How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-08-2004
within an embrace

Hair Volume Questions - Root lifters / Volumizers
I have thick, medium to fine colour-treated hair, and lately, I've been wanting to put more volume in my hair. I has body, but I'd like a little more volume at the top of my head...near the roots...

My hair gets oily fairly easily (in about a day or a day and a half), so I don't want to apply things close to the top of my head/my scalp if it makes it worse...

Any recs?

Thanks.

22-08-2004
scenester

Phyto Phytovolume Actif (InStyle Best Volumizer)
Think big for fall: Wild waves and out-to-there curls, plus teased straight hair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F9C9F_mf.jpg (11.0 KB, 16 views)

15-01-2005
fashion icon

Root lifters or volumizers
I've let my hair grow very long, approximately to my bum. I really like it but I find it weighs down the hair at my roots and looks really flat.

Do any of you have any suggestions of a good root lifter that works really well but does not leave too much build-up?

Thank you for any suggestions.

15-01-2005
front row

I love Aquage root lifter...I have long hair and it is very light but gives alot of body. I have tried alot of different brands and I like this the best.

18-01-2005
windowshopping

Pantene Pro-V Classic Hair Spray is great,
Spray a little on while lifting peices near your roots for a bit of lift.

08-02-2005
windowshopping

Hair Questions:
-Does anyone know of a good shampoo and conditioner for volume? Has anyone ever tried 'Amplify' products? If so, do they work?

-Is there any other product(s) that are good for volume?

-What is a good product for holding curls throughout the day w/out your hair going completely flat?

-And, ofcourse..lastly, what are good product(s) for shine? (Without leaving the hair looking & feeling greasy.)

Thanks so much in advance!

10-02-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Amber
-Does anyone know of a good shampoo and conditioner for volume? Has anyone ever tried 'Amplify' products? If so, do they work?

-Is there any other product(s) that are good for volume?

-What is a good product for holding curls throughout the day w/out your hair going completely flat?

-And, ofcourse..lastly, what are good product(s) for shine? (Without leaving the hair looking & feeling greasy.)

Thanks so much in advance!
Shampoos for volume: Kerastase "Bain Volumactive" is great - Bumble and Bumble also makes a good one to alternate - can't remember the name...

Last edited by luxwear; 10-02-2005 at 04:33 PM.
18-02-2005
windowshopping

Volume at roots?
I need your helppppp. I have long layers and am really happy with everything about my hair except I hate/despise/loathe hair that is so flat at the roots it sticks to your head a la Avril Lavigne. This is a little extreme but a general idea of what I want..

( i swear this girl looks exactly like Barbie)

Anyways any tips would be awesome. Thanks!

woolgathering

My hairdresser recommended this product to me and it does work. However, this is the first volumizing product I've tried...so there might be better ones out there. Also, the first ingredient listed is alcohol...so I'm not sure how great it is for your hair.

On my bottle there's a sticker from Allure magazine...it won the Allure beauty editor award...hope this helps.

From sephora:
Phytovolume Actif Maximizing Volume Spray - Fine Limp Hair - $22. Phytovolume Actif is a maximizing volume spray for fine and limp hair. Keratin amino acids add body and give roots a lift.

20-02-2005
V.I.P.

Apart from using the volumizing product as suggested by lux, you could also blow dry your hair "upside down" i.e. bend your head over so your hair falls towards the floor before styling.

20-02-2005
front row

I was always getting that Avril Lavine comparison as well.. so I chopped a bunch of layers, some whispy bangs, and now am getting pretty successful at giving it some volume by doing the following:

I use Big Sexy Hair volumizing mousse. Shake well, and spray a line of the mousse along the part in your hair from the front of your head to the back. Now, keep making parts an inch or two apart down both sides of your head and put the mousse along them.

When you spray the mousse on the parts, don't just leave the mousse there - work it in with your fingers; a quick, hard massage will do.

When you blowdry, make sure you pull the pieces up and away from your scalp (I know it can be hard on the arms, but try!). And when finishing off, flip your head upside down and blowdry it like that for a couple of minutes.

20-02-2005
front row

Oh, also, it isn't the best for your hair and it can look horrid if done too extremely - but a little back combing with a large toothed comb near the roots can definitely give you volume if the blowdrying doesn't produce the big results you crave

20-02-2005
Adorable illusion

I have the same problem when my hair is all one length and the layers have grown out. I use mousse at the roots and a round brush to lift my hair at the roots when I blow dry it.

20-02-2005
offline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar07
Apart from using the volumizing product as suggested by lux, you could also blow dry your hair "upside down" i.e. bend your head over so your hair falls towards the floor before styling.
I do this... but eventually my hair goes flat... i need to find a good holding hairspray.

20-02-2005
The mod squad

Great topic !
I was meaning to ask this very same question

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, lifters, questions, root, volume, volumizers