How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-04-2008
Margiela's Muse

Maintaining dyed black hair - shampoo recommendations?
Hey
I'm heading out to the stores later & I wanted to see if I can get any recommendations on what the best color protecting or depositing shampoo for VERY black (cool, blueish toned) hair might be? I was planning on getting Artec's Blue Orchid products, but they are discontinued. Every other company features a shampoo for brown but not black hair. If I use those, it will make my hair warmer, and I'm not looking for that.

Any advice?
Thanks.

P.S. I never thought maintaining black hair would be so hard, especially as a natural dark brunette!

27-04-2008
& b

I use aveda's black malva hair conditioner, its highly pigmented and you can use it once or twice a week to keep your black hair, black.

Diamond

When my hair was black I also had good luck with Aveda's Black malva. Also, make sure your shampoo is sulfate free. Sulfates strip color. I like all of the Pureology shampoos; they're sulfate free, smell amazing, and last forever (a little goes a long way)

~Madeleine Albright
27-04-2008
Margiela's Muse

I think maybe I'll buy Aveda's Black Malva shampoo tomorrow from their salon on Spring Street. Thanks!

28-04-2008
Margiela's Muse

I used the Black Malva shampoo. I like the results, even though I was surprised the product was a deep red (which seems counterintuitive to combat brassiness). I'm a little concerned it actually lightened my black into a a very cool-toned brown, but it might be my imagination. Is the Black Malva shampoo sulfate-free? I also used Pantene's Midnight conditioner, and I am pleasantly surprised with how soft and shiny my hair is from it...and the actual conditioner is bluish toned, which I found reassuring.

Can I use the Black Malva shampoo every time I wash my hair? I guess since its a colorcare product, it certainly wouldn't make my color fade from its ingredients....
I guess.

02-05-2008
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleebee View Post
I used the Black Malva shampoo. I like the results, even though I was surprised the product was a deep red (which seems counterintuitive to combat brassiness). I'm a little concerned it actually lightened my black into a a very cool-toned brown, but it might be my imagination. Is the Black Malva shampoo sulfate-free? I also used Pantene's Midnight conditioner, and I am pleasantly surprised with how soft and shiny my hair is from it...and the actual conditioner is bluish toned, which I found reassuring.

Can I use the Black Malva shampoo every time I wash my hair? I guess since its a colorcare product, it certainly wouldn't make my color fade from its ingredients....
I guess.
I don't know whether Black Malva contains sulfates or not but you can use it everyday. If you find that it's not maintaining the color you like, you can try Aveda Blue Malva (shampoo and conditioner) which will remove brassy tones from all hair colors. I would get the conditioner (not too crazy about the shampoo).

~Madeleine Albright
17-06-2008
rock-chic

I use Henara Colour Enhancing Shampoo. At one time, it was available in black everywhere, but you rarely see the actual black one now. If I can't get the black, I use the one for Dark Shades which is a very dark brown colour, but doesn't make your hair turn brown from black. It DOES make it really shiny & feel nice.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
black, dyed, hair, maintaining, recommendations, shampoo