How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-12-2005
trendsetter

I have always been jealous of red hair, there is just something about it that makes it look amazing. I have black hair, and I was wondering if subtle red highlights might look ok? Or just plain silly?

Last edited by Avant Garde; 12-12-2005 at 05:49 PM.

12-12-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avant Garde
I have always been jealous of red hair, there is just something about it that makes it look amazing. I have black hair, and I was wondering if subtle red highlights might look ok? Or just plain silly?
Highlights are a good way to go. The shade would depend on your skin tone. I think its, darker skin with warm colors and fair skin goes with lighter, cooler shades of red.Does anyone know if that's right or wrong?

12-12-2005
backstage pass

I love red hair!! I'm sorry I don't think i'll be too much help.. whenever I dye hair it's usually a neon color

My fave models: Gemma, Sasha, Stammy, Trentini, Vlada <3
16-12-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by palyxa
Highlights are a good way to go. The shade would depend on your skin tone. I think its, darker skin with warm colors and fair skin goes with lighter, cooler shades of red.Does anyone know if that's right or wrong?
That sounds good to me. Thanks!

04-05-2006
Storm &amp;amp;amp; Sommer

from www.vogue.co.uk
Trade Secrets

Karen Elson, supermodel: ''My hair is not naturally red, it's more of a mousy strawberry blonde. I first dyed it when I was 16. I wanted it to be bright red but it came out like Ziggy Stardust. I washed it about 20 times but it wouldn't come out and I had to go to school with it. I often still dye it myself using Clairol hair dye [try Nice'n Easy in Light Auburn, 4.30].

04-05-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryingAngel
what colors goes with natural red hair?
sorry if i posted this the wrong place, didnt know where to post

i'm a natural redhead, and i wear nearly any color, but it depends on the shade and the undertones.

then again, i'm pretty adventurous.

29-06-2006
fashion elite

Ahhh red hair.

So unique. So stunning. So vibrant.

But if not natural, the hardest color to get rid of.. and the first to fade quickly.

Like the original poster... I'm blonde and I've put red in my hair. After just one week I'm annoyed with how much it has faded. And you're lookin' at someone who really takes care of their color... I wash only 3-4 times a week!

29-06-2006
V.I.P.

I am brunette and i would like to have my hair red but i guess i need to have it blonde at first?...

29-06-2006
backstage pass

Stefanie, try a red glaze, that helps keep the color from fading so quickly. Also, use a good shampoo that doesn't strip your hair of color, nothing that says "clarifying". Terax has a very gently shampoo for colored hair. Hope that helps

29-06-2006
backstage pass

Eyelul, you don't have to go bleach blonde, just break the dark color up. This explains it:

http://www.morbidoutlook.com/fashion...2_redhair.html

Good Luck

01-07-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by palyxa
Stefanie, try a red glaze, that helps keep the color from fading so quickly. Also, use a good shampoo that doesn't strip your hair of color, nothing that says "clarifying". Terax has a very gently shampoo for colored hair. Hope that helps
Oh no worries on that.. I use salon shampoo
But because I was so dang blonde before I used deposite only color... it always fades fast

01-07-2006
tfs star

http://models.com/oftheminute/archiv...a-d-3-9-e-.jpg i like her red hairs
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/1654/RedAlert.jpg

11-07-2006
backstage pass

i want red hair so badly! i think i'm gonna go for the shade emily has in the devil wears prada...can't wait!

20-09-2006
windowshopping

Ooh, I'm considering red hair myself. Good excuse for being pale all year round! I'm naturally a mousy, dark blonde - does anybody have experience with going red? Thinking about a natural, coppery red on the lighter side. I might have to get my eyebrows done as well, has anyone done this and how was the results?

20-09-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristessa
Ooh, I'm considering red hair myself. Good excuse for being pale all year round! I'm naturally a mousy, dark blonde - does anybody have experience with going red? Thinking about a natural, coppery red on the lighter side. I might have to get my eyebrows done as well, has anyone done this and how was the results?
I'm a red-head now but I've dyed my hair a million times, so much that the red doesn't stay in very long I have to touch it up again. Anyway, I'm a natural dirty-blonde/brown with dark, dark eyebrows and I use facial hair bleach to bleach my eyebrows so that they become a reddish color to match my hair. While you can use hair dye to color your eyebrows, I use the facial hair bleach just because it's a lot easier to do (I'm lazy).

And I've found that it's really easy to dye my hair red....my hair isn't that dark, but it's not that light either. The only problem is getting just the perfect shade of red. I always use the at-home hair dye kits because I've had horrible results at salons. I've done a million different shades of red before I've finally found the right one. This is what I have (bangs and all):

http://www.amasveritas.com/film/imag...gillian/7.html

I have a lot of the same features that Nicole Kidman has....pale skin, pale eyes (mine are green) and delicate facial features so it looks pretty natural on me.

Anyway, depending on how much money you want to spend and how well you trust your hair stylist, you might want to go to a salon first if you're nervous about dying your hair. But if you have experience dying your hair then hair dye kits do just as well as salon dye jobs.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, red