How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard / Hair Care
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-09-2006
windowshopping

Thank you soo much Vain Jane!

My, that picture shows a really beautiful red shade, just what I want! I just recently found a really, really good stylist, so I won't do it at home. The only thing that worries me is that I'm used to highlights now, and they are so low maintenance on my part, I can go months without re-doing them. I just hope the frequent trips to the salon will be worth it...

24-08-2007
front row

I thought I would revive this thread as I have decided to get myself to the salon soon and become a red head Ive never dyed it red before and I am a little nervous seeing as red is supposed to fade quickly after
Have any red heads out there got any tips? I have pale blue based skin with light hazel eyes and light brown hair. Do you think it would work?

26-08-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballroombeliever View Post
I thought I would revive this thread as I have decided to get myself to the salon soon and become a red head Ive never dyed it red before and I am a little nervous seeing as red is supposed to fade quickly after
Have any red heads out there got any tips? I have pale blue based skin with light hazel eyes and light brown hair. Do you think it would work?
Use colour-protecting shampoos & conditioners especially for red hair. Don't use anti-daindruff shampoos as I find they make the colour fade way quicker.

28-08-2007
fashion elite

more redheads

all handbag.com

29-08-2007
front row

Oh thank you for the pictures
Im thinking of going a Karen Elson esque red but a bit deeper, nothing too orange. I also read somewhere that to revive red hair you pour cranberry juice on it When I dye mine red I think I may try that trick before I invest in pricey shampoos.

29-08-2007
backstage pass

Who is the model in the middle of the bottom row? I love her look, but I don't recognise her.

29-08-2007
backstage pass

I just adore Karen's hair in these (from Getty/her thread on tFS). She would have been a perfect Pre-Raphaelite!

I also love Nicole Kidman's hair in Moulin Rouge:

moulinrouge.splinder.com

www.nidinfo.com

29-08-2007
V.I.P.

Olga Sherer, Karen Elson, Lily Cole are my favorite current-redheads... but I loved Stammy as a redhead too!

front row

That picture of Nicole Kidman is exactly the hair I want
I just dont understand why she's gone blonde now

30-08-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballroombeliever View Post
That picture of Nicole Kidman is exactly the hair I want
I just dont understand why she's gone blonde now
Oh, me neither. She was just divine with that hair. If I looked like that with red hair, I would never change it to blonde!

04-09-2007
fashion elite

Tried & tested for you:
Colour enhancers for reds

By Yanar Alkayat

Every month, we test your favourite beauty booty to find out what's hot and what's not. This time, it's colour boosters for redheads...

Whether a natural or from a bottle, redheads are hot, hot, hot. Maintaing richness and vibrancy is key and as our tester, Anna Johnsson, is not a natural red, her colour can be quick to fade. These masks and conditioners, which all contain small levels of colour pigment, have the tough task of re-lighting the fieriness in Anna's hair...

Redken Colour Extend Highlight Fuel
£14.25

'Great fruity smell and loved the packaging and the plastic bags to dispose of the product after use were extra handy. This made my hair really soft but not much impact on colour - bit like using a really nice conditioner'
Stockist: 0800 444 880

John Frieda Luminous Colour Glaze
£4.29

'A simple, easy to use product although the smell wasn't that pleasant. Three minutes on wet hair makes it great for quick, in-shower use. It was a bit too drying for my fine hair though, so maybe better suited to thicker hair'
Stockist: available nationwide

Goldwell Color Glow Stay Red Fluid
£8.95

'This is a light fluid with a nice smell and non-sticky texture, which makes a change to the sticky serums I often use. My hair was soft and bouncy after drying naturally, even the bits at the ends that usually are extra dry and dull were super soft. I didn't notice much colour-boosting, but the softness is well-worth paying for'
Stockist: 01323 432100

Wella Lifetex Illuminating Mask for Red Hair
£7.75

'Easy-to-use bottle with a thick, smooth lotion to spread over clean, towel-dried hair. Smells nice and fruity and made hair smell gorgeous. I was very impressed with the natural red colour and shininess of my hair. Great if you've got the time to spare, nor so good if you're rushed.'
Stockist: www.salonfinder.co.uk

The Body Shop Henna Natural Hair Colour
£4.50

'This needs time and patience but results are an intense, red colour. The henna powder mixed with water got a bit messy and quite difficult to apply to dry hair. Development time is also quite vague on the packet (15 mins-5 hours) but after 20-25 minutes my hair definitely had a vibrant boost of colour to it
Stockist: 01903 844554

handbag.com

Last edited by laisla; 04-09-2007 at 04:51 AM.
04-09-2007
fashion elite

hanbag.com

06-09-2007
front row

Im unsure of what to do with my eyebrows when I go red Ive bought a soft auburn clinique eyebrow pencil though but I dont want to have fiery eyebrows like Marcia cross (much as I love her)

07-09-2007
fashion elite

^ Im a natural red head but my eyebrows are more of a light brown. Ive always filled in any gaps with the lightest brown penicl so that the colour of my brows is lifted slightly. I think it really depends on what shade of red you will be colouring your hair. Just play about with different brow colours before you settle on one.

Susie bubble has just brought to attention this issue of Androgyny magazine dedicated to redheads!

http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style...-for-the-.html

all images scanned by Susie Bubble.

07-09-2007
front row

Thanks for the advice and the pictures

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, red