How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-01-2007
trendsetter

I am going ash blonde soon. I have red hair and I have to bleach it till it is light yellow and then put the ash toner on. I am very tempted to let the bleach sit till it is platnium cause I love how platnium looks when it is done right. Lovely! I am lucky too, as brown hair goes to red to orange to yellow and then to blonde. I am half way there already by nature!

Last edited by modelbehavior228; 02-01-2007 at 06:15 PM.

11-01-2007
fashion insider

My biggest problem is keeping the toner from fading....unfortunately, my hair has a lot of underlying reddish gold in it (in the picture it looks more reddish than it really is) that tries to peek out from behind the paler blonde hair. This pic is taken after a while, I need to get a pic of my hair immediately after it has been touched up when the hair is more platinum.

So far I get about less than two weeks before I have to touch up the toner and the roots (my hair grows really fast ). I bought a shampoo that has toner in it specifically for pale blonde hair so I'm going to see how long it keeps my hair from going gold. I wish I could find a toner that lasts longer!

backstage pass

gosh, I am going to be blond one day...even for 1 day only!!

11-01-2007
scenester

I'm quite blonde- platinum but more white and I just LOVE it. Being blonde is so fun and while you're young and carefree, you might as well. The upkeep is ridiculously expensive but SO worth it. After years and years of maintainence, my best advice is stick to professionals. Brocato Blonde is fantastic, as is Aveda. I also have very very long hair so I've bought professional scissors and trim my hair once a week. Every 6months, I get a professional haircut. Take hair pills. Wash only every other day and once a month, do not wash for one week- it's painful but worth it.

22-04-2007
fashion insider

Do you think that platinum blonde hair and white hair are the same thing?
For me it is not. Platinum blonde is imo very close to white but it isn't white really. For me white hair it what a lot of people have when they get old. Unless you colour it snow white then.
Some people say that Gwen Stefani has white but imo she is a platinum blonde.

Last edited by Platinum Blonde; 22-04-2007 at 09:11 AM.
22-04-2007
V.I.P.

It's obviously different.

01-05-2008
Diamond

My platinum blonde dreams have been dashed

After 2 cycles of bleach and countless toners, my hair just won't budge past the "yellow" phase. Platinum blonde is just out of my reach. I have wanted platinum blonde hair since 2001 when I wore a platinum blonde wig for Halloween; but alas, my natural hair is just too red. It is a sad day, indeed.

~Madeleine Albright
01-05-2008
fashion insider

Thank you so much for all your answers and the picture!
Hipkitten: I can feel your pain and I feel so sorry for you. I have wanted to have platinum blonde hair since about 2001 too. Right after my high school graduation seven years ago I tried to get. I got it golden blonde but never platinum blonde. I think I have to much red highlights to get it too. I think the closest I'll ever get to it is to have a platinum blonde wig.
But I won't give up and I really want to try to achieve and maintain it.

02-05-2008
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Blonde View Post
Thank you so much for all your answers and the picture!
Hipkitten: I can feel your pain and I feel so sorry for you. I have wanted to have platinum blonde hair since about 2001 too. Right after my high school graduation seven years ago I tried to get. I got it golden blonde but never platinum blonde. I think I have to much red highlights to get it too. I think the closest I'll ever get to it is to have a platinum blonde wig.
But I won't give up and I really want to try to achieve and maintain it.

I am so bummed! This is the third time I've tried (and failed). Not sure why I thought this time would be different. I'm bummed because not only am I stuck with this yellow mess until Monday morning (my stylist insisted we give my scalp/hair a break) but my hair is damaged. Luckily it's short so the damage will grow out quickly but right now it sucks! Why is it that we always want what we cannot have?

~Madeleine Albright
19-06-2008
tea time

after being very non impressed with the purple conditioners i have tried i have made my own i dont know why i didnt think of it sooner!

i use the la riche directions toners i was using white until i decided i looked a tad funny with that so have switched to silver which is better. i mix a little of the toner with the conditioner i already use which is aussie 3 minute mircle colour apply it leave it for 5 mins and ta da keeping it looking silver

and on the upside those little pots last me forever.

