in conditioner through the ends.
Other than that I use a deep conditioner once a week and try to let my hair air dry as much as possible, that and switching to natural shampoos has really improved the condition of my coloured hair and dry ends.

27-03-2010
V.I.P.

I'm going to dye my hair sometime soon. Any thoughts or ideas on how prepare my hair for it in the days before? I just want to minimize the damage.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bleached, caring, colored, damaged, frizzy, hair, heat, styled