How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-07-2010
scenester

Sorry to double post... But would purple shampoo (for maintaining blonde hair) also work for purple shades? I used to have white hair and when I left it in for too long, my hair would turn purple. Can anyone help me out on this?

21-07-2010
V.I.P.

I've been dying my hair for 13 years straight now The last time I had my natural hair color was when I was 11 years old. I've never bleached it though, so my hair is not damaged at all from dying it so often. But I don't think you have to worry about your hair falling out or anything.

I had a mix of half a dozen hair colors in my hair when I started dying it purple. There was some black left, some dark purple, dark red, light red, light brown, red brown...yeah, a lot. But no matter what color my hair originally was, the purple dye always had the same effect (except for when my hair was all black, that would just give a purple-reddish shimmer, obviously) and it would always fade to that pale-ish red after a few weeks.

No idea about the shampoo thing either, sorry

21-07-2010
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
I've been dying my hair for 13 years straight now The last time I had my natural hair color was when I was 11 years old. I've never bleached it though, so my hair is not damaged at all from dying it so often. But I don't think you have to worry about your hair falling out or anything.

I had a mix of half a dozen hair colors in my hair when I started dying it purple. There was some black left, some dark purple, dark red, light red, light brown, red brown...yeah, a lot. But no matter what color my hair originally was, the purple dye always had the same effect (except for when my hair was all black, that would just give a purple-reddish shimmer, obviously) and it would always fade to that pale-ish red after a few weeks.

No idea about the shampoo thing either, sorry
Thanks a lot I stopped bleaching it about six months ago and it was pretty healthy (well, for bleached hair), so hopefully it will be okay.

25-07-2010
front row

anyone know of a drugstore brand in the US that is a good purple dye? i've been trying to find them and most of the ones i find are more on reddish-purple side...

26-07-2010
scenester

I used Schwarzkopf's 'Ultra Violet' over my dyed red hair. While my hair is not exactly purple, I can't expect it to be, especially considering there is red underneath it. I have seen this dye used on some other people and their hair is definitely purple! My hair is a lot darker, but perhaps more of a burgundy colour.

27-07-2010
rock-chic

I used to use Schwarzkopf Live Color XXL in Mystic Violet. It was quite subtle on me as my hair is very dark brown, but you could really see it well under lights.

scenester

Has anyone tried Jerome Russel's 'Punky Colors' in Plum?

23-09-2010
fashion insider

^ I've tried the Atlantic Blue mixed with Violet? on unbleached hair tho. the effect is super super subtle on my black hair
apparently cool toned purple's are harder to come by. i personally do not like the look of red or reddish tones in my hair so i can totally relate to others' frustrations.

07-10-2010
V.I.P.

I just dyed my hair with Stargazer Plume and it turned out awesome! I love it. Too bad it's only semi-permanent.

But my bathroom and my skin is a huge mess because of this hair dye, it's on my hands and ears and everywhere and I can't get it off

my photos

17-10-2010
fashion insider

did you use bleach before hand?
that's pretty close to the results i've been aiming for but can't seem to get right on my own (sans bleach). i'm really wanting more eggplant and no red like in this photo:
purple.jpg
ellastica scan

17-10-2010
V.I.P.

^Nope, I didn't bleach it.

Here's a better picture where my hair isn't wet :p

Surprisingly the color hasn't faded that much it. At least not more than the permanent hair dye I normally use.

ellastica, I think you could possibly get that color with Stargazer's Purple shade, depending on what color your hair currently is. I find my hair to look exactly as the sample promised and there's also the option of mixing their colors (for example you could mix Violet and Purple) if you don't want to have a too punky result. I'm really happy with their products and I think I'll only use their hair dye from now on (I'll stick to the less extreme ones of them, though )

Last edited by Psylocke; 17-10-2010 at 09:27 AM.
17-10-2010
windowshopping

My hairdresser didn't actually have pink hair dye originally but when I told him about my ideas, he found some for me. I'm no expert on hairdressing either but I would expect that a salon might have easier access to more shades if you couldn't find what you wanted on the market.
I was also worried it would be weird for me to ask for an unnatural hair color but he had fun giving me pink and it really was no big deal at all.

07-11-2010
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
I just dyed my hair with Stargazer Plume and it turned out awesome! I love it. Too bad it's only semi-permanent.
Psylocke, what colour was your hair before you put this semi-permanent in?

07-11-2010
V.I.P.

My hair was a red-ish mid-brown when I dyed it.
The purple color lasted for about 3 weeks (I wash my hair every day ) until it really started fading.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, purple