How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-01-2007
backstage pass

My hair is worse. It is always so flat that it looks like someone has ironed the top of my head and I have tried millions of things to "cure" the flatness, but nothing has worked. I ask hairdressers what I should do, but it is always the same response: "Try [x] volumising hair product and cut your hair shorter." My hair isn't even that long and short hair does not suit me at all.

01-01-2007
tea time

i havent been to a proper hairdresser in over a year, but im going to have to go back to my hairdresser as the friend that used to cut my hair is too far away.

my problem with the person that i go to is she just doesnt do what i want, i take pictures to show her, i describe what i want done i show her how short i want each bit like my fringe back of hair etc. yet she does a more toned down version of what i want and shes scared of cutting my hair short because its so thick but i know what my hairs capable of and it looks good short it suits me.

i think the real problem with hairdressers are they dont listen to you or they do and do a different version

they shouldnt be scared to cut your hair off the way you want, it grows back and hey you can always get a really nice hat

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
01-01-2007
tfs star

i know exactly what you mean soft. happens to me everytime i get my haircut! the girl that cuts it is good and she listens well but it still always ends up as a toned down version of what i want. i have no idea where to go to get my hair how i want...

01-01-2007
fashion insider

Haha, I feel lucky compare to you guys. I do not have an exact image of what I want, as long as my hair is short short, looks good on me, I am ok. The guy I have been visiting satisfies my need. Not being pretensious, just sharing my hair dresser experience. However, my hair looks crappy after one month, because it grows rapidly. It might have to do with my metabolism.

unknown
02-01-2007
trendsetter

I've never heard of such stylists who won't give you what you want, you are the client. I would leave straight away if they got into an attitude with me about what I wanted.

03-01-2007
Swim Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
every time i get my hair cut...
i hate it...

it's too 'styled' or 'polished'...

the guy who cuts my hair is a close friend and he is super talented...
but he works at a salon on madison ave across from chanel and he has this thing about 'pretty' hair...
he always wants to blend the layers and smooth out the rough edges...
***which are the very things that i want to keep...!!

but i can't seem to find anyone else who gets me either...
so i just keep going back to him because he is very talented and i never look bad....
it's just that i don't look exactly how i would like to look...
it's too 'uptown' and not 'cool' enough for me....

is it ever even possible to get your hair exactly how you want it?

i can dress myself and i can put on my own make up...
but i cannot cut my own hair...so it is never exactly what i want...
what's a girl to do?!?!?....

(i used to cut my own hair-that should tell you something about how much this irritates me!)
i am exactly the same i dye my own hair for the same reason....too uniform, too polished, just wrong. same with cuting...hate how they blow dry it all straight and flat to my head but if you ask for volume you end up looking like crystall carrington.....my mum cut my hair last. a bit raggedy but thats actually the oint...i want some raggedy edges. have always liked the idea of 'disconnected' hair.ie. like long hair chopped off with blunt scissors where little long bits get left behind. but no-one ever gets it.

03-01-2007
backstage pass

how about trying out a new salon every now and then? if you go there for the first time only have your hair washed and styled so that you can see if the stylist understands your needs. this is how i found my hairdresser, she's a little girl in an average salon, but whoaaa, is she gifted!

03-01-2007
V.I.P.

chanel, I also like my hair only about a week or two after it's been cut..hate it the first few days. :p
The problem with me is that my hairdresser cuts too much off..but I still love her. I have another problem though. She always tones down my hair dye..when I want blonde, she does..honey coloured.. when I want chocolate brown she does...light ash brown.. she always does the subtle thing and I am a little annoyed by now because I want a change but she keeps leading me into the same direction..for the past 7 months she's been obsessed with keeping me a redhead..despite my protests..I always end up with reddish hair.

V.I.P.

hmmm... my hair is tousled and I guess chic (by others comments) when I wake up in the morning however, i have long hair not sure if it has the same effects with short hair.

The thing is no one is ever 100% satisfy with their hair after leaving the salon. Unless you asked for a shaved head...

anyhooo.....

either...
  • try not to comb your hair when you wake up?
  • get a wig and style it yourself to your liking. then put it on. No one would know
  • Go to Jean-Louis David on 46th St and Madison?

Last edited by smartarse; 04-01-2007 at 05:53 PM.
04-01-2007
tfs star

Hairdressers never listen, you always end up with their interpretation of what you asked for because they think they know best. I also hate the way they blow dry my hair, it always ends up looking ridiculous, really big and 'pouffy'. I have to run home before anyone sees me and wash it again and dry it myself to make me look normal. Very annoying!

05-01-2007
front row

I love my hair stylist, she is the most talented in the entire salon and is very interested in making the best out of my hair (which is hard... fine, straight, blah colour)
BUT:

she's very into making my hair all nice and smooth and whenever she styles it in the end, it's not what I want... it's soooo straight and thin (but glossy looking). She's cutting layers with a blade which is nice for my thin hair, but still.

It takes me a couple of days/weeks to get back to myself again

ETA: oh, and what bugs me most: I wanted to try a darker shade of dye, cos quite frankly, I AM pale but I want to flaunt it, you know? I think it would suit me. She insists on doing the same shade we did the first time over and over... and I think it's not as chocolate brown as I would want it to be... it's more reddish (I wanted to try sth NEW damnit... I can do reddish with henna myself...)

Last edited by aquamarine; 05-01-2007 at 05:59 AM.
06-01-2007
trendsetter

I wouldn't use henna unless you never plan on coloring your hair again. I thought about Henna, but you can't use chemicals over it so thats not an option.

06-01-2007
tea time

im going to the hairdresser on tuesday but im booked with a different stylist. she might be better who knows the hair cut i want isnt that hard its just a bowl cut bob with an asymetrical fringe lets just hope she cuts it short enough and gives it that nice rounded look.

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
06-01-2007
fashion elite

Can I just say I love my hair?
I think my hair is my utter best feature and the reason why people actually notice me or something. I don't know, but I mean I'd die to have lips like Ale, but then I think at least I have one great thing and that's definitley my hair.

07-01-2007
flaunt the imperfection

i have to say that i feel much better knowing that i am not alone in this...

:p...

thanks to everyone for sharing their stories...!...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, hate, rant, thread