How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-01-2009
backstage pass

i have really dry hair and have tried countless products. expensive-wise, the best i tried was terax crema, but its like $45 for 16 ounces at amazon. i tried all the products from bumble & bumble to include deeep, but they all made my hair feel drier afterwards. that made me mad because they smell so good. ive had success with the conditioner in feria hairdye and you can buy it at a beauty supply like sally for $8 (i dont know if youre from america, but i think any beauty supply would carry it). it really works well. when im lazy and poor, i just use herbal essences conditioner, the blue one, and keep it on for 20 minutes, then wash it out. believe it or not that works great too. sometimes i use desert essence jojoba oil, but just on the ends.

05-01-2009
rising star

You're welcome Danish.

12-01-2009
V.I.P.

Olive oil! It really does wonders. At least that's what I experienced :p After the summer, my hair got really dry and looked unhealthy. So I tried the advice my hairdresser gave me: On the days I wash my hair, I just put some drops of it in my hands, rub it into my hair, wrap a towel around my head & leave it in for some hours. Then I wash my hair as usual. Never had any problems with dryness again!

trendsetter

My hair is a bit dry and a bit wavy. The shampoo and conditioner L'oreal intense repair (the yellow ones) are great for my hair and are almost half of the price of the Kerastase ones. Everybody I know who use them love them too.

Last edited by Rubie girl; 22-01-2009 at 10:27 PM.
27-01-2009
front row

Do you wash your hair first and then put on the olive oil and then rinse again, or do you just put the olive oil on dry hair and then wash it?

28-01-2009
tfs star

I would use olive oil before shampoo/washing it or else your hair will be the completely opposite of dry, in a bad way.
I used coconut milk recently and it soften my hair nicely.

17-02-2009
tfs star

A few years ago I went though a mega dying phase and my hair was DEAD like my hairdresser had never seen. She gave me some special kind of shampoo (I don't remember the brand but I know it was about 30$) and that did help a little but what worked for me was just chilling out for a while. I really curtailed the dying to only retouching, and every time I washed my hair I would leave the conditioner (Pantene's are pretty hydrating I've found) in for about 3-4 min. My hair's really healthy today and I've stuck to that plan (minimal dying and a lot of conditioner) so that's what I recommend

26-02-2009
front row

Can anyone please help me? I have dandruff from a very dry and itchy scalp. I have tried Tea Tree Oil shampoo from Whole Foods in the past with no results. I used Neutrogena T Gel this morning, and the flaking and itching is worse! I had to put my hair up in a headband because the flakes are so embarassing. What should I do? I know Paul Mitchell makes a dandruff shampoo, but I am unsure as to what road to take now. Thank you!

26-02-2009
scenester

biolage conditioning balm speaks for itself

26-02-2009
scenester

bohobelle-good old head and shoulders
if you use it for a week it should be gone

28-02-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish View Post
I don't like to have oil on my hair. See if I can find Aussie 3 in pharmacy. How about Loreal? I'm thinking of using that hair cream fro damage hair thing
but it is knowing how to use oil that makes a big difference in how it looks/feels in the hair. Oil on dry hair does not moisturize at all and can make the hair feel dryer and greasy at the same time. However, a small amount of oil (not mineral, but olive, jojoba, or safflower) used on very damp hair, either mixed in your conditioner in the shower or applied by itself afterward can help lock moisture in and make the hair feel much softer. My hair is EXTREMELY dry, we are talking pure frizz by nature, and I do both, in the shower mixed in my conditioner and after on damp hair. It never makes my hair greasy and it makes it look like normal hair. Just remember, use a LITTLE and on DAMP hair.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelbehavior228 View Post
a small amount of oil (not mineral, but olive, jojoba, or safflower) used on very damp hair, either mixed in your conditioner in the shower or applied by itself afterward can help lock moisture in and make the hair feel much softer. I do both, in the shower mixed in my conditioner and after on damp hair. It never makes my hair greasy and it makes it look like normal hair. Just remember, use a LITTLE and on DAMP hair.
So for the sake of being more explicit, I should shampoo my hair, them blot/squeeze/towel dry it, then apply the oil? Is that how you mean by damp?

THen can you do it mask style and leave it on and wrap in plastic and towel and then continue washing for special treatment? It actually makes sense that hair that has been in a warm shower will absorb better because it is known that the "shingle" looking parts of the shaft open up.

And then for the everyday-with-conditioner thing, do you add it to the conditioner bottle or in your hand? Like a quarter size of each or how much?

Sorry I just want detailed instructions, I'm silly like that.:p

BTW, a product I have found to work really well is Aveda's Damage Remedy, although it does cost a bit more than olive oil . Also I second that kerastase masquintense works well too, although it isn't cheap either.

scenester

i would recommend olive oil aswell my hair is quite dry because it was bleached and i really see a difference when i put in some oil before washing it!

07-03-2009
windowshopping

Ojon products have changed my life!

08-03-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksatin View Post
So for the sake of being more explicit, I should shampoo my hair, them blot/squeeze/towel dry it, then apply the oil? Is that how you mean by damp?

THen can you do it mask style and leave it on and wrap in plastic and towel and then continue washing for special treatment? It actually makes sense that hair that has been in a warm shower will absorb better because it is known that the "shingle" looking parts of the shaft open up.

And then for the everyday-with-conditioner thing, do you add it to the conditioner bottle or in your hand? Like a quarter size of each or how much?

Sorry I just want detailed instructions, I'm silly like that.:p

BTW, a product I have found to work really well is Aveda's Damage Remedy, although it does cost a bit more than olive oil . Also I second that kerastase masquintense works well too, although it isn't cheap either.
okay, shampoo you hair, squeeze out the excess water after rinsing, use your normal amount of conditioner (I have to use a handful because my hair is so coarse it drinks it up) and add about 8-12 drops of oil to it. Mix it up in your hands with the conditioner and then put it in your hair as normal and then rinse out. Buy a cream leave in and mix about five drops of oil with it before putting it in your hair. Also, mix about a tablespoon of oil with your deep conditioner of choice before using and your hair will be super soft. Just use common sense, use less oil if you have short or fine hair, and use more if you have long or coarse hair.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dry, hair, treat