How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-06-2006
windowshopping

Hair Styles for Black Girls
Any tips out there for African-American girls with natural hair. I just can't do all the styles in the magazines and that's ok, but I am having trouble coming up with inspiration...any advice?

14-06-2006
front row

I have natural hair and I wear it in two-strand twists a lot, which is helpful because I don't have to really do anything else as far as styling but it still looks really good as long as a wrap it at night. I use to do a lot of plaits and cornrows as far as styling goes. And if you don't really feel up for doing that you can always put a cute headband on and wear your hair out if you have a decent sized afro.

15-06-2006
fashion icon

Black girls have the most beautiful hair! I'm so jealous! My hair is so fine!

17-06-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYdneY__
Black girls have the most beautiful hair! I'm so jealous! My hair is so fine!
Ah, thanks so much for the compliment, many days I wish my hair were more like yours...we spend so much time hating what we have and wanting what we don't! And to the girl who wrote the first reply, thanks for the advice, I bought a big jar of conditioner and I about to do some experimenting....so If you don't hear from me for awhile, I probably just lost my mind trying to comb through all my kinks!

17-06-2006
fashion icon

Thats okay! Yeah it's true hey - everyone wants what they don't have hehe! Let us know how your experimenting goes! Luck!

17-07-2006
front row

i'm sooo to have found this thread, i have about 8 inches ( stretched ) of natural hair that is type 4a ( small coils ), i recommend checking out nappturality.com and naturallycurly.com for info especially check out members' albums for ideas, my routine is as follows:

- i wash with conditioner everyday ( if i'm lazy every other day but daily is best ) in the shower, for this i use a light conditioner like garnie sleek and shine fortifying cream conditioner, i first rinse and fingercomb through with lots of water and scrub my scalp, then i divide the hair into 4 sections, saturate each section with conditioner scrub scalp and finger comb, then when all the sections are soaked i take a denman brush ( so much better than wide tooth combs for detangling and styling ) and detangle each section from ends to root, then i shower, then i brush through each section again and rinse each section with water as i finger comb
- next i squeeze most of the water from each section and wrap hair in a towel to absorb more water and let the towel sit until i finish applying my face and body products
- now i divide the hair in 6 sections and apply a mixture of jojoba oil, ylang ylang oil, and glycerine to each section finger combing through and then aloe vera gel to each section finger combing through, then use the denman to brush each section ends to root
- if i do this at night ( which i prefer ) i either put two loose ponytails in my hair, let dry as is, put six braids or twists in my hair to remove in the morning and blowstyle for a great afro, and/or diffuse dry depending on what i want or my mood, then finish style in the morning
- if i do this in the morning i style immediately either diffusing and then stretching the roots with my blowdryer concentrator attachment for a great afro or adding more aloe vera to slick and putting into an upstyle
- 1-2x a week i shampoo with dr. bronners mixed with apple cider vinegar, then deep condition with aubrey organics island naturals conditioner and style as usual
- also rosewater and glycerine is great to refresh hair in between product application
- i use a black color gloss to add shine and smooth the hair

when my hair was shorter i did bantu knots, at the length now i like a sleek side pontail with a side part and the front smoothed over and of course the afro

Last edited by lalablossoms; 17-07-2006 at 09:04 AM.
18-07-2006
windowshopping

So detailed Lala, thanks! you sure do get experimental with your hair care, don't mean to sound simple but I always thought you just use the normal bottle of shampoo and the bottle of conditioner, a little grease and be done. Well I am definately going to try what you said, now...how do you deal with humidity!?!?!

18-07-2006
front row

as far as experimentation it is the way to go until you get a routine and the more you read about what other people do the better ideas you get thats why i love hair forums, and for a while i used "normal" products but i've found that experimenting with mixing stuff is cheaper than salon products that work great, but you can customize it, if you arent so comfortable mixing yet i would recommend starting with something simple like curl activator ( yes trust me it really makes a difference and your hair isnt "greasy" if you add it in the right proportion ) mixed with styling gel, as far as humidity if your hair is a good length just wear it out and go with it, but an updo is your best friend, i know some naturals use hairsprays in humid weather too but i wouldnt recommend unless you wash or rinse frequently cause product build-up leads to dry, dull curls

oh and i'm open to questions i love to help, i'm considering going into cosmetology to help the "kinky/curlies"

21-07-2006
windowshopping

thanks for the tips, I definately am going to try some...although I am a little scared of the curl activatior, I am getting flashbacks of Coming to America!

21-07-2006
front row

the key with the curl activator is to use a gel formula as opposed to a liquid, and mix a small amount into your gel, curl activator gel is very concentrated and too much will make you sticky and stiff, too lil wont moisturize enough, but the right amount is heavenly, so i would say start with about 1/3 curl activator gel to 2/3 styling gel and if needed adjust from there, and remember the key to making this work is sectioning and working through the hair well with fingers and a brush ( try to find the denman d4 model it will save your life )

24-07-2006
front row

I have naturally coiled hair...its like small screw shaped curls all over my head. I found an awesome stylish that cut my hair into a style that fits the shape of my head and looks so feminine even though its a short, pixie cut. My only problem is that my hair is sooooo dry its like a desert lives in my scalp...any suggestions...

I have a similar thread under this category called Au NATURELLE...check it out!

01-08-2006
windowshopping

Lala can definately answer all your questions Jate...and I checked out your page, I am from Chicago too...SOUTH SIDE! Anyway, I have been using Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Naural cream but I am sure there is something better out there..good luck!

07-08-2006
backstage pass

my hair used to be natural, but then i relaxed it and now its easier to deal with, but its not as straight as id like it.. but neways, anyone have any interesting ideas for me? im going out this weekend and wondered if neone had any funky ideas. im just going out to dinner with some friends, kind of casual... thanks for the help

07-08-2006
backstage pass

What legnth is your hair?
I have short hair and I always do the funky spikey look or the faux-hawk.

For longer stiles the cute little pomp thingy in the front: you know how girls take the their bangs and bobby pin them back? and a ponytail in the back is always cute.

www.styleisagift.com
www.myspace.com/styleisagift
07-08-2006
backstage pass

^ my hair is medium length, it a little past my shoulders i really want to grow it out. but yeah i have bangs, they r definitely long wenough to do that... thanks ill do that.. thanx so much.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
black, girls, hair, styles