How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-03-2011
oh! darling

Feather Extensions
I'm craving one of these bad boys. The best part is that you can wash them in your hair normally! Score.

jeremyandkathleen.blogspot.com

15-03-2011
oh! darling

argusleader.com
Quote:
But flocks of free-spirited local women - and a few men, too - are sporting feathers in their hair, adding length, texture and a bit of unexpected color to their locks.

"They've kind of exploded in popularity," says Kylie Black, a stylist at Hair Unlimited in Sioux Falls. Her salon adds feather extensions - which cost $12 for the first feather and $7 for each additional feather - to about 30 people every week.

The feathers - yes, real feathers - come in a variety of colors, from bright bold pinks and blues to neutral tans, blacks and whites. "It's a quick and easy way to add personality into your hair," Black says.

Adding the feather extensions to hair is easy, Black says. The feathers are attached with a small silicone bead that's looped around the hair and feather and is clamped down at the root. Most people add at least three feathers.

"Some people think that it's going to hurt, but it's really quick and painless," Black says. It's so quick, in fact, that most people take longer to decide which color of feathers to choose, Black says. Adding them to the hair takes less than 10 minutes.

Much like traditional hair extensions, the feathers can be washed, dried and styled. "You treat them just like your hair," Black says. "You can wash, style, curl, straighten and shampoo like normal. They're very low maintenance."

There is one caveat, however: Be careful when you brush your hair. "You don't want to accidentally pull the bead out," Black says.

The feathers are guaranteed to remain in the hair for at least three weeks. But they often last longer. Black has had hers in for the past two months. "They don't damage your hair at all," she says.

There's no commitment, either. Taking them out is just as easy as putting them in - it's simply a matter of bending the bead and pulling it out, Black says. The feathers can even be reused.

Amanda Black loves the look. She has blue, pink, white, yellow, black and turquoise feathers in her hair.

"I love hair pieces and extensions, but I've never had anything like these before. They're fun and cool," the 20-year-old woman says. "They're awesome. I want to put more in. I want to be all feathered up."

oh! darling

goldnraysofsunshine.blogspot.com

Riot Bug

not for me...

V.I.P.

this is really popular her in so-cal....

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
21-03-2011
front row

the stripy ones remind me of those 'coon tail' things the scene kids used to do:

scene-hair.net

21-03-2011
oh! darling

Screw the scene kids.

I hope they burn in a fire that I will be burning containing copies of Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Catcher in the Rye.

I think I may get one this week. My hair is daaaark brown, so a red feather could be nice.

front row

^ scene kids can't burn, they just melt

I don't get how, if they're real feathers, how they can be straightened and curled and washed and all that... I just don't see how it would work.

27-03-2011
front row

i love this idea! but i have a feeling they will look... overdone in a couple of months

01-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Naomi View Post
^ scene kids can't burn, they just melt

I don't get how, if they're real feathers, how they can be straightened and curled and washed and all that... I just don't see how it would work.
because feathers are very similar in structure to hair follicles

02-04-2011
backstage pass

yeah they seem like something that would be fun to wear out on Friday night, but when you wake up and see them every morning it just gets boring.

like a kid that gets a new toy and then drags it around everywhere for weeks until it just falls apart.

backstage pass

i've had them in for a while now and i love them...i've always been pretty "safe" with my hair, so this is just a fun way to add a little something without going too crazy...

but my god, these things attract attention like crazy. i seriously get people asking me about them on a daily basis

trendsetter

I think it has been ruined for me. I see it on too many people. Including a five year old. That's probably what killed it in my eyes. But I don't think it looks dumb or anything, just too many people have it now.

fashion icon

I think it looks really cool and I'd be willing to try it out because it doesn't damage the hair or anything (and I don't do anything that will ruin my hair! lol). However my one worry is that it will be a fad and in a few months I will think to myself, "What was I thinking? Feathers? Really?" Although they do look really cool. But at the same time I wonder if its a form of culture appropriation because feathers are seen as something special to many Native American groups. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

V.I.P.

i agree on it being a fad. about 6 months ago, it was cool, because no one had them, but around here i see them quite often and there was even a gal with a feather extension booth at my local flea market

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
extensions, feather