Spring Fever, I too had a hair disaster once ... I had a beautiful head of long hair in great condition, I'd been growing it my whole life. I was in college and had always wanted beautiful *curly* hair, so I went to a friend's cousin and got a perm. She left it on for a long time since it was "virgin" hair. When she unrolled one of the rods to take a look, suddenly she and one of the others were dragging me to the sink, unrolling the rods feverishly, and rinsing. It turns out that my hair takes an excellent perm and by leaving it on so long she had irreparably damaged my hair. She also must've applied the solution unevenly because (even after she whacked at it) the hair on one side of my head was 6 inches longer than on the other side. Had I known anything, I'd have gone home and washed my hair but good, and kept doing it, but I didn't. Eventually I had to face reality and have all of it cut off.
The good news was that I liked it short--so much easier to take care of.
As far as your disaster--DO NOT TRY TO FIX THIS AT HOME. You don't like the orange? It could turn green, and I am not kidding. The others who've said you need a primo color expert who comes highly recommended (by multiple reliable sources, I might add) are absolutely right! Put on a baseball cap (you could have one custom-embroidered "Bad Hair Day," I had one made for a boyfriend ), and go about your business till you can get an appt with someone who can fix this.
And it's true about the cap--that's very 1970s old school. I had highlights done that way nearly 20 years ago now, and it was old school then.
I bet something good will come of this--you're going to have better color when this is all over--and you may also learn to appreciate your hair au naturel, as I did I haven't had a perm in many moons now.
And perhaps your erstwhile hairstylist will go get some training
PS I'm pretty adventurous with my hair & always tell myself, "The great thing about hair is it always grows out."
__________________ Luxury is living a simple, elegant, and responsible life. Luxury is a reduction.
This article you are quoting is about absorption of chlorine through the skin.
You originally said:
Originally Posted by LucindaMay
You absorb more water through your skin than you do drinking it.
Chlorine is not water.
I don't question the quoted facts about absorption of chlorine, but I disagree that we are absorbing more water through our skin than by drinking it.
Originally Posted by LucindaMay
Maybe you should do some research before you go making accusations.
"Up to 2/3 of our harmful exposure to chlorine is due to inhalation of steam and skin absorption while showering.
A warm shower opens up the pores of the skin and allows for accelerated absorption of chlorine and other chemicals in water. The steam we inhale while showering can contain up to 50 times the level of chemicals that tap water contains, due to the fact that chlorine and most other contaminants vaporize much faster and at a lower temperature than water. Inhalation is a much more harmful means of exposure, as the chlorine gas (chloroform) we inhale travels directly into our blood stream. When we drink contaminated water, the toxins are partially filtered out by our kidneys and digestive system. Chlorine vapors are known to be a strong irritant to the sensitive tissue and bronchial passages inside our lungs; they were used as a chemical weapon in World War II. The inhalation of chlorine is a suspected cause of asthma and bronchitis, especially in children; such cases have increased 300% in the last two decades."
I was just on the Lush website looking at different hair treatments and i came across this http://www.lush.co.uk/system/index.php it's called Daddyo and by the sounds of it it can help get rid of the green tint, i think!
ok, i have really dark brown hair (i'm asian) and i've been wanting to dye it a much lighter brown, kinda a golden brown, but the hair dye i'm getting doesn't let you use it on your eyebrows...and i'm wondering if i leave my eyebrows my natural colour, if it would look weird. what should i do??
This is always a problem with dark hair. I have dark brown (almost black) hair and I tried magma too (I went to a hairdresser) and it turned out exactly the same as yours. The hairdresser told me that I can only put some die over it because when dark colours get stripped this always happens. I had to put some light brown over it but the final effect was too strong anyways (the highlighted hair went almost dark brown). But I think with lighter hair colors it should be okay. But watch out because highlighted hair is more porous and soaks up hair color very well.
So...I thought I was doing great, I found a really reasonibly priced hair serum(think like frizz-ease)...for a couple days everything was great, my hair was gorgeous.
And now, towards the back of my head, there are a bunch(yeah, quite a few) of strands that are sticky and soaked with the product. Mutiple shampoos aren't getting it out. I'm completely freaked. And I don't have a normal hair stylist that I go to all the time, so I feel like a really big idiot to beg in a salon for help.
Any suggestions on how to get this stuff out of my hair? or do I really need to go to a salon?!?
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different." Coco Chanel
So have you tried clarifying shampoos? There are specific shampoos designed to get rid of build-up..those might help. And if you've already tried those, try mixing baking soda into one of your shampoos, massaging into the scalp, and leaving on for a bit. Then rinse and condition as usual. I'm not sure if this will work for you, but I know that it works on my hair!
Try using Neutrogena Shampoo Anti-Residue Formula. I had a similar problem that was due to twisting my hair up in a towel after a shower & ending up with a greasy/sticky back head. A second shower using my normal shampoo did not resolve the issue. This shampoo worked for me, it may help remove the gunk for you too.