How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-02-2011
rising star

The painful growing out phase: from short to...something managable.
I cut my hair a while a go into a pixie which looked great but a few months later I find myself longing for my long hair. I've reached the point were I can tie the back of my hair into a small wispy pony tail and bobby pin the rest of the hair up, which looks ok I guess, but it gets old.

Everyone who has cut their hair short (I mean, neck grazingly short) goes through the much feared "growing out phase" Let's post pictures of growing out styles to help us deal with it.

I think Carey Mulligan is growing her short hair
gracefully

Unfortunately my hair isn't that long on the sides yet...I think I'll have to cut the back a bit so my hair won't look mullet-y but I'm so scared of going to the hairdresser...I feel like the inches my hair has grown are precious lol, I don't want to lose them.

source: Lackymag.com
source: allvoices.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carey Mulligan-460.jpg (102.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 63451994-actress-carey.jpg (22.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 63451995-screenwriter-alex.jpg (24.0 KB, 2 views)

05-02-2011
V.I.P.

Oh I so know what you are going thru.
Thank god, hair grow longer pretty fast (I know it not might feel like that now...)..before you actually notice it.

Hairbands, colorful pins, little teeny tiny braids. Those were my essentials for growing out hair. Also when my hair did grow out little bit I made little waves using little curler. It made my hair look full, becayse flat short hair is my nightmare.

Oh, and do not focus your hair so much. Put some nice clothes, try different make-up. Seriously that helps also!

If you feel like your hair will get the mullet look I suggest you to go hair dresser, tell to cut only LITTLE BIT and maybe put some new colour!

Argh, those Carey pictures actually made me wanna cut my hair short again!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

is (H)appy

how about, instead of cutting it, going crazy and having some fun with it by gelling it up into a faux-hawk or spikes? some alternative, punk-tastic bad *** chick fun?
it could be really sexy and playful, kindof rockabilly meets grunge-chic.
try it, you never know!

from ghddiscount.com

from picasaweb.com

from latesthaircut.com

rising star

Thanks girls!

I was thinking of styling my hair into a faux-hawk...I always wondered how I would look with a mohawk but never had the guts to actually do it, so a faux-hawk seems like a good option!

The only thing that is a bit of a problem for me is finding the right product. I have extremely fine hair, really wispy too and with some products weigh it down so it looks lank. I haven't tried using gel since...ever, I think. Do all gels leave you with hard hair? I really like how the girls in the pictures above have styled their hair while still having natural looking hair (ie. shiny, flexible-looking) Does anyone know of a product that would help me achieve a faux-hawk without making my hair feel and look like it has tons of product in it?

07-02-2011
V.I.P.

I only recently cut my hair short and even though I'm not planning on changing it right now, I'm already dreading the moment I'll have to grow it out I even thought about having it like this forever, but I know I will get bored with it sooner or later and want to have it longer again...

I guess what you can do (esp. during the colder seasons) is hide your hair under hats, beanies, etc. or pull it back with hairbands. I'd definitely go to the hairdresser's every once in a while, just to give it some shape. A good cut is key!

backstage pass

Ugh, my hair is definitely in this phase right now. I'm growing out my pixie and my hair is just long enough to have a tiny pony tail in the back with the sides out like the first poster.

The mullet-look is my greatest fear while growing out my hair. I've already had to trim the back 3 times to keep my mullet at bay. haha

I can only suggest tiny ponytails, headbands, hair clips. And if you have the face for it, you can cut your hair into a short bowl cut once it gets a bit of length on the sides, I've tried that look as well.

trendsetter

I'm trying to grow my hair out too. I pixied it in October, and right now, there's not a whole lot I can do to it besides put it in pigtails. Blech.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
growing, managable, painful, phase, short, tosomething