How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-03-2005
front row

Glad to know you are satisfied! Okay, I need help now, I am new to Toronto and I am a guy, I badly need to get a hair cut, my hair is getting pretty long, but I am keeping it long cause I want to look professional at work and be able to style it when I go out.

WHERE SHOULD I GO?? HELP!!!!

15-03-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSophistactd
Glad to know you are satisfied! Okay, I need help now, I am new to Toronto and I am a guy, I badly need to get a hair cut, my hair is getting pretty long, but I am keeping it long cause I want to look professional at work and be able to style it when I go out.

WHERE SHOULD I GO?? HELP!!!!
Okay, I booked my apointment with JC, here is hoping they do a good job on me too, and I didn't ask for anyone specific? Did I make a mistake?? Should I be really specific in telling them what I want or should I just trust them?

16-03-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSophistactd
Okay, I booked my apointment with JC, here is hoping they do a good job on me too, and I didn't ask for anyone specific? Did I make a mistake?? Should I be really specific in telling them what I want or should I just trust them?
Urban - I was really impressed looking around the salon - it was just a good vibe... I say, have an idea of what you are looking for, and then just explain it when you go in.
I'm going to see Antonella this week to get my colour done.

15-08-2005
windowshopping

Cupello Salon in Toronto??
Browsing through some old threads I read enough good things about Cupello Salon in Bloor West Village to be willing to give it a try. Just wondering if anyone who's been there can answer a few questions for me:
1. What stylists have you been up or would you reccomend?
2. What's the minimum I should be looking to spend for a good cut?
3. Can they do trendy cuts? i want something a bit edgy but not to the extreme of Coupe Bizarre for example.

Thanks in advance!
Lisa

09-02-2006
front row

I've booked now with JC Salon as well. I don't yet have much of an idea of what I want, but I'll try to research that today (cut is tomorrow).

11-02-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assembler
I've booked now with JC Salon as well. I don't yet have much of an idea of what I want, but I'll try to research that today (cut is tomorrow).
Well. Got the cut. I hate it. It wasn't so bad in the salon, though I knew I wasn't terribly fond of it. But the next day it just looks completely plain. You can't even see the layers. This is about the second worst cut that I've had, and the second most expensive (I went for a "master stylist" thinking that was a safer bet).

Very dissappointed. I think I might go back to Toni and Guy to have it fixed.

22-02-2006
backstage pass

Assembler - on that note, I'm not going to JC anymore - my stylist moved to London, and no one even called to let me know.

That's not great customer service IMO - I was seeing him for over a year, consistently. (And he never said anything, b/c he didn't want anyone to know).

So now I need a new salon - suggestions anyone???

24-02-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezbatik
Assembler - on that note, I'm not going to JC anymore - my stylist moved to London, and no one even called to let me know.

That's not great customer service IMO - I was seeing him for over a year, consistently. (And he never said anything, b/c he didn't want anyone to know).

So now I need a new salon - suggestions anyone???
I think I'm going to start doing some mega research. I want to come out of a salon one day thinking "oh my god, I LOVE my hair cut". And if that takes hitting the pavement getting some bad cuts, some so-so cuts, some weird cuts so be it! I will report here...

Of course, I only have so much money so i think I'll limit it to one salon every 4 months. I love my hair though, and a great cut would do me wonders, so I think it's worth a bit of effort to get someone who really suits me!

I'll let you know, but if anyone has suggestions (i'll go through this thread again to read up on other suggestions) let me know.

26-02-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexl
Try Coupe Bizzarre on Queen St. West, it's one of the best hair salons in Montreal and the Toronto salon shouldn't be any different.

http://www.coupebizzarre.com

i went there once
it was the worst haircut i ever had...
and i shelled out about $80 for it
which inspired me to just cut my own hair at home.

backstage pass

A salon which I really enjoyed going to on my last visit, was at Holt Renfrew located on Bay and Bloor. It was my first time there, and let me tell you the service was amazing. I got my hair cut by a Stylist by the name of Lilliana, and she was tremendous. She was outgoing, fun and all in all a great stylist. I love the fact that when she cut my hair she gave me recommendations and suggestions.

Another feature I liked about going to the Holt salon was the fact that she did not use the razor to cut the side of my hair, everything was done by scissors which is great. It was perfectly even. The only time she used a razor was to straighten my hair line at the back and my sideburns. Also the complementary beverage doesn't hurt either hehehe.

I highly recommend anyone to go there, the service is fantastic and what better place to get your hair cut, where not too far away is a selection of Gucci, Prada, Dolce and so on. I don't think I'll be changing hair stylist for a very long time. Once again I highly recommend you give it try.