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
19-06-2008
V.I.P.

in Plum Sykes' "Bergdorf Blondes", she mentions "13 day blondes", which means getting the hair done every 13 days.

seriously, that's a LOTTA work.

i'd rather just buy a platinum blonde lacefront

02-07-2008
scenester

I'm a platnium blonde, I was going to go back to my hairdresser next week as i'm having a big birthday but she's going on holiday! I don't know anyone around who knows my hair and can make it platnium. It's so scary. a week before my b'day i don't want to end up with a bad bleach job!!!

15-06-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie917 View Post
I'm quite blonde- platinum but more white and I just LOVE it. Being blonde is so fun and while you're young and carefree, you might as well. The upkeep is ridiculously expensive but SO worth it. After years and years of maintainence, my best advice is stick to professionals. Brocato Blonde is fantastic, as is Aveda. I also have very very long hair so I've bought professional scissors and trim my hair once a week. Every 6months, I get a professional haircut. Take hair pills. Wash only every other day and once a month, do not wash for one week- it's painful but worth it.
Fascintnating!

so you trim weekly? that must be amazing for your hair...much better than relying on 6week trims, right? I'm a short bob hair girl presently, so do you think it would be a good idea to do weekly trims myself? i'm unsure because my hair being so short doesn't seem like it would allow me to do an even trim.

what hair pills--brands, dose, do u use?

what makes it painful to not wash for a week?

is your hair thick, and what volume/toner/shampoo set do u use? was your hair long and light before u went platinum, making the transition easier?
mine was dyed red before i did the color correction of going platinum. i wish i started from virgin hair not dyed. my hair is quite short and i sometimes wonder if dying is putting too much stress on the ends, making them break off so that my hair is giving the illusion that it isn't growing. it seems like it takes forever for my hair to grow.

i've had no success with the violet toner shampoos...i don't notice a difference at all
and they never seem to make my platinum locks lighter, instead they go grayer.
what am i doing wrong?

another thing about the platinum shade of blonde: i notice there isn't much of a concensus on what platinum is among stylists. i've very exactly requested platinum in high end salons and still got a grey/brownish tint over my blonde, or even a greenish hue at times.
how does your stylist formulate your shade?

15-06-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance.Is.Refusal. View Post
after being very non impressed with the purple conditioners i have tried i have made my own i dont know why i didnt think of it sooner!

i use the la riche directions toners i was using white until i decided i looked a tad funny with that so have switched to silver which is better. i mix a little of the toner with the conditioner i already use which is aussie 3 minute mircle colour apply it leave it for 5 mins and ta da keeping it looking silver

and on the upside those little pots last me forever.

so you prefer a silver hue versus a white/pearl hue?
hmmm, is that really platinum or is that more gray?
please post pics! i have been on the quest to find the right shade of platinum for me and it's been very confusing.

i heard gwen stefani and j from tyra's show retouch their roots every week with a q-tip...is this true?
thats more work than a 13 day retouch!

15-06-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Blonde View Post
For me it is not. Platinum blonde is imo very close to white but it isn't white really. For me white hair it what a lot of people have when they get old. Unless you colour it snow white then.
Some people say that Gwen Stefani has white but imo she is a platinum blonde.
from what i understand of stylists Gwen still has a golden tone, like playboy bunny blonde. white has nothing but white hues...there's no other tones present.

i don't white old white i want pearl-like platinum that's reflective and looks like a blend of moonlight and sunlight. some stylists call this a pastel, or creamy platinum.
i like kim novak, mansfield's, gwen's and monroe's shades a lot.

with bleaching- what's the gentlest on scalp? im amazed at CHI bleach and Joico's is nice too.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
blonde, hair, platinum