How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-01-2005
trendsetter

Oily / Greasy Hair
Hi,
I need help! I've always been very happy with my hair, but lately it's been very, very oily. Can anyone recommend a shampoo, mask, conditioner or a diet that may help me control the oil.Thanx a lot guys!

05-01-2005
tfs star

Paul Mitchell tea tree clarifying shampoo should help.

V.I.P.

^ My favorite new beauty find (although I don't think it's a new product) is Bumble & Bumble Hair Powder. It's a dry shampoo that absorbs oil & adds texture to your hair. It's meant for use between shampoos and allows those of us with oily hair to go 2-3 days without washing which will help the health of you hair tremendously, not to mention it's a timesaver!!

As far as regular shampoos and conditioners, I would just look for something lightweight. I'm also in love with Bumble & Bumble's Thickening conditioner. Adds body, but it's lightweight. Perfect for the problem hair of both oily & fine!

05-01-2005
V.I.P.

I also have oily hair and found out that the best way is to wash your hair as often as you can! (that means at least once a day, and whenever you can, twice a day!)

05-01-2005
trendsetter

[QUOTE=Kimkhuu]I also have oily hair and found out that the best way is to wash your hair as often as you can! (that means at least once a day, and whenever you can, twice a day!)[/QUOTE

Isn't it bad for your hair to wash it so often? that's at least what I've been hearing

06-01-2005
V.I.P.

^ You're right. It's not supposed to be good for it. It dries it out making it prone to split ends, frizzies and general dullness. Not to mention it will strip your hair of its color prematurely if you don't have the luxury of going au-natural!

10-01-2005
within an embrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious
^ You're right. It's not supposed to be good for it. It dries it out making it prone to split ends, frizzies and general dullness. Not to mention it will strip your hair of its color prematurely if you don't have the luxury of going au-natural!
Not only that, but supposedly it aggravates the problem more. You create such dryness to your hair that your hair will overcompensate and produce MORE oil.

10-01-2005
woolgathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misako
Not only that, but supposedly it aggravates the problem more. You create such dryness to your hair that your hair will overcompensate and produce MORE oil.
^ But wouldn't the Bumble powder do the same thing?

I have oily hair as well and I don't know what to believe. I once had my hair analyzed at J.F. Lazartique and they said the most important thing to do was to keep the scalp as clean as possible. However, when I wash it everyday it looks and feels so dry...I'm confused.

14-01-2005
trendsetter

Today I bought the Korres shampoo @ Sephora. It's supposed to be really good for oily hair. It's the Sage & Nettle kind. and it marketed for oily hair (finally one that actually states it good for oily hair only) it was $14 for a 8.5 fl oz. I will keep u updated in about a week. I hope it works.

14-01-2005
V.I.P.

My scalp is quite oily but my ends are very, very, very dry!!! I wash every 2 days because by the end of the second day, the portion of my hair close to the scalp is limp and has no body (I think it's because of the sebum). My problem is my hair ends. They're so yucky that most of the time, I put my hair up but apparently this is not good for my oily scalp as there's no air flow. I read somewhere that rose hip oil is good for very dry hair. Has anyone had any experience with rose hip oil on hair? Would it help my hair ends? Because I cannot bear to not wash my hair after the second day.

14-01-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar07
My scalp is quite oily but my ends are very, very, very dry!!! I wash every 2 days because by the end of the second day, the portion of my hair close to the scalp is limp and has no body (I think it's because of the sebum). My problem is my hair ends. They're so yucky that most of the time, I put my hair up but apparently this is not good for my oily scalp as there's no air flow. I read somewhere that rose hip oil is good for very dry hair. Has anyone had any experience with rose hip oil on hair? Would it help my hair ends? Because I cannot bear to not wash my hair after the second day.
I have the sme problem, though I dont put my hair up. I dont know what to do either because I wash my hair every 2nd day, I use conitioner and all that stuff, but there are no results.

14-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah
I have the sme problem, though I dont put my hair up. I dont know what to do either because I wash my hair every 2nd day, I use conitioner and all that stuff, but there are no results.
Deborah, I also use rinse off conditioner (for dry and damaged hair), leave in conditioner and even anti frizz but only on the ends ... it only helps in terms of my hair not getting tangled up but it still looks very dry and frizzy.

14-01-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar07
Deborah, I also use rinse off conditioner (for dry and damaged hair), leave in conditioner and even anti frizz but only on the ends ... it only helps in terms of my hair not getting tangled up but it still looks very dry and frizzy.
Check out this link, you can find some good advices there. I will also try to keep them in mind. May be we really need some kind of oil treatment?

http://beauty.ivillage.com/discuss/a...=adid=13269415

Last edited by Deborah; 14-01-2005 at 09:17 AM.
14-01-2005
front row

The Body Shop sells this shampoo + conditioner, Nettle Oil Balance. I started using it a few weeks ago and I can already see a difference.

http://thebodyshop.com/bodyshop/brow...tId=prod170007

http://thebodyshop.com/bodyshop/brow...tId=prod170030

14-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah
Check out this link, you can find some good advices there. I will also try to keep them in mind. May be we really need some kind of oil treatment?

http://beauty.ivillage.com/discuss/a...=adid=13269415
Thanks for the link! I'm presently complying with the "treatment on ends only". I let my hair dry naturally and do not apply any styling products. The last time I colored my hair was about 4 years ago. But when the article said about using shampoos that are too harsh makes sense. I'll try switching to an organic type an see if that works!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
greasy, hair, oily