How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-10-2004
rising star

Hair Salons / Stylists Recommendations New York City ?
Does anyone know what the most famous salon in NYC is? Like one that models go to and agencies recommend. I'm going to New York in a couple of weeks and I'm curious...

18-10-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by desertrose05@Oct 17 2004, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know what the most famous salon in NYC is? Like one that models go to and agencies recommend. I'm going to New York in a couple of weeks and I'm curious...
[snapback]400256[/snapback]
do you have $600 to spend on a haircut?

18-10-2004
yes

there's one called Orbie or something which is REALLY expensive
i think he does J-lo's hair

18-10-2004
front row

I've always wanted to try John Sahag's salon. He's been cutting models/celebrity hair since the '70s. He did Kirsten Dunst's and Maggie Gyllenhaal's Jean-Seberg cuts. He cuts hair dry to bring out the hair's natural waves. I don't know how much he charges though, probably a small fortune.

For something more affordable, you might want to try Vidal Sassoon, Toni & Guy, or even those little cute salons in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

So she's pulling out the pin

- Elvis Costello
21-10-2004
windowshopping

Bumble and Bumble is another. I would have to agree with Faust though- it's likely going to cost a couple of hundred, say $300 something, to get your hair cut at a 'top' salon, if you can even get in.

Also, the salon the girls from America's Next Top Model went to. Can't remmeber the name , but it is a man's name and he is the owner and also does celeb hair in LA.

27-10-2004
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by tickledpink99@Oct 21 2004, 12:33 AM
Bumble and Bumble is another. I would have to agree with Faust though- it's likely going to cost a couple of hundred, say $300 something, to get your hair cut at a 'top' salon, if you can even get in.

Also, the salon the girls from America's Next Top Model went to. Can't remmeber the name , but it is a man's name and he is the owner and also does celeb hair in LA.
[snapback]403256[/snapback]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robert Kree in the village is really good.

27-10-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Oct 18 2004, 12:45 PM
there's one called Orbie or something which is REALLY expensive
i think he does J-lo's hair
[snapback]400802[/snapback]
oribe... (pronounced orr-bay)

30-10-2004
backstage pass

Hair stylists these days spend a long time with the actual cut but less time with the styling.

Now, the costly coiffures of the 60's were another matter. Women had to spend hours with their hair being rolled, curled, permed, teased, etc. Then they had to come in every two days or so for a reshaping.

Beehives, and such required the women to sleep stiffly. Sometimes sitting up.

Charles Baudelaire
13-01-2005
backstage pass

New York City Hair Salons Recommendations
Can any of you recommend a good place for mens hair in NY?

15-01-2005
Reanimated

Cutler (57th between 3rd and Lex?) Salon has a rep. for good men's haircuts.I had my hair cut there a few weeks ago and thought it was a cool- pretty laid-back vibe- pretentious, sure, but not overpowering. I saw a lot of cute boy models getting their hair cut and some shaggy dude who I think is in some band that I am not familiar with was checking me out from the back as he was getting his 2-hour long cut. Def. more guys than girls in there- not that I minded. . . Don't know what their prices are like because I received mine gratis

15-01-2005
fashion elite

Robert Kree on Bleeker. I have been going there for about a year now, and they do a fantastic job. Reasonable prices too---$68 for a cut. Great service, and an adorable atmosphere.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprika_hiccup
Cutler (57th between 3rd and Lex?) Salon has a rep. for good men's haircuts.I had my hair cut there a few weeks ago and thought it was a cool- pretty laid-back vibe- pretentious, sure, but not overpowering. I saw a lot of cute boy models getting their hair cut and some shaggy dude who I think is in some band that I am not familiar with was checking me out from the back as he was getting his 2-hour long cut. Def. more guys than girls in there- not that I minded. . . Don't know what their prices are like because I received mine gratis
That's cool but I would prefer a female to cut my hair.

15-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCouture
Robert Kree on Bleeker. I have been going there for about a year now, and they do a fantastic job. Reasonable prices too---$68 for a cut. Great service, and an adorable atmosphere.
Thanks.

15-01-2005
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
That's cool but I would prefer a female to cut my hair.
Yeah . . . I was talking about the ratio of male to female clientele, not of the stylists. But there were a bunch of male stylists there, too, so you should probably skip it and go to where the most boobies are

16-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprika_hiccup
Yeah . . . I was talking about the ratio of male to female clientele, not of the stylists. But there were a bunch of male stylists there, too, so you should probably skip it and go to where the most boobies are
I just want a place that has some hotties but are good with men's hair. I went to Prive, Bumble and Bumble, Peter Coppola, Pierre Michle, Oribe is no longer there, I think there is a place at Bergdoff but too much female clientle so... I want to pay like $60, $70, something like that. The ones that do magazines at Bumble and Bumble don't deal with the public so...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, hair, recommendations, salons, stylists, york