How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-10-2009
front row

I love red hair. I'm so jealous of everyone who's born with it.

20-10-2009
backstage pass

Recent red shade. My hairdresser put on a rich copper shade with a tiny bit of red brown then added a glaze.

02-11-2009
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ Awesome color..

Could you tell me... how much does it cost to get color professionally done? Can you believe... I've never colored my hair??

03-11-2009
rising star

Can't have a red hair thread without at least mentioning Carrot Top..

(ihatesomuch.com)

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
^ Awesome color..

Could you tell me... how much does it cost to get color professionally done? Can you believe... I've never colored my hair??
It depends on where you live, the complexity of the process, and the experience of the stylist.

Generally I think of single-process good color costing around $100 in NYC, up to $300-400 for a complex process (say color correction, double process, or a full head of foils in multiple shades) from a reputable salon. I've paid $60-80 before but it was never any better than when I did it myself from a box or mix.

If you want to save money and are ok with being a bit adventurous, hair modelling was a great way to get crazy colour done for free, I did it with Toni + Guy for years and it was awesome until I started wanting a more natural look. I've had a lot of reds with various weird pink, salmon, gold, and raspberry tones, which worked strangely well together... a few examples of unusual colour highlights not looking quite so unusual:

two variations with pink and gold:

magentas and purple:

04-11-2009
front row

I'm not sure if it's been asked yet, but does anyone know of any good colour depositing products for red hair? I'd like something I could use once a week or so just to freshen up my red. (I actually like the colour my hair fades to, but have clip in hair extentions and am sick of only being able to wear them like the first week my hair gets dyed )

04-11-2009
backstage pass

I get my hair colored at my local JCPenney salon. It costs $60 for a single process color then every few months she'll put a glaze on. That's $20 extra I believe.

04-11-2009
tfs star

I have been mixing manic panic tigerlily and special effects naplam orange and I loooooove it!!! The napalm orange is meant to glow under UV lights but I only managed to find one last week and I have washed it plenty since I dyed it, booooo. Here it is (excuse the pic, I was at a party and v.v. messy!!)

V.I.P.

rachelbojangles I absolutely adore your hair colour and your haircut looks great.

leave me with your Borneo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goregeous View Post
I'm not sure if it's been asked yet, but does anyone know of any good colour depositing products for red hair? I'd like something I could use once a week or so just to freshen up my red. (I actually like the colour my hair fades to, but have clip in hair extentions and am sick of only being able to wear them like the first week my hair gets dyed )
Aveda Madder Root color conditioner works very well... their color conditioners are not very conditioning or moisturizing, but deposit quite a bit of color. If you normally use conditioner, I would follow up the Aveda with some of your own. Madder Root is a good true red color - they used to offer a shade called Bixa which was a perfect orange copper, but sadly they discontinued it.

V.I.P.

rite now my hair looks like this

my pic

i absolutely love the colour...the problem is, my roots are MASSIVE and i NEED to dye it...but its not even a proper colour...
ive had it coloured in March, i went from black to BRIGHT orange...obviously they had to bleach it first...when the colour faded i put a drug store do it yourself colour (i think it was Schwarzkopf Live 'Real Red') but it faded pretty quickly too so i just let it be and thats the result now...
i really dont know what do with my hair...whether to bleach it and go blonde, or stay a redhead...
i need help!!!!!!!! any suggestions?

front row

Fairy: I'd bleach it, I love blonde hair.

I'm thinking about toying with some highlights, I'm a natural ginger so do you think blonde streaks would be too harsh? Or should I go for something a bit more subtle like a strawberry blonde?

I brought this up earlier but it looks like it got buried. What does everyone think of bleached eyebrows on a redhead? I saw a few models with this look and I'm only considering it because I overplucked my brows and they all grew back an ashy brown. Copper dye comes out every two weeks, so I'm looking for something a bit more permeant.

08-11-2009
windowshopping

I have auburn hair and it's much darker than when I was younger wish it would lighten up! I'm on the right: (photo credit: my facebook)

08-11-2009
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ I know what you mean... I was blonde growing up, but as I've progressed into my twenties my hair has turned more towards a strawberry blonde.

09-11-2009
backstage pass

My color as of today. My hair lady mixed copper and a gold additive.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, red