How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-07-2008
fashion elite

castor oil + coconut oil ( mix them together) apply them to your roots...granteed hair growth !!!!

07-07-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato. View Post
Ooh all these tips are helpful!

Does hair grow slower if you have extensions ... ? Sorry that's a really dumb question.
i actually think that since you hair is protected in a way they help retain length but you have to make sure they are put in by someone who knows what they are doing! Otherwise, if they are put in too tightly, with hair glue, or any other way that puts stress on your hair and scalp it may result in traction alopecia ( a la Naomi Campbell) or weakening of the hair. if they are put in well there is less need to constantly manipulate your hair which is good for avoiding breakage.

I've heard MSM, a type of organic sulfur, is supposed to work really well for hair growth and overall body health. The only downside i've heard of is detox type systems while the body acclimates to it ,but otherwise it sounds quite promising. has anyone tried or heard of it?

17-07-2008
front row

I'm wondering if the "Beautiful Lengths" line by Pantene really works? Anyone heard anything about it?

19-07-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcisima View Post
castor oil + coconut oil ( mix them together) apply them to your roots...granteed hair growth !!!!
Thats what I've been reading up about lately...theres a long hair community forum that swears by it. Some of the people use different oils like jojoba, olive oil, and so on. I just bought olive oil and coconut oil for my hair I mix them both together heat it up for a couple seconds in the microwave and massage it into my hair and leave it in for 30 min. or longer.

01-09-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by birgitta View Post
i actually think that since you hair is protected in a way they help retain length but you have to make sure they are put in by someone who knows what they are doing! Otherwise, if they are put in too tightly, with hair glue, or any other way that puts stress on your hair and scalp it may result in traction alopecia ( a la Naomi Campbell) or weakening of the hair. if they are put in well there is less need to constantly manipulate your hair which is good for avoiding breakage.

I've heard MSM, a type of organic sulfur, is supposed to work really well for hair growth and overall body health. The only downside i've heard of is detox type systems while the body acclimates to it ,but otherwise it sounds quite promising. has anyone tried or heard of it?
Hey thanks for the reply! Well, I just recently took out my extensions and started using that oil mix, it actually works pretty well.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucindaMay View Post
Take MSM as a suppliment. It is excellent for growth and repair and many other things.
So my friend started taking MSM some months ago and told me how different her hair (as well as skin) was. She said it became softer and healthier (and even darker, naturally she's a ravenhead but it had been lighter from the sun, etc.). I finally saw her a couple of weeks ago, and WOW! Her hair looked gorgeous! I seriously couldn't stop touching it. It was so shiny, and soft and looked really lush. And curiously enough, it did look blacker (which is great 'cause I love black hair), but that's probably due to the overall health of it. MSM supposedly helps with collagen and cell repair, so it also affects skin as well as the bones and joints. There are no known side affects according to what I read, other than an increase in energy. Anyway, I started taking it yesterday so we'll see what happens.

And just for weekly maintenance I use coconut oil and it really softens it.

Last edited by Gincat; 25-09-2008 at 09:33 AM.
25-09-2008
front row

^Where did you get your MSM?

03-10-2008
doldrums

^^You can purchase msm from health food stores and similar stores where vitamins are sold.

I'm currently growing out my hair. During the early stages I wanted faster growth by using topical potions and taking supplements. Although I still take supplements I take them for overall health benefits and not just for hair. What helps is doing less with my hair no color, or heat. I hardly trim since I'm not causing damage to my hair which helps with growth since you're not constantly cutting damage ends away.

Now the weather is getting colder my hair is long enough to do a bun. I'm wearing buns throughout the winter or at least until the weather warms up again. Common article of clothing like wool scarves, hats and coats can snag the hair. The cold weather can also negatively affect the hair.

Last edited by silk skin paws; 03-10-2008 at 07:54 AM.
08-11-2008
front row

I used nutricap....and i swear my nails grew really long in just 2 weeks!! And my hair grew a lot more in 1 month then it usualy does!! I recomend that

11-11-2008
fashion icon

my friend recommanded me this supplement pill from holland and barrant for skin, nails and hair (uk health store) and i been taking it on and off. but lately i been taking it regularly so i will see how it goes. im gonna cut my hair soon anyways. but my nails have been growing so fast, it's a bit annoying have to cut it so often.

12-11-2008
front row

I just can't put oil on my scalp-my hair would be flat for weeks. I'm taking hair skin and nails vitamins and my nails are growing like crazy. I did get 1/2" of growth last month.

I heard that Monistat on your scalp works. Weird, I know, something about the anti-fungal properties of it. While it did get rid of the itchiness and flakes in my scalp, I don't think I had anymore growth than usual.

20-12-2008
rising star

I've found that Kelp supplements along with an A-Z helps a lot... I've noticed since i became lazy/forgetful and stopped taking them for a month or so that growth practially stopped.. so I'm going to start again as it definitely worked for me.

Just wondering what everyones experience with oils are like?
I have this tub of Coconut Oil, from Holland & Barret (uk), which i heat up and slather on my hair, probably only every month now. I leave it on for an hour or two usually but then I actually have to use a ton of shampoo and a bit of washing up liquid just so that my hair will be suitable for public viewing again... Which is probably reversing the effect of using the oil in the first place!
Are there any other oils that perhaps wash out easier and dont leave your hair so greasy? Mine gets greasy quickly as it is so the coconut oil doesnt help but I've heard so much positive talk about it helping hair grow long strong and shiny. My hair is so dry

Sorry for the essay!!

27-12-2008
fashion elite

I've read about Philip Kingsley PK4 Protein Capsules in Marie Claire, does it really works?

27-12-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbryony View Post

Are there any other oils that perhaps wash out easier and dont leave your hair so greasy? Mine gets greasy quickly as it is so the coconut oil doesnt help but I've heard so much positive talk about it helping hair grow long strong and shiny. My hair is so dry

Sorry for the essay!!
I used to put this hair oil from hei poa in my hair overnight nad never had problems washing it out! I don't know about its growth properties but it might be worth a try eh? Pic from hqhair.com

12-01-2009
V.I.P.

My granny has really long hair, and she insists on cutting it only on special days (has something to do with the phase of the moon/ the lunar calender I think) and it always grows back sooo fast So, seems to work!

Tags
encouraging, growth, hair, products