How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-10-2004
windowshopping

so, I'm desperately trying to grow my hair.My dream hair would be atleast under my shoulder-blade, they're now a bit under my shoulders. I have my natural colour in my hair, last time when I did something (other than cutting ) to my hair (I coloured it to dark brown,wasn't my colour! ), it was February, so it's been a long time. I've cutted it every six weeks, and I'm using shampoo and conditioner (Tigi's Manipulator) that my hairdresser recommended to me. I don't use any other hairproducts.any tips how could I get healthier, stonger and longer hair??

22-10-2004
I loved you

sounds good so far! i also would eat, excersize, sleep, drink healthy.

22-10-2004
V.I.P.

I'm attempting to grow my hair out, too.

I would recommend to wash it max. 4-5x a week, not every day, so that it won't get too dried out. Try to eliminate heat styling like irons and blow drying as much as possible, because it might damage hair.
Avoid colouring your hair until you reach your desired length..

There were some vitamins that could help take care of hair, but I forgot what they were. If I remember, I'll get back to ya.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by twilight fairy@Oct 22 2004, 11:46 AM
There were some vitamins that could help take care of hair, but I forgot what they were. If I remember, I'll get back to ya.
[snapback]404317[/snapback]
Biotin - it's a B-vitamin complex... or something... I'll have to look it up.

...OK, here's a bit of information.

Storm & Sommer

Zink is great as well..especially if you feel you're loosing to much hair.
(If you take iron supplements don't take zink at the same time as they counter each other out)

pinterest : hanneonpin
29-10-2004
rising star

Hi!
I´ve just saw your post and I really understand how sad is to feel like having long hair and just don´t getting there. My advice is DON´T cut your hair.DON´T go to the salon at least for the first 6 months. Hairdressers only know how to cut, and they end up doing that, no matter what.
In my experience hair doesn´t get that damaged, and the only way to see some progress is to LET IT GROW.
After 6 months, if you really feel the urge to cut, go to somebody you trust and tell them NOT to cut more than half an inch, even if it is irregular. The urge to "even" hair is the worst enemy of growing. Then, in a year or so, when you have longer hair you can begin to "shape" it,but if you want long hair STAY AWAY FROM SCISSORS.

You´ve gotta be careful with the blowdrying (low setting) and skip it when possible.
Jojoba oil is great to tame frizzy and kinda fried hair while growing.

Here´s a great link:

http://www.tlhs.org/

They´re kinda fanatics of looooooong hair, but there I found lotsa tips and encouragement.

GOOD LUCK!

29-10-2004
kabhi alvida

in my experience if you have to go to the hairdresser b/c split ends are getting really bad, think of how much you want off-say an inch-and tell them half an inch-because they will always cut more.

Storm & Sommer

If part of the problem is that your hair snaps, you could try REDKEN's Anti-snap a leave-in treatment for distressed hair.

But maybe it's all going to be in vain (yeah I knooow..I'm a kill-joy) according to medical research the lenght of your hair is all down to genetics

"The regulation of human hair growth is one of the most mysterious of biologic events. Genetic factors are responsible for the density, length, color and texture of hair. Heredity disorders can affect either hair alone, hair and other ectodermal structures, or can be pansystemic. This paper considers all heredity disorders which affect human hair growth. These disorders are divided into three categories: 1) the dysmorphic syndromes; 2) the modifier gene abnormalities and 3) the single major gene abnormalities. The disorders in these categories are listed, along with the mode of inheritance, cause, hair phenotype and the extent of involvement. The utilitarian function of the study of human hair growth is illustrated. Insight into problems of differentiation can be most rapidly expanded using this approach."

Link to the medical publication

If you want to read up on it..in more plain lanuage I suggest you google : human hair length genetics

Another link for you: how-to-grow-long-hair

Personally my hair stops growning 1 1/2 inch / 5 cm below my shoulders..

Good Luck in your quest for longer hair

pinterest : hanneonpin
01-11-2004
trendsetter

Don't brush your hair at night, as its at its most weakest then.

Just comb through, with a wide tooth comb. This should prevent breakage.

Good luck on growing your hair!

A champagne supernova in the sky
01-11-2004
yes

hair massages are so good for your hair!

01-11-2004
rising star

I agree with most of the tips you can find in the link Hanne provided, except that one that says you should cut all damaged hair before starting to grow.
Unless you have zen monk patience and peace of mind, if you want long hair, and you start cutting you´re gonna feel miserable.
My advice is to let hair grow and take gooood care of the somehow fried locks (blow bry professionally for big ocassions) and only begin the cutting when you already have some hair, and you won´t feel too naked. That´s my opinion, and it worked for me...

01-11-2004
Iowa Girl at Heart

I always want my hair to be longer

Sounds like you're doing well... an all-around healthy lifestyle also promotes hair growth.

I've also hear that Vitamin E helps... I think that's the right one.

You're good to be getting it cut pretty often... trims also promote growth. Personally, I get mine trimmed every 12 weeks. They say 6-8, but I don't use heat at all (no blow dryers, curling irons) or styling products (my hair is too fine and fussy), so I prolong my cuts. But it is a fact that getting trims are great for hair growth.

Good luck!

scenester

U should be using a good hair product, I would resommend Kerastasse.. It's excellent.. ask ur hairdresser to recommend the right one for u..

U could use oil to massage ur scalp with, coconut/sesame/mustard oil r EXCELLENT.. warm it and with ur fingertips massage a generous amount on ur scalp.. keep massaging for 10-15 mins and leave for half an hr b4 washing..

Don't shampoo ur hair often, depending..If ur hair is soo dry every 4 days, and if it's oily every alternative day .. if it's beyond oily ok then wash it daily =)

01-11-2004
yes

i forgot to mention.....

Perfectil tablets are great...... http://www.perfectil.com
and also hydrallysed collagen makes your hair grow so well

01-11-2004
rising star

Cutting does not promote growth...how would the cutting of the last part of an absolutely non-living material like hair influence the follicle? It´s just a legend.
Sure, hair looks healthier when you cut it, but it´s just because you substract a damaged part, not because it actually does somehing to the remaining hair.

My advice of staying away from salons is only for the first stages of growth....until you reach the lenght you like.
Later you may trim every other month if you like it , to make it look more polished and get rid of the tips that always get damaged the most.

Many of my friends were convinced that their hair didn´t grow, but it was only that they were loosing all their bimothly growtn under the scissors.

Hey... in the salons they charge you for cutting...growing it´s for free...

It´s good to keep that in mind when heading the salon

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
growing, hair, qanda, short