How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-05-2005
front row

I love braids! Unfortunately, I can never figure out a way to do them without looking like an idiot.

I love Kirsten's braided 'do in Eternal Sunshine, Ashley's hair at Zac Posen and J. Lo's recent Heidi style. I like random braids in hair worn down - like Sienna Miller wears occasionally - they're just very discreet. I also really like this loose, messy side braid (please ignore that Hohan is the model), a style which I have tried to do myself. Didn't exactly succeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hohan.jpg (93.6 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by bohemian rhapsody; 11-05-2005 at 02:20 PM.

14-05-2005
scenester

so i attempted this after being inspired when seeing the movie (and this thread too!) but it didn't work out very well.

I have very thick hair and can't see how the plaits can stay on the head by just a hairclip without a band holding the plait together. Is there just the one clip holding two plaits together at the middle? Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do this style?

17-05-2005
rising star

Braids are pretty, especially French braids. I've really got to learn how to do it instead of having someone else do it for me!

17-05-2005

i think braids are always hot

26-05-2005
backstage pass

^meee tooo

i'm anything but a paris hilton fan... in fact, i'm the anti-paris hilton fan.

but i actually like her hair here.
(gettyimages)

26-05-2005
backstage pass

oops... here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paris_braid.jpg (31.4 KB, 14 views)

30-05-2005
front row

i love braids! i was JUST going to post on how to get this kind of braid that's on Gemma. I like the really knotty and messy looking braids. Sorry if it's a little hard to see, I just love how it looks really intricate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gemhairknot.JPG (37.9 KB, 42 views)

31-05-2005
windowshopping

How are the braids held up? Like the ones J-lo has - Is it all pins?

31-05-2005
PH1
windowshopping

first time seein most of these people with braids ... some look so cute with them!

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassgood
anyone know how i could make ash´s braids? thanks in advance! im thinking of getting them done for a gala thing i have sat!
err..this is a bit late, but i did the ashley thing on sunday, except i did the braids on both sides of my side part and kept my hair loose and flowing. they looked great! for me, the key was to start the braid about and inch from my hairline, so i had some hair to bring into the french braid. good luck everyone!

16-06-2005
V.I.P.

Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko..:p

Yeah, she's 44 years old!

front row

OOh I read about her! .. she wears black lace and corsets to very important meetings and Vivienne Westwood-esque platforms!

Anyway, thanx for the fishtails method! I practiced on my little sister and its the easiest thing to do! Wish I'd known this ages ago!

17-06-2005
front row

Can anyone find a picture of Jessica SImpson with that braid she had kind of on the top going down the side? i think its cool!

Champagne taste on a beer budget...
17-06-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsue
Here you go bridget

Fishtail Braids

This is a stunning two-strand braid and is a great way to learn the concept of French braiding before tackling three strands.

1. Divide a small section of hair where you want the braid to start (usually at the hairline at the front of the head or just behind your bangs if you have them) into two even sections.
2. Comb each section smooth.
3. Cross the right hand section over the left section.
4. Pull the sections away from each other to tighten the plait.
5. Using the pointed end of a rat tail comb, lift a small section of hair on the right by drawing a line against the scalp from the hairline to the middle of the braid about a half inch to an inch beneath the first plait, depending on the thickness of your hair and how woven you want it to look (more strands create a more woven appearance).
6. Add the new section of hair to the existing section on the right and then cross it over the left section; tighten the plait.
7. Again using the handle of a rat tail comb, lift a small section of hair on the left by drawing a line against the scalp from the hairline to the middle of the braid even with the section you just lifted from the right, add this hair to the existing section on the left and then cross it over the right section.
8. Continue the process alternating right and left sections, tightening each plait as you make it, until you reach the hairline at the nape of the neck.
9. Secure the remaining hair with a hair-safe ponytail holder. You can then let the remaining hair hang free or weave a standard English braid to the ends.

Tips: For a different look, cross the sections of hair under each other instead of over. Keeping your hands close to the head will create a tighter braid, holding your hands away from the head will create a looser, more drapey braid.

from www.longlocks.com

Can you post a picture of a fishtail?

Champagne taste on a beer budget...
17-06-2005
front row

purplelucrezia posted a couple of pictures of them on page 2, about 9 posts down

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
braids, pics, tips, tricks