27-02-2006
scenester

For Cuts: Without question BENI from Salon Jie. He is magical with scissors, the most amazing person, and just fantastic all around. The salon is beautiful, the staff unparralleled...just amazing.

For Colour: Brian from GLO in Yorkville-I've been having my hair coloured since I was 14-and I have never had more beautiful, natural yet bright, colour. Highlights to dream of-not gross gina woodbridge highlights. Can't reccomend either of them more.

04-03-2006
windowshopping

AHH I am so conflicted!
I don't want to spend more than $40 (excl. tax) on woman's cut/wash/style.
Who should I ask for at JC Salons? Or should I go someplace else?

11-04-2006
windowshopping

Ok.. I am also on the search for the perfect haircut... I am hard to please... here are the places I've been to over the years/my review... As well, when people post good/bad experiences would you also mind including the general type of haircut/style you have or are interested in so i know..? so that it's relevant to each of us (ie. all of my experiences are for short cuts that are just under the ear- to mid length/just touching the shoulder hair)
Coupe bizarre: I went here for 6 years through junior/high school and had some great cuts, and some not so great... they seem to specialize in shorter hair/more funky cuts and are interested in texture and layering.. i've never gotten colour here. As well - if you're a student (univ even) there is a discount. (I like Laire best, if he's still there, Nikol also had interesting/funky cuts...)
Fiorio: I've been to both the Yorkville location and the one in Richmond Hill - I always got a senior stylist and found their cuts to be very reliant on the blow dry (once washed, they were basic cuts), and also I noticed their cuts made me look 'older' (but not in a good way), i didn't go back to either location
Civello: Queen: saw Dylan after recommendations from various people, I felt that she wasn't very warm/the cut was unimpressive; she also notified me as soon as I sat down her usually time/session is 45 mins, which I felt was a little abrupt (I have no issue of 45 mins, and often stylists finish within that time for me - but being told this before any introductions felt strange). iirc she was 80-85.00 for the cut pre tip etc. Saw Tomoko for colour - I wasn't impressed at the time, but so far the best higlights I've ever gotten, I like how they were placed/the thought.
Aveda Academy: I thought i'd try it out, since it was so affordable. The cuts were very basic (as in straight across), I did appreciate the time spent, but the cuts were quite boring
TAZ: I saw Franco after getting a recommendation - the haircut was middle of the road (compared to many of my previous experiences), he was fun and very talkative, but that seemed to be it... iirc it cost ~80 for my cut, if you have long hair it would be over 100 to see him
Toni & Guy: Yorkville, I saw Daniel (i think) a senior stylist, it was a fun haircut that I did enjoy at the time, I don't remember how I felt about it as it grew out... but maybe i'll go back, since it wasn't so bad?
Finally,
Flip Hair Design: I have been going here for a few years now, and have been seeing Greg (the owner). Got the best haircut ever the very first time... I've been going back trying to recreate the first time (with no success, so essentially the past 3 years have been a disappointment - I went to TAZ within this time frame and am now on a search for a new salon/stylist...). I also got colour done by Michael and it wasn't that great (you coudln't see the colour in my hair--- note, I have dark brown asian hair).

So.. the search continues, any recommendations would be MUCH appreciated! :-) I am willing to go back to salons I've been to before for a new stylist and also welcome any suggestions for new salons.. I'd ideally like to cap my spending @ 70.00, but will spent upto 90 for the perfect haircut (so that'd be a stylist that normally charges ~120-130 for long hair?)

Ideally, looking for recommendations from someone who has mid length hair (just touching the shoulder), who likes current/slightly edgy looks with layers etc (not just the straight across cut). I am not that interested in colour.. I'm looking to book my appointment within the next few weeks, as well - I don't care if the salon isn't well known/expensive etc... I'm currently looking at:
Shagg
The Lid Lounge...

For any out of towners/travellers, Shampoo Planet in London, ON is great! but I can't make it out there for a haircut...

Last edited by *iheartfashion*; 11-04-2006 at 11:43 PM.
12-04-2006
rising star

I would never go to Jie! I went there once and paid a couple of hundred dollars for a basic trim and "style" for my formal and all they did was blow my hair out..

Deliniation is good for basic cuts and its only around $40 and they also do good color. Joseph and Caroline are the best.

I like coupe bizarre for color but i'e never gone there for a cut.

20-04-2006
backstage pass

Has anyone been to Lid Lounge? I think its on Church...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, recommendations, salons, toronto